Top Posters In This Topic

• win

• Willie

• Turbota

• Tomas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

senseless

Per the other thread I bet half of the 5.9 for USA are from spill over violence from mexico.

It's much easier for countries like england and australia when you have an ocean to protect you from third world neighbors.

I live in Colombia and I think the rate is down to about 39 now. It has been dropping steadily for a decade. Colombia is in rapid transformation into a country with rule of law (the opposite direction of Mexico).

Thats why I was so surprised. One of my good friends is colombian and his uncle is or was a general in the military there. Lots of stories. I could have sworn that it was a lot better now than it use to be. Glad to hear it is.

How long you been there? Hows life down there? Do you find it more enjoyable than PH? Theres quite a bit of high quality hip-hop music coming out of there. Most of it being political in orientation. I think 20 years of violence, they're finally fed up with it. Some of my fav artists are colombian. Asilo - Dejame Fumar best song of all time.

Edited by senseless

More Foeigners Found Dead

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

CAMP OLIVAS -- Two foreigners and a Filipina were found dead in their rented apartments in Angeles City, the police said Tuesday.

Angeles City police director Danilo Bautista said James Bolton Porter, 51, a British national and his live-in partner, a certain Mellisa Madarang, 22, were found dead in their rented apartment at Sta. Maria Subdivision, Barangay Balibago, this city.

Bautista said police responded to the scene after neighbors complained of foul odor emanating from the victims residence.

It took a while before the police could enter the apartment as its main door was locked.

Porter and his live-in partner were found sprawled on the floor and both sustained injuries in different parts of their body, said Bautista.

Police suspected that burglars killed the victims as the couples personal computer was missing.

In a separate incident, Korean national Jaem Young Ko, 48, was found dead in his rented apartment in Villasol Subdivision, Barangay Anunas, this city.

Police found the dead body of Ko in his living room drenched in blood.

Bautista has ordered a thorough investigation on the case of the two dead foreigners to find out if there were foul plays on their death. (Ric Sapnu)

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/pampanga/foreigners-found-dead

Edited by Turbota

Singapore continues to be #1 or close to it for many good reasons; clean city, safety, and way of life. To me me it shows good governance. The government alone doesn't do this but it helps.

I live in Colombia and I think the rate is down to about 39 now. It has been dropping steadily for a decade. Colombia is in rapid transformation into a country with rule of law (the opposite direction of Mexico).

Thats why I was so surprised. One of my good friends is colombian and his uncle is or was a general in the military there. Lots of stories. I could have sworn that it was a lot better now than it use to be. Glad to hear it is.

How long you been there? Hows life down there? Do you find it more enjoyable than PH? Theres quite a bit of high quality hip-hop music coming out of there. Most of it being political in orientation. I think 20 years of violence, they're finally fed up with it. Some of my fav artists are colombian. Asilo - Dejame Fumar best song of all time.

Senseless, I lived in Medellin, Colombia for 3.5 months last year and 5 months this year, and 2 years ago I traveled throughout the country. I can only stay 180 days per year on a tourist visa. You generally need a pension, business, wife, or $200K home to get a long stay visa, unfortunately. I am paying about $475/month for a very decent fully furnished one bedroom apartment in an upper middle class area and this includes all services (electric, gas, furnishings, WiFi). Medellin has 150 cm of rain per year, year-around high/low temperature of about 28/17, 1500 meter elevation.

You need to speak Spanish here (I do at an advanced level, I learned as an adult). I appreciate lots of things here having spent plenty of time in SE Asia. The culture is great and there are fewer issues and differences. And no brown-outs, service at restaurants is A+, people greet strangers in elevators, etc. The driving is at least as bad as the PI. Colombia is also more expensive, the currency is artificially strong due to pent up investment dollars surging into the country and the standard of living is higher here than the PI and even higher than Thailand, also there are higher security costs at the government level. The food is better than PI but does not hold a candle to Thailand, Malaysia, etc., it is definitely in the bottom 1/3 of world cuisines even though there are a lot of decent dishes.

Unlike Thailand and PI, most of the music you will hear is actually local music from Colombia. And of course they really know how to dance -- I went to dance school but I still barely manage.

Well, I am coming to PI to live in October, so I will let you know more comparisons after that :twocents: I actually think Colombia is safer, I feel safer walking through whatever neighborhood here in Colombia than the PI. That is probably because foreigners don't stand out so much here in Colombia, speaking the language is a *huge* confidence booster, and there is a lot less abject poverty here when compared to PI. However, I think the people in the PI are the friendliest in the world.

to the victor go the spoils

if john howard and subsequent pm's send troops (with 67% of population against it)to an illegal war, do the serious casualties count as homicide against that treasonous bathplug and the other pm's?

:P you'll be fine here; mine asawa & I are quite fine, thank you, and not worried (tho I keep a weather-eye peeled for foul conditions, windows barred, doors locked and a pistola by d bed - but then I did that in California, too, come to think on it...not paranoid, just prepared (Boy Scout and veteran))

Senseless, I lived in Medellin, Colombia for 3.5 months last year and 5 months this year, and 2 years ago I traveled throughout the country. I can only stay 180 days per year on a tourist visa. You generally need a pension, business, wife, or $200K home to get a long stay visa, unfortunately. I am paying about $475/month for a very decent fully furnished one bedroom apartment in an upper middle class area and this includes all services (electric, gas, furnishings, WiFi). Medellin has 150 cm of rain per year, year-around high/low temperature of about 28/17, 1500 meter elevation.

You need to speak Spanish here (I do at an advanced level, I learned as an adult). I appreciate lots of things here having spent plenty of time in SE Asia. The culture is great and there are fewer issues and differences. And no brown-outs, service at restaurants is A+, people greet strangers in elevators, etc. The driving is at least as bad as the PI. Colombia is also more expensive, the currency is artificially strong due to pent up investment dollars surging into the country and the standard of living is higher here than the PI and even higher than Thailand, also there are higher security costs at the government level. The food is better than PI but does not hold a candle to Thailand, Malaysia, etc., it is definitely in the bottom 1/3 of world cuisines even though there are a lot of decent dishes.

Unlike Thailand and PI, most of the music you will hear is actually local music from Colombia. And of course they really know how to dance -- I went to dance school but I still barely manage.

Well, I am coming to PI to live in October, so I will let you know more comparisons after that :twocents: I actually think Colombia is safer, I feel safer walking through whatever neighborhood here in Colombia than the PI. That is probably because foreigners don't stand out so much here in Colombia, speaking the language is a *huge* confidence booster, and there is a lot less abject poverty here when compared to PI. However, I think the people in the PI are the friendliest in the world.

NittanyLion

Population and Murder Rate Not Closely Related (after the early 90s)

I just graphed the murder and population data for the USA. If murders and population were strongly related then you would see the graph lines increasing and decreasing at the same time. You'd also see a high correlation coefficient (linear regression).

That is the case here, up until the early 90's. But, since then, the USA population has been increasing, while the murder rate has been decreasing. For the entire data set (48 years), only 11% of the variation in the number of annual murders is due to the population number (correlation coefficient).

What this is saying is that, overall, 89% of the variation in the number of annual murders in the USA is due to factors other then population number. That's what the data says.

See the chart below.

post-6633-128004225478_thumb.jpg

Edited by NittanyLion

admirable work! it'd still be nice if folks would quit killin' one another, tho...

Population and Murder Rate Not Closely Related (after the early 90s)

I just graphed the murder and population data for the USA. If murders and population were strongly related then you would see the graph lines increasing and decreasing at the same time. You'd also see a high correlation coefficient (linear regression).

That is the case here, up until the early 90's. But, since then, the USA population has been increasing, while the murder rate has been decreasing. For the entire data set (48 years), only 11% of the variation in the number of annual murders is due to the population number (correlation coefficient).

What this is saying is that, overall, 89% of the variation in the number of annual murders in the USA is due to factors other then population number. That's what the data says.

See the chart below.

The Mason

Singapore continues to be #1 or close to it for many good reasons; clean city, safety, and way of life. To me me it shows good governance. The government alone doesn't do this but it helps.

Shipping all the poor people across the causeway to Malaysia doesn't hurt either. Singapore is safe primarily because poverty is very low there. All the poor people are in Malaysia.

Shipping all the poor people across the causeway to Malaysia doesn't hurt either. Singapore is safe primarily because poverty is very low there. All the poor people are in Malaysia.

but they will "cane" ya for spittin' gum on the sidewalk! :)

I have really enjoyed Singapore on my 2 visits there. I joked that more people speak English in Singapore than in San Francisco. However, it is a fairly expensive place to live by SE Asia standards, it is a small place to stay confined within, and many expats talked about really getting Freedom Fever (don't know a better name), basically, everything is just too controlled after awhile. Also, Singapore gets a huge amount of rainfall with no real dry season.

Interesting thing is the highest country I have visited on the list in the Philippines. Although, It won't prevent me from traveling and enjoying myself there ;)

udonthani

all of the south east Asian countries are pretty violent I'm afraid, though some less than others, and more violent than all, not most, of their liberal democratic counterparts in the west. Their faulty political processes, and I'm not just talking about the Philippines, are the main reason why political vioence must be expected. It's all they know and yes it's sad.