Making goats cheese

spritsail

I have a flock (herd) of goats, something like 12 nannies and 2 billies. Although we keep them as pets, they breed very prolifically, almost doubling the flock every year, I thought it might be nice to earn a few bob from milk, yoghurt and cheese. I use a lot of feta cheese and it costs me more than 1000 peso a kilo. I saw a Nat Geo film on goat cheese making a few a days ago, and it looked surprisingly easy. Just need to get the right rennet.

I know Olive Puentosima in Davoa who has the largesst goats farm in Mindinao and produces delicious goat cheeses, but she likes to safeguard her starting culture (rennet). I wonder if there is anyone on this forum, like KennyF knows where I can get good quality rennet in the Philippines. The Nat Geo film used freezed dried rennet produced in New Zealand. I only want to make feta and yoghurt ( for curry sauces ).

DeezNuz

I loved goat cheese...

I think it's fairly easy to make..just grab the female goat by the neck and tail...and shake vigoursly until the curds form.

Wait..maybe you should take the milk out of the goat first?

RogerDuMond

Check with Alaminos Goat Farm on Luzon. They are trying to improve the industry country wide and answer email questions. I am sure that if they don't have the answer, they will point you in the right direction.

http://www.alaminosgoatfarm.com/

• Like 1
Bob Ward

I will ask a guy I know who is in the business.

spritsail

Thanks guys.

I was chatting to my mate from cebu 2day who says there is a farm in Mt Carmel, davao that stocks anglo nubians, rabbits etc and gives good advice on rabbit keeping and goat rearing/cheese making. Not sure about the rabbits though, we started with two pairs, both killed the offspring. We gave them away as pets to kids wanting white rabbits as pets. Maybe I will have another go, if I can find a commercial breeding rabbit, and good for pate, pate du lapin.

RogerDuMond

Thanks guys.

I was chatting to my mate from cebu 2day who says there is a farm in Mt Carmel, davao that stocks anglo nubians, rabbits etc and gives good advice on rabbit keeping and goat rearing/cheese making. Not sure about the rabbits though, we started with two pairs, both killed the offspring. We gave them away as pets to kids wanting white rabbits as pets. Maybe I will have another go, if I can find a commercial breeding rabbit, and good for pate, pate du lapin.

You must separate the males from the females after breeding. The males may try to kill the babies after birth.

spritsail

Thanks guys.

You must separate the males from the females after breeding. The males may try to kill the babies after birth.

Yes, thats absolutely right, we kept them in the same "aviary" for want of something better. The males were very agressive, and I also heard that once the offspring is touched by humans, the females will also reject them.

RogerDuMond

Yes, thats absolutely right, we kept them in the same "aviary" for want of something better. The males were very agressive, and I also heard that once the offspring is touched by humans, the females will also reject them.

That is normally only true with wild rabbits as domestic rabbits are used to your smell. To be on the safe side though, you need to handle all of the babies in the nest and lightly rub your hand across the mother's nose so that your smell is on all equally. You do need to check the newborns to remove any stillborn bunnies. If you do run across a female that kills her young, as you might in any species, you need to cull that rabbit, otherwise you are feeding a rabbit that doesn't produce.

I made some cheese for my goats, they didn't like it...

• 2 weeks later...
LifeofRiley

Bad news - you will need a bit more than rennet tablets to make fetta.

Good news - you can make ricotta from goats milk, vinegar, butter and baking soda - see "Home Cheese Making" by Ricki Carroll

Fetta kits are available from Australia and they will post.

http://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/cheesemaking_kits.html

I am happy with their yogurt cultures and will probably branch out to cheese soon.

When you guys figure out how to make [good] Provalone cheese out of that local goat milk ... please let me know. I will buy from you.

SkyMan

Making goats cheese

Why? Do you plan to take their pictures?

may06_gallery_51_352x470.jpg

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!!!

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Thanks guys.

I guess you can make rabbit cheese too, but they are a little hard to milk.. :evan_iliadis:

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Thanks guys.

I guess you can make rabbit cheese too, but they are a little hard to milk.. :evan_iliadis:

you think they're hard to milk

chihuahua-cheese-chicken-tacos-450x337.jpg