Safety Concerns

Awesome Color

udonthani

Isn't the NPA pushing for a communist regime?

they're supposed to be Maoist now rather than Marxist-Leninist they started out as, but those that do broadly support them - and there's a few, I've met some - may not necessarily endorse communism and in fact it's unlikely they will. Basically their vigilantism is fine when they attack bent cops, officials and criminals and it's all in the public good at least for some, but when they help themselves to your crops that you might not be able to spare, they don't seem all that public spirited all of a sudden.

• Like 1
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Awesome Color

• mahogany

• EAGLE

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This scenario is common all over the Philippines. Some times the families are genuinely concerned depending on the location and circumstances. BUT, many times this is just a ploy to keep the foreigner

Thanks for fouling up my plans guys....I was trying to scare him into moving to Cebu instead.     How will my scheme to open a Taco Bell franchise in Cebu ever succeed if I don't make sure all the

That assessment is NOT true - the chances of being harmed in Cebu are far greater.

Headshot

Yes...they are the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines, but the communists kind of fizzled in the 1990s, so they lost their impetus. They are still more likely to go after government officials than foreigners.

spritsail

Hello

I live in camiguin, and my house has neither doors or windows, by design. Only the bedrooms can be locked. i do have geese though which raise hell if anyone passes through the gate.

I know of only one incident of theft against a foreigner. He was crazy enough to carry 1500 US dollars in a body money bag which he took off in the local hospital, placed it on a counter while he went for an X-ay. It was gone when he got back.

Alan S

Although I have never been to Bohol, I have travelled to many places in the Philippines that the locals described as dangerous.

Never had any problems.

Some situational awareness (aka keeping your eyes open and wits about you) will protect you from the most likely troubles.

Some common sense will save you from the others.

The most frequent problems experienced by foreigners are scams, and the same ones have been around for years.

As for the NPA, the one example I know of where they threatened foreigners was a Korean company that was dumping mercury waste into a local stream that was also the water supply to some villages.

The Koreans obviously believed the threats and changed their methods.

In that specific case, I am firmly on the side of the NPA.

• Like 1
Awesome Color

Yes...they are the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines, but the communists kind of fizzled in the 1990s, so they lost their impetus. They are still more likely to go after government officials than foreigners.

Yes, I've been Googlin' the NPA in the Philippines, and from what I have read it seems that they are mostly out to get corrupt government officials, police and military personnel, drug traffickers, and big business owners. Nonetheless, I hope to never have to cross paths with any of them! I've also heard stories of the group helping themselves to privately owned crops of rice, and setting up rural highway roadblocks and relieving travelers of their belongings (although this story took place somewhere in Luzon, not Bohol or anywhere else in the Visayas). Actually, a few years ago in China I bought some old communist propaganda posters, a few of which I had framed (not because I endorse communist ideals, simply because I think they are kinda cool looking) - a smiling Tse-Tung Mao standing over a crowd of armed soldiers, farmers and factory workers. Perhaps I'll bring along a poster to put up in my home just in case the NPA ever drops by... wink.gif

SkyMan

According to my wife, the NPA (New Peoples Army) is mainly a vigilante group that doesn't like the corruption in the government and takes the law into their own hands. It isn't likely they will go after you unless you are violent, doing something immoral or illegal, or harassing your neighbors. They are more likely to go after Filipinos than foreigners. If you are a snatcher, a burglar or a wife beater...then you may have something to worry about. They also take issue with corrupt officials and policemen. They have been known to attack government troops that were sent after them, but normal, run-of-the-mill citizens and foreigners have little to worry about. Also, they are more common on Cebu than on Bohol. By the way, the NPA isn't all that new. They have been around since Marco was president.

That is probably correct if they are in fact NPA but there are plenty of rogue bandit groups that claim to be NPA but do their own thing which is far less nobel. And if they need financial support then what better way to get it than from some foreigner. I'd say rich foreigner but to them that's redundant.

smokey

Yes, I've been Googlin' the NPA in the Philippines, and from what I have read it seems that they are mostly out to get corrupt government officials, police and military personnel, drug traffickers, and big business owners. Nonetheless, I hope to never have to cross paths with any of them! I've also heard stories of the group helping themselves to privately owned crops of rice, and setting up rural highway roadblocks and relieving travelers of their belongings (although this story took place somewhere in Luzon, not Bohol or anywhere else in the Visayas). Actually, a few years ago in China I bought some old communist propaganda posters, a few of which I had framed (not because I endorse communist ideals, simply because I think they are kinda cool looking) - a smiling Tse-Tung Mao standing over a crowd of armed soldiers, farmers and factory workers. Perhaps I'll bring along a poster to put up in my home just in case the NPA ever drops by... wink.gif

i meet a German guy from Bohol once and he said the NPA types would come by and ask for donations and it was wise to not be too cheap he said a sack of rice a month was about what he gave

• 3 weeks later...

According to my wife, the NPA (New Peoples Army) is mainly a vigilante group that doesn't like the corruption in the government and takes the law into their own hands. It isn't likely they will go after you unless you are violent, doing something immoral or illegal, or harassing your neighbors. They are more likely to go after Filipinos than foreigners. If you are a snatcher, a burglar or a wife beater...then you may have something to worry about. They also take issue with corrupt officials and policemen. They have been known to attack government troops that were sent after them, but normal, run-of-the-mill citizens and foreigners have little to worry about. Also, they are more common on Cebu than on Bohol. By the way, the NPA isn't all that new. They have been around since Marco was president.

That is probably correct if they are in fact NPA but there are plenty of rogue bandit groups that claim to be NPA but do their own thing which is far less nobel. And if they need financial support then what better way to get it than from some foreigner. I'd say rich foreigner but to them that's redundant.

This is exactly what I was talking about with my wife the other day. We are considering moving to the philippines but my wife fears for my safety.I don't understand all the fuss so much but this NPA crap worries me some.She says if they need money, which they do,they will target foreigners as they are assumed to have lots.

Headshot

This is exactly what I was talking about with my wife the other day. We are considering moving to the philippines but my wife fears for my safety.I don't understand all the fuss so much but this NPA crap worries me some.She says if they need money, which they do,they will target foreigners as they are assumed to have lots.

Well, if you (or your wife) are truly afraid for your safety in the Philippines, then you shouldn't come here. It won't be safe for YOU. People who are constantly afraid have a scent (caused by pheromones their body produces) that bad people are subconsciously attracted to. Personally, I feel safer here than in most cities in the US. I think your wife doesn't really want to move to the Philippines. The NPA is just a smoke screen. The reality is that very few people (foreigners or otherwise) ever have ANY contact with the NPA. The two of you should discuss her real concerns, and then decide if a move to the Philippines is really a good idea for the two of you. Maybe some visits to different iislands (they aren't all the same) would be more appropriate...or maybe you should just forget it.

Well, if you (or your wife) are truly afraid for your safety in the Philippines, then you shouldn't come here. It won't be safe for YOU. People who are constantly afraid have a scent (caused by pheromones their body produces) that bad people are subconsciously attracted to. Personally, I feel safer here than in most cities in the US. I think your wife doesn't really want to move to the Philippines. The NPA is just a smoke screen. The reality is that very few people (foreigners or otherwise) ever have ANY contact with the NPA. The two of you should discuss her real concerns, and then decide if a move to the Philippines is really a good idea for the two of you. Maybe some visits to different iislands (they aren't all the same) would be more appropriate...or maybe you should just forget it.

It's not me.I feel COMPLETELY safe in the Philippines myself.We travelled by our TMX 155 motorcycle all around Eastern Samar and Leyte.We went until the road would not allow us trying to go to northern Samar on the east side.My wifes father was very concerned before we left about our safety.I told him I would buy a gun down the road. Of coarse this was a joke.Anyhow I or we were never threaten in any way.I don't know what all the fuss is about but I am trying to learn.......My wife knows people that give rice etc to the NPA on a regular basis.In my wifes Brgy. a coconut buyer got murdered most likely for the money SHE was carrying.Her Uncle was the Mayor of a small town,Geporlos (Eastern Samar).He had I think 2 terms and then ran for congressman and lost so when he got murdered is was not in power.My wife says filipo's never forget so I think that was his fate?So there is some real concerns here but myself I am willing to take the risk.We have a 2 yr old so schooling is a concern for us.Therefore we need to live where there are decent private schools.

smokey

well i am assuming your WIFE is not happy to live here so why screw up your marriage and force her to do what she dont want ... it takes two to tango , i feel safe here but then i dont roam around that much .

Headshot

It's not me.I feel COMPLETELY safe in the Philippines myself.We travelled by our TMX 155 motorcycle all around Eastern Samar and Leyte.We went until the road would not allow us trying to go to northern Samar on the east side.My wifes father was very concerned before we left about our safety.I told him I would buy a gun down the road. Of coarse this was a joke.Anyhow I or we were never threaten in any way.I don't know what all the fuss is about but I am trying to learn.......My wife knows people that give rice etc to the NPA on a regular basis.In my wifes Brgy. a coconut buyer got murdered most likely for the money SHE was carrying.Her Uncle was the Mayor of a small town,Geporlos (Eastern Samar).He had I think 2 terms and then ran for congressman and lost so when he got murdered is was not in power.My wife says filipo's never forget so I think that was his fate?So there is some real concerns here but myself I am willing to take the risk.We have a 2 yr old so schooling is a concern for us.Therefore we need to live where there are decent private schools.

OK. That makes a lot more sense. Filipinos are paranoid. If there isn't anything to be afraid of, they will make something up...white ladies or something. The murders you spoke of were probably both politically motivated. Even after someone leaves office here, they are considered to be a power broker (because they know how the system works). Relatives of politicians are also targets.

First, don't live in the same area as your wife's family. They will either overprotect you or involve you in their long-standing disputes (through association) or both. Of course, a lot of the protection thing is an attempt at control, but I'm sure you already realize that. It makes sense to have some distance between your home and your relatives anyway, since that will avoid some of the inevitable requests for financial aid. Also, if anyone in the family is involved in politics in any way, being too close makes you...a target. Being on another island is ideal, but at least a half-hour drive time is a good idea.

As far as "decent" private schools go, it depends on what you consider "decent" as to whether they even exist here. To give your children a good education here, it is likely that you will need to supplement their schooling with some home-schooling or tutoring or both. It is the only way you will be able to ensure that your children learn the things you think are important. There are a lot more schools to choose from in bigger cities than there are in smaller cities. You should thoroughly check out schools in any area you are considering if the selection is limited. Not all private schools are what they seem. Some are just cash cows for the owners, and the quality of education is secondary.

RogerDuMond

First, don't live in the same area as your wife's family. They will either overprotect you or involve you in their long-standing disputes (through association) or both. Of course, a lot of the protection thing is an attempt at control, but I'm sure you already realize that. It makes sense to have some distance between your home and your relatives anyway, since that will avoid some of the inevitable requests for financial aid. Also, if anyone in the family is involved in politics in any way, being too close makes you...a target. Being on another island is ideal, but at least a half-hour drive time is a good idea.

The second school of thought is to live in the same town as your wifes family. If your wife is related to half the people in the town, you have a lot less to worry about. If your wife has a strong enough personality, she will handle and rebuke all requests for financial aid. If anybody asks you, just tell them that your wife handles any money and they need to talk to her.

mahogany

The second school of thought is to live in the same town as your wifes family. If your wife is related to half the people in the town, you have a lot less to worry about. If your wife has a strong enough personality, she will handle and rebuke all requests for financial aid. If anybody asks you, just tell them that your wife handles any money and they need to talk to her.

Poor blodgee is not really helped with such contradictory advice.

Looking at the concerns as a whole, I guess I would be hesitant to move to Samar - especially considering the child's needs.

OK. That makes a lot more sense. Filipinos are paranoid. If there isn't anything to be afraid of, they will make something up...white ladies or something. The murders you spoke of were probably both politically motivated. Even after someone leaves office here, they are considered to be a power broker (because they know how the system works). Relatives of politicians are also targets.

As far as "decent" private schools go, it depends on what you consider "decent" as to whether they even exist here. To give your children a good education here, it is likely that you will need to supplement their schooling with some home-schooling or tutoring or both. It is the only way you will be able to ensure that your children learn the things you think are important. There are a lot more schools to choose from in bigger cities than there are in smaller cities. You should thoroughly check out schools in any area you are considering if the selection is limited. Not all private schools are what they seem. Some are just cash cows for the owners, and the quality of education is secondary.

Yes I don't want to live near my wifes parents for all the reasons you mentioned.Plan to live on another Island so it won't be too easy for them to show up.

I was really hoping some of the private schools were up to our standards?How about schools around Cebu?