Sign in to follow this  
Awesome Color

Safety Concerns

mello874

I will agree with Bob. I will not stay home when i want to go somewhere. I will take my Backpack next month and go to Mindanao for our rice harvest. My wife will be home here with our daughter. Will go on the Barko from here to Ozamiz city, cross the Bay there and grab a jeepney to tubod, Lanao del norte. I am one of the luckey ones that can travel alone. Read the Cebu Sun Star everyday and you wonts go out. Have been doing this since 1991. I have heard all of the warning from the family also. All Aboard.

smokey

Well I can state that so far I've had no issues here in Manila. But like anywhere you live use your head. I would also ask your girl friend what is the basis for her concerns outside of the obvious that you are a foreigner, etc. If there are other foreigners living where you want to go?

Her concerns are simply based on the fact that I am a foreigner who will be living in an agricultural and fishing based community; a community with a high level of unemployment. Basically, more desperate people, I guess... And, I only know of one foreigner for sure living in the area I want to go to. A neighbor of my gf's aunt. But, they don't seem to know much about him. I'd love to chat with the guy and get his perspective on the what's what there. I've seen a couple of other foreigners at the market there while visiting, but they were pretty few and far between actually.

my wife has many brothers and family in the military and they suggest there are lots of places to live for a foreigner on bohol but the north side is not one of them

mahogany

Well I can state that so far I've had no issues here in Manila. But like anywhere you live use your head. I would also ask your girl friend what is the basis for her concerns outside of the obvious that you are a foreigner, etc. If there are other foreigners living where you want to go?

Her concerns are simply based on the fact that I am a foreigner who will be living in an agricultural and fishing based community; a community with a high level of unemployment. Basically, more desperate people, I guess... And, I only know of one foreigner for sure living in the area I want to go to. A neighbor of my gf's aunt. But, they don't seem to know much about him. I'd love to chat with the guy and get his perspective on the what's what there. I've seen a couple of other foreigners at the market there while visiting, but they were pretty few and far between actually.

my wife has many brothers and family in the military and they suggest there are lots of places to live for a foreigner on bohol but the north side is not one of them

That assessment is NOT true - the chances of being harmed in Cebu are far greater.

• Like 2

Jay

Did they say why not? NPA, or what?

rbm

Having spent considerable time in Bohol, including the north east I would whole heart idly endorse these comments. And Big Rob I am still alive....

Awesome Color

Having spent considerable time in Bohol, including the north east I would whole heart idly endorse these comments. And Big Rob I am still alive....

Interesting. Would you kindly elaborate as to why you endorse that comment. What did you experience to make you feel that way?

I've spent a few weeks up there, and despite the constant "be carefuls", I never really felt threatened - however, I did however spend the majority of my visit at a pension with an armed guard on duty, and men with pistols are pretty good deterrents for would-be thieves and thugs!

I'm aware of the NPA threat in northern Bohol, and it is quite concerning. While visiting northern Bohol and doing the tourist circuit, I wanted to visit a waterfall (which I don't remember the name of) in what I believe is Trinidad (although I'm not certain) - my girfriend's aunt flat out FORBADE us from going there babbling something about "soldiers being there", and I wrote it off as nothing as there were plenty of other things to do and places to go. Now, in hindsight, I'm sure she was referring to an NPA presence there. She's a very sweet lady though, and is very supportive and encouraging of my move to Talibon - she just places a rather large emphasis on "being careful." But, I mean, I'm not a total fecktard, and I know to use my head and "be careful"; I'm just searching for what it is exactly that constitutes "being careful" up there. Aside from the advice posted thus far here (and thanks for the replies guys!), it's been hard getting straight-up advice from anyone. I've spent a third of my life living abroad and I've always managed to integrate into the community, but I also realize that the Philippines is a totally new ball game...

EAGLE

This scenario is common all over the Philippines. Some times the families are genuinely concerned depending on the location and circumstances. BUT, many times this is just a ploy to keep the foreigner within arm's reach so that there is no possibility of some other filipina stealing their golden goose.

Many guys are not allowed to go anywhere alone. They are shuttled around with an entourage of freeloading family members who will suck the life out of you if you let them.

If I had to live like that, I would just stay home!!!

On my first few visits in my wife's home I was always accompanied by family members. I found this reassuring until I knew my way around.

Now I wander off on my own and my wife goes about her business with her sisters/cousins etc.

We then meet up later. I eat in a good Italian with my wife and the others go "JolliB".

All OK by me. They find the Italian "intimidating" and I dislike the busyness of "JollyB" which they love...

I would not be inclined to go further South than Cebu Island to live..

EAGLE Tom

Edited by EAGLE

udonthani

first I've heard of any particular NPA 'threat' on Bohol, certainly recently. Main areas where they're active are surely Luzon, mostly northern Luzon, Samar/Leyte (a girl I know's village in Leyte had a bunch of them come through the village looking to extort rice and other food only a few months ago) and parts of Mindanao. Bohol, no.

treat Filipino 'warnings' of any special danger on neighbouring islands with a pinch of salt. If you took what a lot of them said seriously, you could go to maybe Boracay, and that would be about it. Curiously, their home town/village/island, wherever it is, is always safe.

EAGLE

first I've heard of any particular NPA 'threat' on Bohol, certainly recently. Main areas where they're active are surely Luzon, mostly northern Luzon, Samar/Leyte (a girl I know's village in Leyte had a bunch of them come through the village looking to extort rice and other food only a few months ago) and parts of Mindanao. Bohol, no.

treat Filipino 'warnings' of any special danger on neighbouring islands with a pinch of salt. If you took what a lot of them said seriously, you could go to maybe Boracay, and that would be about it. Curiously, their home town/village/island, wherever it is, is always safe.

My wife's friends all agree -- where they live is safe BUT be careful...

The next Island, Samar, has rebels, bandits and they practice "WitchCraft" and there are lots of GHOST's .... HeHeeeee

and thr Japanese burried "Treasure" there and if you go near they will shoot you.(the bandits NOT the Japanese???)

We lived there for 4 months and it was great!!!

Eagle Tom

Edited by EAGLE

EAGLE

sorry - posted twice .. :yahoo:

Edited by EAGLE

mahogany

So far no one has come up with anything but hearsay and gossip - soon you guys will try to convince one another of the sightings of "white ladies" :yahoo:

Awesome Color

So far no one has come up with anything but hearsay and gossip - soon you guys will try to convince one another of the sightings of "white ladies" scratch_head.gif

I'm unable to PM you. If you don't mind, please PM me with an e-mail address or something where I can contact you... Thanks!

EAGLE

So far no one has come up with anything but hearsay and gossip - soon you guys will try to convince one another of the sightings of "white ladies" :scratch_head:

Now those I HAVE SEEN White Ladies

:thats-funny:

Eagle Tom

Edited by EAGLE

Headshot

According to my wife, the NPA (New Peoples Army) is mainly a vigilante group that doesn't like the corruption in the government and takes the law into their own hands. It isn't likely they will go after you unless you are violent, doing something immoral or illegal, or harassing your neighbors. They are more likely to go after Filipinos than foreigners. If you are a snatcher, a burglar or a wife beater...then you may have something to worry about. They also take issue with corrupt officials and policemen. They have been known to attack government troops that were sent after them, but normal, run-of-the-mill citizens and foreigners have little to worry about. Also, they are more common on Cebu than on Bohol. By the way, the NPA isn't all that new. They have been around since Marco was president.

DeezNuz

Isn't the NPA pushing for a communist regime?