Sign in to follow this  
Awesome Color

Safety Concerns

Awesome Color

Hello all. I'm soon going to be moving to Talibon, in northern Bohol. I've heard many expressions of concern lately over my safety there as a foreigner (from my gf, and her family and friends). I've visited there before and loved it (hence my desire to go and live there!), and not once did I ever feel unsafe. Having said that, I know stories from that area of rather frequent robberies and even occasional murders over money - and then I'm reminded in so many words that "if that kind of thing happens to Filipinos here, just think of the danger you might be in..." I realize that foreigners are equated with money, so that yes there is always a potential danger. So, I guess my question is: what do you do to keep safe while living in the Philippines? I know it's a really general question, but I'm just curious to hear the advice and experiences of those of you who are settled down in the Phils. Actually, just yesterday my gf was chatting with her cousin who now lives in Cebu and is hooked up with a foreigner; she told my gf that her husband really wants to move over to Bohol, but that she is very hesitant to because of safety concerns for him (???). Anyhow, again, I'm just anxious to hear what the vets say... I mean, other than the obvious (i.e. not strutting around with your pockets lined, and keeping your home locked up tight at night, etc.), what can you do to ensure that you and your loved one are as safe as possible?

DeezNuz

Sorry...no one from that area can comment...they were already murdered or have fled back to their origin country.

...hehehe....

SkyMan

Very funny Rob. I don't have much info for you except that there is known NPA activity on Bohol. I'd suggest you pose your questions on the Yahoo group BoholExpat or something like that.

Awesome Color

Sorry...no one from that area can comment...they were already murdered or have fled back to their origin country.

...hehehe....

Yeah. Hilarious. Thanks a bunch. thumbs_up.gif

Panserhansen

"So, I guess my question is: what do you do to keep safe while living in the Philippines?"

-----

First of all - Rob, give the newbie a break now.. :thats-funny:

OK. Safety concern is something the expats have debated over and over again. You might fall asleep in a sleazy bar without nothing happening to you, and you can be drugged by an old lady on a jeepney offering candy. Some people say never accept a beer if the bottle is not opened before you, others are not so paranoid.

The guys being robbed and killed are usually connected with big payments about to be made - they are about to pay a couple hundred thousands for a lot or something, and someone spread the word. But not always, sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Some guys have told the forum they would fight to death if they get robbed, others will give their wallet away immediately.

Treat your neighbors good, never talk about money. If you're about to carry a large amount sometime, never tell anyone. In the province you can't fart without the village knowing the next hour.

Cary

Well I can state that so far I've had no issues here in Manila. But like anywhere you live use your head. I would also ask your girl friend what is the basis for her concerns outside of the obvious that you are a foreigner, etc. If there are other foreigners living where you want to go?

mahogany

Safety is NOT a problem in Talibon unless you behave like a jerk; many expats from all walks of life there. About two years ago the Filipino husband of a German lady was shot there following some jealousy drama involving a local GRO. Also, I believe that an expat decided to put a live electric fence around his property and another was threatened with his life for reacting too aggressively towards the "wrong" locals. I heard rumors of a foreigner being shot in Ubay - some 30 kms away, but otherwise nothing extraordinary.

Do you want to settle on the mainland or on one of the lovely islands strung up in the vicinity?

Awesome Color

Well I can state that so far I've had no issues here in Manila. But like anywhere you live use your head. I would also ask your girl friend what is the basis for her concerns outside of the obvious that you are a foreigner, etc. If there are other foreigners living where you want to go?

Her concerns are simply based on the fact that I am a foreigner who will be living in an agricultural and fishing based community; a community with a high level of unemployment. Basically, more desperate people, I guess... And, I only know of one foreigner for sure living in the area I want to go to. A neighbor of my gf's aunt. But, they don't seem to know much about him. I'd love to chat with the guy and get his perspective on the what's what there. I've seen a couple of other foreigners at the market there while visiting, but they were pretty few and far between actually.

Awesome Color

Safety is NOT a problem in Talibon unless you behave like a jerk; many expats from all walks of life there. About two years ago the Filipino husband of a German lady was shot there following some jealousy drama involving a local GRO. Also, I believe that an expat decided to put a live electric fence around his property and another was threatened with his life for reacting too aggressively towards the "wrong" locals. I heard rumors of a foreigner being shot in Ubay - some 30 kms away, but otherwise nothing extraordinary.

Do you want to settle on the mainland or on one of the lovely islands strung up in the vicinity?

Wow. That's good to hear. I'm pleased to learn that there are many other expats there, and I hope to meet up with and chat with some of them! I plan on renting a home on the mainland in town; more practical for my budget! We have visited some of the islands northward, and yeah, they are gorgeous. Beautiful area. Love it. smile.gif

mahogany

Wow. That's good to hear. I'm pleased to learn that there are many other expats there, and I hope to meet up with and chat with some of them! I plan on renting a home on the mainland in town; more practical for my budget! We have visited some of the islands northward, and yeah, they are gorgeous. Beautiful area. Love it. :thats-funny:

PM me if you need some info, help or leads :thats-funny:

DeezNuz

Thanks for fouling up my plans guys....I was trying to scare him into moving to Cebu instead.

How will my scheme to open a Taco Bell franchise in Cebu ever succeed if I don't make sure all the potential prospects are moving here instead of other areas?

• Like 2

JohnFromTexas

BigRob we've got to get that scheme to work... with any luck, we can even get the taco bell to deliver :)

billten

Safety in the Phils IMHO is simple

1. Don't get involved in politics.

2. Don't get involved in local business.

3. Don't get involved in local chicka.

4. Don't screw around your neighborhood.

4. Respect and smile at everyone, even if they are dicks.

5. Don't be a dick yourself just coz you can be.

6. Make sure everyone knows that you are not a pushover and expect respect in the same way you give it.

7. Make yourself a hard target (i have 6 doberman dogs and a bullmastiff at my house, burglars are welcome, they reduce the food bills ;-)

Easy, right?

• Like 1

Jay

gallery_4738_224_41359.jpg

:) We see this subject crop up regularly. The general answer to staying safe in the Philippines is pretty much the same as staying safe anywhere else in the world. Basically don't try to dress or act "flash", don't be holier-than-thou or think you're superior to others. When out walking around stay aware of your surroundings. Keep your wallet in your front pocket not your back pocket. If a guy hails you with "My friend!" and invites you to have a drink, accept (unless you're a recovered alcoholic or a teetotaler), and shout your round when the time comes (but not too soon: you don't want to look like you're trying to be their "sugar daddy"). Don't open the door for strangers- go outside to talk to them. Just look and act like a regular fella, don't antagonize the locals or act like a jerk. Get a dog.

Bob Ward

This scenario is common all over the Philippines. Some times the families are genuinely concerned depending on the location and circumstances. BUT, many times this is just a ploy to keep the foreigner within arm's reach so that there is no possibility of some other filipina stealing their golden goose.

Many guys are not allowed to go anywhere alone. They are shuttled around with an entourage of freeloading family members who will suck the life out of you if you let them.

If I had to live like that, I would just stay home!!!

• Like 3