Philippine-Style Costco in Cebu - S&R Shopping

I saw the S&R Cebu from the road. It seems to be open.

• How do people like shopping there?
  • Are Kirkland vitamins much cheaper than in the mall?

Tono

Hi, does anyone know if my US costco card will be accepted there?

NO...... it is nothing to do with Costco

Ahh, ok thanks. I just got back from there and purchased a membership. Paid the extra 400P to add on my maid and give her a card. Yeah they had a lot of stuff. Quite similar to the Costco's in Hawaii. Even the chiller where they keep the fresh fruits and veggies is the same. It's funny cause everyone was walking in there freezing, they didn't know it was going to be like that and it caught them buy surprise.

Anyway, the selection isn't as good as the Costco's back home. But they still got a lot of stuff. I managed to buy 10,000 P worth of food and I wasn't really trying to buy a lot of stuff. It's the same deal with Costco back home, you walk in for a few things and walk out spending a couple hundred bucks.

They have some awesome gas grills. I don't know what they cost in the states but I'm guessing the same grills cost over a grand. The grills over at S&R are only 20K to 30K pesos. I think that's a steal. I'm buying one.

As to the electronics. the pickings are kinda slim. So it's just like Costco, except a slimmed down version. The other good thing is there's hardly anyone shopping in there, not like the bumper to bumper people and carts back home. I had to teach my maid how to drive the shopping cart and stay out of people's way. That was kinda fun.

Thing is, some stuff is cheaper there, but for fresh meat and veggies, it's cheaper outside. Back in Hawaii, everyone shops at Costco, and there's about 4 of them on Oahu, where I lived and they are all packed to the limit with people. Over here, I don't think it will catch on too well, cause the stuff is kinda expensive, and people here don't buy in bulk. They don't mind shopping every few days.

Anyway, I like it cause I'm a Costco junky. But yeah the stuff is kinda expensive, except for steals like those gas grills. Just make sure to leave me one, I won't be able to go back till next week, I didn't bring enough cash.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wellesley1995

• TheMatrix

• JohnFromTexas

• UZI

I saw the S&R Cebu from the road. It seems to be open.

• How do people like shopping there?
  • Are Kirkland vitamins much cheaper than in the mall?

Tono

Hi, does anyone know if my US costco card will be accepted there?

For vitamins, I order them from the US and have my friend ship them to me. Vitamins here cost about 3 times more than the same things in the US. I spent over 3,000 pesos on one bottle of vitamins from GNC a few months ago. Now I just order them online, send them to my buddy in the US and he ships to me. You might be able to find someone on Ebay that will ship directly here. I haven't checked.

Only thing is, customs ganked me on the taxes. The package was valued at $40 US, but then customs multiplied that figure by 4 and charged me tax on $160. I have no clue how they figured that out. They never opened my box so they had no clue how big the vitamin bottles were. So I ended up paying about 75% tax when it's only supposed to be about 13% or so. My maid went to pick up the package so she didn't know to question the duty amount.

If they don't open the box and see an invoice, they will base it on the "declared value" of the box which is usually for the "insurance."... the trick is to put a declared value of zero or maybe $1... the upside to that is you avoid the duties/taxes... the downside is if the box is lost you can't get your money back from UPS/FedEx... :)

Well this is a little off topic, but the declared value was $40 US. They multiplied that by 4, and then converted it to pesos and charged me duty on $160, instead of the $40 declared value. I have no clue where they got the multiply the declared value by 4.

My friend ships me a lot of stuff, mostly books for school, but he's shipped me jeans, and vitamins before and I've never gotten taxed. Maybe it's payback for all the stuff they didn't tax me on.

Anyway, I was just at S&R. I forgot to check for vitamins. But I walked through every single aisle and I didn't see any vitamins. So they might not have any, although I wasn't specifically looking for them. Next time I'll look and let you know. But I also didn't see any medical supplies, like those huge containers of Aspirin and stuff they sell at the Costco's back home. It's pretty much the same story there as everywhere here in Cebu. They have a few things, but just about everything you want is out of stock. I'm sure you've heard that a million times living here. So if you got a list of stuff you need or want, they won't have it. You just got to go and buy what they have or whatever strikes your fancy. It's the same story everywhere. I have to go to a bunch of stores here to find what I want, and even then it's not exactly what I wanted. Just got to make do.

I'm not sure if I met you before, but if you want vitamins, let me know and the next time I get some shipped here I'll throw yours in with my stuff. Check out www.vitacost.com . If there's anything on there you want then let me know, cause that's where I'll be ordering from. But it won't be for another 4 months, when I need to order textbooks for school again.

I forgot to mention. The other really cool deal is on water coolers. You know the one you put the big 5 gallon bottles of water on. They were about 3,000P. My maid bought one for me a while back and she paid 7,000P for it. She was surprised they were so cheap at S&R. So there's deals. Probably not for food but non food stuff you should check out.

And I'm sure they mis priced those gas grills. I'm talking full on pro quality gas grills. They had little dinky ones you put wood and charcoal in for the same price. I got to get back there before they figure out they screwed up on the prices.

A couple other things about S&R that wasn't mentioned.

If you want to buy something you can't bring home without a truck, they do deliver. They deliver on Monday and Thursdays, and it's 450 P for delivery. I asked cause I wanted that grill.

One other thing is their warranty policy. It's nothing like Costco. Costco has a lifetime warranty on everything but electronics. I know a guy that bought a $2,000 US gas grill. He used it for 5 years, and left it out in the rain to rust. He wheeled it back in to Costco, with the wheels falling off and rusted to heck. He said he didn't like it and no questions asked they gave him all his money back in cash. He then took that money and bought himself a brand new grill.

They used to have a lifetime warranty on electronics but they stopped that cause people were buying new tv's and returning them every year and getting new ones.

Anyway, you won't get no lifetime warranty here. You got 7 days to return stuff and it has to be defective. Also, if the deem that it needs to be sent in for repair, then they will send it for repair and they won't give you your money back, they'll get it fixed. However long that takes you'll have to wait.

So they do not have the same Costco, no questions asked, cash money on the spot back, lifetime warranty. Like someone else said, it has nothing to do with Costco. Although someone else told me it's a division of Costco. So I don't know. But yeah, the warranty sucks, so make sure you read the board about the warranty when you get your membership.

Anyway, I was just at S&R. I forgot to check for vitamins. But I walked through every single aisle and I didn't see any vitamins. So they might not have any, although I wasn't specifically looking for them.

They have vitamins.

As you walk in the store go past the last cash register and look to your left, you'll see a couple of stacks of those hand held shopping carts and an entrance way next to them.

Just go through the entrance and you'll find vitamins to your immediate left.

• 1 month later...
wellesley1995
Anyway, I was just at S&R. I forgot to check for vitamins. But I walked through every single aisle and I didn't see any vitamins. So they might not have any, although I wasn't specifically looking for them.

They have vitamins.

As you walk in the store go past the last cash register and look to your left, you'll see a couple of stacks of those hand held shopping carts and an entrance way next to them.

Just go through the entrance and you'll find vitamins to your immediate left.

The vitamins are kept in a separate room near the fruits section.

• 4 months later...
wellesley1995

Saw some really nice looking gazebos at a very good price. They also have a discount of 40%-50% on their towels and glassware. Found some good deals on discounts.

Surprised to see S&R is raffling off a mercedes benz... first time in cebu for such a promo.

digiteye

Saw some really nice looking gazebos at a very good price. They also have a discount of 40%-50% on their towels and glassware. Found some good deals on discounts.

Surprised to see S&R is raffling off a mercedes benz... first time in cebu for such a promo

Looking at their car parking, they badly need some sort of promo or else they might pull down the shutters pretty soon. On the other hand their pizza stall is pretty busy all the time. Membership pizzeria, eh?

smokey

yesterday i was in a real costco and costco and S/R share one thing both have large parking lot... thats all folks..

DeezNuz

Bring me back some Taco Bell

smokey

Bring me back some Taco Bell

many of the things in costo share the same price as SR except in the phillippnes its peso.../// at SR i bought some milky way candies it was 250 peso and here at costco its the same bag and it says 2.50 cents milk is 2.29 a gallon and in SR 195 half gallon oh well time go get a taco supream

Edited by smokey