Latest on international ATM card Surcharges

I've used my foreign ATM card at Citibank, Metrobank, China Bank with the same result:

$2 ATM fee

3% foreign currency exchange fee

P.S. The link from Tomas: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange is good. My foreign bank's fees are at the high end, but at least my account has no monthly fees.

Edited by Mik
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tomas

• mello874

• JoMads

• Jim Sibbick

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's actually 40.000. But if you go late afternoon it might be limited to 20 or 30K. There is also HSBC in AS Fortuna, close to the Banilad flyover. 40K limit also there.   I noticed that the ATM(Me

As of the 18th of Sept 2010 BPI charges 200 P srvc charge on international cards!   Metrobank 150P China Bank 150P   Bank of Commerce wouldn't accept my card.   Union Bank would not accept the

David Spicer

So it appears that BPI, China Bank, and HSBC are charging no additional fees (yet) for international ATM cards. That's great! Especially BPI which is almost ubiquitous.

As more information becomes available or changes come, I hope that folks will post it here.

To the best of my knowledge, only the 2 largest banks are now charging the fee; BDO and Metrobank. BPI, which is #3, and the oldest bank in the Philippines, has not jumped on the bandwagon.

Paul

ChinaBank is charging a Php150 fee. So does Allied Bank.

SkyMan

Stay tuned for HSBC, I got a notice there was some fee change the end of the month. Not sure if it will effect all foreign cards or just non HSBC foreign cards. Anyone know if Citibank charges anything?

• 1 month later...

So it appears that BPI, China Bank, and HSBC are charging no additional fees (yet) for international ATM cards. That's great! Especially BPI which is almost ubiquitous.

As more information becomes available or changes come, I hope that folks will post it here.

BPI had a 200p charge around the middle of August but since about August 26 they appear to have dropped the charge.

BPI had a 200p charge around the middle of August but since about August 26 they appear to have dropped the charge.

Thats wierd. Is that confirmed. I noticed that there wasn't a charge notice yesterday..but since no receipt was issued i didn't notice if the charge was applied or not.

I am really hoping that BPI is still charging no fee. As they are the ATMs I would mainly be using for the first 2 months I am in the Phils (starting in October) until I can get a local bank account (which will also probably be with BPI).

Knowing which banks are fee-free is really valuable info for travelers.

Tomas

I'm now using a combination of a UK based HSBC Advance account and a local BPI account for bills. The HSBC Advance account costs me 12.95 GBP a month in the UK, and then you have no transaction fees on any withdrawal in a Philippines (Foreign ATM), and also can withdraw over the counter in any worldwide HSBC Branch.

Transfers from HSBC UK to BPI Account are charged at 17 GBP per transaction, which is fairly reasonable for larger transfers.

I also concur that HSBC allows 40,000 PHP withdrawal, have no tried it sucessfully. Sorry about the earlier erronous information.

My fiancee banks at BPI and I transfer funds directly to her account using Remithome ($10 Maximum $1,000/Day)

For day to day expenses I use my VISA ATM Card at BPI Max W/D per Transaction is 20,000 php NO FEE either here or in the US

Stay tuned for HSBC, I got a notice there was some fee change the end of the month. Not sure if it will effect all foreign cards or just non HSBC foreign cards. Anyone know if Citibank charges anything?

One poster said Citibank charges, but i haven't noticed any additional charge over the $1 my credit union's fee. My debit card is MasterCard (Pulse Cirrus). I stopped using Card issued by CitiBank because their overseas charges are way too high.

Edited by pokeman
  • 3 weeks later...

I can confirm BPI charges a 200php fee for foreign cards (mine's a UK Nationwide debit card). They also have a 10,000 limit. This is from earlier today. Citibank have never mentioned a charge whenever I've withdrawn money in the past.

I will be visiting HSBC from now on though due to the higher withdrawal limit.

Edited by maicon

I withdraw from BPI using my paypal card and dont get charged a dime.

Most of these fees are bank specific. Some fees are from your card provider.

As of the 18th of Sept 2010 BPI charges 200 P srvc charge on international cards!

Metrobank 150P

China Bank 150P

Bank of Commerce wouldn't accept my card.

Union Bank would not accept the same card either..

Paypal Card? Is that a credit card issued through Paypal?

Thnx

• Like 1

Well, it looks like there are going to be no fee-free banks for international ATM cards by the end of the month (unless you have some kind of arrangement like an account at that bank, etc.).

So I guess the short term strategy is to focus on 150 peso fee ATMs instead of the 200 pesos fee ATMs and to focus on ATMs with the highest withdrawal limits. The longer term workaround is, of course, to get a local bank account.

Tomas

I withdraw from BPI using my paypal card and dont get charged a dime.

Most of these fees are bank specific. Some fees are from your card provider.

As of the 18th of Sept 2010 BPI charges 200 P srvc charge on international cards!

Metrobank 150P

China Bank 150P

Bank of Commerce wouldn't accept my card.

Union Bank would not accept the same card either..

Paypal Card? Is that a credit card issued through Paypal?

Thnx

Yes, paypal will issue you a card for your paypal account. I think they charge a 1% foreign transaction fee plus $1 per withdrawal. I have read before that their currency conversion rate does not seem to be as good as other cards, but I am not sure about that (maybe I am mixing up card withdrawal rates with people who were using paypal monies to buy something in another currency and not getting a good conversion rate).

Tomas