Latest on international ATM card Surcharges

I read through this 3 month old ATM surcharge thread about the new 150 peso surcharge (at least that is the usual surcharge) on foreign ATM card cash withdrawals within the Philippines:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/index.php?showtopic=17836

I was wondering if folks had updates, as that thread was around when the fee was just coming online. Specifically, if anyone knows of banks that are currently NOT charging 150 pesos or more per withdrawal (either hidden or explicitly shown as a fee) on international ATM/debit cards.

Reading through the whole thread (which occurred as the fees were being put in place and people were just discovering them), it appeared that China Bank had not yet instituted the charge. I could not get anything else for sure out of the thread.

Also, for those with one of those international ATM cards that reimburses fees (like the Schwab ATM card), are you actually getting reimbursed by your stateside bank for these new fees?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tomas

• samatm

• mello874

• JoMads

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's actually 40.000. But if you go late afternoon it might be limited to 20 or 30K. There is also HSBC in AS Fortuna, close to the Banilad flyover. 40K limit also there.   I noticed that the ATM(Me

As of the 18th of Sept 2010 BPI charges 200 P srvc charge on international cards!   Metrobank 150P China Bank 150P   Bank of Commerce wouldn't accept my card.   Union Bank would not accept the

mello874

Try HSBC down by Ayala across road from Jeepney Depot. Open 24-7 No local charge. You can get a big withdrawal also.

Try HSBC down by Ayala across road from Jeepney Depot. Open 24-7 No local charge. You can get a big withdrawal also.

It's important to know the ATM's that will give a large withdrawal as you will be slugged for each transaction if you have to make more than one withdrawal to get the amount you need... As I found out last week....angry.gif

Thanks, Mello. Just to verify, they have no special fee for any foreign card, not just HSBC? Do you know happen to know what the maximum withdrawal amount is?

I went to their web site. Unfortunately, that is the only location in Cebu, on Fortuna near the intersection of Cuenca and Fortuna.

Tomas

senseless

I withdraw from BPI using my paypal card and dont get charged a dime.

Most of these fees are bank specific. Some fees are from your card provider.

Edited by senseless

It's important to know the ATM's that will give a large withdrawal as you will be slugged for each transaction if you have to make more than one withdrawal to get the amount you need... As I found out last week....angry.gif

Yes, I think it would also be useful to know the 15000 peso and up maximum withdrawal ATMs, independent of the fee.

I am sometimes scared to try a large amount on a random ATM because I am afraid that I will get charged for the withdrawal. This has happened to me before near Manila.

TheMatrix

No charges at BPI (knock on wood).

mello874

Thomas, If you use a visa card, i know you can get more then 20,000P. Depends on you arrangement with your card provider. I used metro and BDO before then they want 150p for only 10,000. So i went looking, i heard China has no charge also.

Panserhansen

maximum withdrawal at HSBC atm is 20,000p

It's actually 40.000. But if you go late afternoon it might be limited to 20 or 30K. There is also HSBC in AS Fortuna, close to the Banilad flyover. 40K limit also there.

I noticed that the ATM(Metro Bank?) in Country Mall now charges 200 peso per withdrawal for a foreign card. Maybe we should put up a list so people can avoid the greedy ones? ATM map for Cebu including withdrawal limits?

• Like 3
RogerDuMond

Maximum single withdrawal at HSBC is 40,000 pesos and the daily limit is based on your banks daily limit.

Edited by RogerDuMond

ya know, I thought that was the case but have either forgotten about it or flake on the transfers (also free, nu)

it shall be done immediately upon sign-off and I can quit bitchin' every month when the pension hits stateside:thumbsup:

So it appears that BPI, China Bank, and HSBC are charging no additional fees (yet) for international ATM cards. That's great! Especially BPI which is almost ubiquitous.

As more information becomes available or changes come, I hope that folks will post it here.

Yes, I track my various banks' ATM charges very closely. For those with ATM, debit, or credit cards from the USA and Canada, you can always get the latest international ATM and credit card usage information from the charts found here:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

lazydays

It's actually 40.000. But if you go late afternoon it might be limited to 20 or 30K. There is also HSBC in AS Fortuna, close to the Banilad flyover. 40K limit also there.

I noticed that the ATM(Metro Bank?) in Country Mall now charges 200 peso per withdrawal for a foreign card. Maybe we should put up a list so people can avoid the greedy ones? ATM map for Cebu including withdrawal limits?

My wife tells me,Metro Bank charges P150 per ATM withdrawl on a foreign card.

BDO is the most expensive at P200 per withdrawl.