Cebuano Language Club

JohnFromTexas

Certainly there are lots of dialects here and different regional meanings, pronunciations, etc... and just like people who speak broken english, you will generally get your point across to the other person.. but the person who speaks broken english is still speaking incorrectly... and there is still a wrong way to speak cebuano. Just saying we should take care to learn it the best way possible first as once something is ingrained as habit it's harder to correct. Not criticizing anyone's cebuano as I don't have any qualification for that at all :chopper: just making the point that while you can surely be understood speaking incorrectly, it's better to learn it properly the first go round if you can.

Balay that's an interesting idea.. cebuano bowling nights hahah. how do you say strike in cebuano :survivor: that might be something we could plan. Noise might be an issue depending on how crowded it gets... it's not usually too bad during the day when I go but never been there at night. maybe next week sometime... next time i go down there to bowl i'll find out what the least busy night is

• Like 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Balay

• Athena

• Paul

• OFW Filipina

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found this and hope it can help to those wanted to learn more bisayan language .... CebuanoStudyNotes.pdf

Balay

roaddog

I am very interested in coming to any langauge meetings. I arrive on the 23rd and can only stay for 6 weeks this trip. It seems I have one of those memory problems too. What words I manage to learn while there have disappeared by the time I get back again. So hopefully us shorttimers can learn too.

mahogany

The issue of learning a language that is otherwise not officially taught is an interesting one; I have encountered many "inconsistencies" in grammar and spelling in the bisayan dialect that I tend to doubt that there is one correct way - at least none that I am aware of.

Another difficulty lies in the fact, that the bisayan dialect is in fact very simple, but becomes difficult for some foreigners in that you cannot articulate yourself as you are used to, so you are forced to place everything into the local context.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Tex, just as in English, and as Balay just stated, there are differences in the language throughout a single province, and certainly throughout the entire country.

For example, there are eight (8) major languages in this country - eight. This country, the entire country, could fit in an area about the size of one of our states, Arizona.

So, there are a number of differences, not only within a single language.

My point was, and is, that while Angie teaches what would be proper Cebuano, typically, the way I speak is just a bit different... kind of like Yankee and Southern English, if you see my point. Typically though, I do try to speak proper Cebuano and will certainly appreciate anyone correcting me. I am only saying that, in most cases, the Filipinos are not asking me what I said, because they were unable to understand me.

In fact, in my years here, I have had very few issues with Cebuanos understanding me. After all, at least I am trying to learn.

so you're saying you punctuate your Cebuano with alot of y'alls and well doggies ?

git-r-done buddy git-r-done

Athena

What do you suggest everyone learns first ? Or should we jump to lesson 10 first.

Since you asked, may suggest in understanding the basics first, then build your vocabulary?! I thought this Wikipedia entry is very interesting and clearly explains things to native English speakers. But its up to you

Edited by Elinel
Athena

The issue of learning a language that is otherwise not officially taught is an interesting one; I have encountered many "inconsistencies" in grammar and spelling in the bisayan dialect that I tend to doubt that there is one correct way - at least none that I am aware of.

Another difficulty lies in the fact, that the bisayan dialect is in fact very simple, but becomes difficult for some foreigners in that you cannot articulate yourself as you are used to, so you are forced to place everything into the local context.

Actually, it is taught in the lower primary school. Well it was in my time anyway, from pimary I-IV. Perhaps, this essay link below will help you to understand the evolution of the Filipino language

What do you suggest everyone learns first ? Or should we jump to lesson 10 first.

Since you asked, may suggest in understanding the basics first, then build your vocabulary?! I thought this Wikipedia entry is very interesting and clearly explains things to native English speakers. But its up to you

• 3 weeks later...
TheAofDNA

So is anyone meeting up yet? I'd like to join the meetings along with my boyfriend, but a more central location would be a better option for us considering we live in Ibabao, Mandaue.

We are trying to learn Cebuano and I currently have a bunch of random phrases written down in a small notebook...it's really unorganized.

We've been recently putting it off, but we even bought a 1500PHP Dictionary!. . maybe we can take it to the meetings haha.

Let me know if more people want to join and do this.

• 1 month later...
A_Simple_Man

I found this and hope it can help to those wanted to learn more bisayan language ....

Thats a good find. Thank you for the link

I found this and hope it can help to those wanted to learn more bisayan language ....

Maayong gabii at salamat!

The file you posted is really helpful for me.

Oh, not to mention, I am trying to add words, which do not currently exist, to the Cebuano Language.

For meals, there is:

1. Breakfast - pamahaw

2. Lunch - paniudto

3. (Dinner) Supper - panihapon

And the one I have added, because Filipinos eat all the time!

4. Late night snack - panigabii :scratch_head:

Don't forget pamahaw ka duha for the hobbits reading.

Oh, not to mention, I am trying to add words, which do not currently exist, to the Cebuano Language.

For meals, there is:

1. Breakfast - pamahaw

2. Lunch - paniudto

4. Late night snack - panigabii :scratch_head:

... pamahaw ka duha... does it mean "breakfast for two"?

OFW Filipina

For meals, there is:

1. Breakfast - pamahaw

2. Lunch - paniudto

4. Late night snack - panigabii :biggrin_01:

Mostly Filipino , eat breakfast beside coffee at 7am and eat snack @around 10am...thats why maybe they say 2 time eat breakfast.

Usually very early morning is the coffee and 'pandesal' then after an hour or two depending on how early one wakes up in the morning is the real breakfast with rice and eggs or whatever, and usually coffee and bread will still be present for another round of coffee. We Filipinos seldom drink coffee without bread.....so bread again!!