Cebuano Language Club

Does anyone here want to be part of a Cebuano Language club ? Foreigners and Filipinos are welcome. It will be for those who want to learn or improve their Cebuano Language skills.

There will be no charge. It will be FREE, Cebuano teachers are more than welcome to join us to meet members who want private one on one lessons.

We can meet up every Monday to start. For those living North of Cebu City we can meet at 5:00 p.m. in Lilo-an or Consolacion.

Members who are already speaking some Cebuano can help out new members. You can meet and make new friends in a wholesome family enviroment.

We can start with the basics.

Vocabulary

amahan = Father

Amerikano = American

asawa = wife

babaye = woman

bata = child

buoton = nice character

nindot = nice object

dato = rich

estudyante = student

gwapo = handsome ( male )

gwapa = pretty ( female )

higala = friend

inahan = Mother

init = hot

kugihan = industrious

kusgan = strong person

lig-on = strong object

lalake = man

maestro = male teacher

maestra = female teacher

Philipino = Filipino

taas = tall or long

tambok = fat

Lesson 1

Personal Pronouns (1st Class )

Singular

I = Ako

You = Ikaw

He / She = Siya

Plaural

We ( including the person speaking to ) = Kita

We ( excluding the person speaking to ) = Kami

You ( plural ) = Kamo

They = Sila

Cebuanos are famous for shortening words, so some of the pronouns that are shortened which are commonly used, such

as ako = ko or kita = ta. Sila (they) is the only pronoun that is not shortened . . . yet.

Singular

ako / ko = I

ikaw / ka = you

siya / s'ya = he / she

Plaural

kita / ta = we ( including the person speaking )

kami / mi = we ( excluding the person speaking )

kamo / mo = you ( plural )

sila = they

The personal pronoun kita ( ta ) is "inclusive". That is, it includes those to whom one is speaking, kami (mi) is "exclusive, that is excludes the person whom is speaking.

A 1st Class Personal Pronoun marks the TOPIC of the sentence. The topic is the most important subject in the sentence. In English the speaker usually emphasizes particular words by saying it LOUDER, or by the intonation or pitch. In Cebuano, words in a sentence are given a relative importance by "marking" them with a 1st Class marker.

Sometimes these 1st Class markers are the subject of the sentence, at other times they are the object of the action,or the recipient or beneficiary of the action. The latter will be learned in later lessons.

Examples

1. Philipino ikaw (ka) = You are Filipino.

2. Amerikano ako (ko) = I am American.

3. Estudyante siya (s'ya) = He / She is a student.

4. Gwapa siya (s'ya) = She is beautiful.

5. Taas ako (ko) = I am tall.

6. Dato sila = They are rich.

* mga is a pluralizer indicating a plural form of the noun

7. Mga lalake kita (ta) = We ( inclusive ) are men.

8. Mga babaye kami (mi)= We ( exclusive ) are woman.

9. Mga higala kita (ta)= We ( inclusive ) are friends.

10. Mga Philipino kami (mi) = We ( Exclusive ) are Filipinos.

These next sentences are called equational sentences. There is no verb in these Cebuano sentences. The noun or adjective is "equated" (=) with the pronoun. The English translation uses the verb "to be".

In Cebuano there is no direct translation of the verb "to be". So the noun or adjective is "equated" ( = ).

For Example if you want to say. I am ....

1. Taas ako = I am tall.

2. Kusgan ako = I am strong.

3. Gwapo ako = I am handsome.

4. Tambok ako = I am fat.

5. Amerikano ako = I am American

6. Maestro ako = I am a teacher

7. Lalake ako = I am a man.

8. Babaye ako = I am a woman.

The exact translation would be:

1. Taas ako = Tall I

2. Kusgan ako = Strong I.

3. Gwapo ako = Handsome I.

4. Tambok ako = Fat I.

5. Amerikano ako = American I.

6. Maestro ako = Teacher I

7. Lalake ako = Man I.

8. Babaye ako = Woman I.

Here are some sentances using the vocabulary list and 1st Class Personal Pronouns

Cebuano to English

1. Amahan siya = He is a Father.

2. Higala kita = We are friends.

3. Babaye ikaw = You are a woman.

4. Philipino kamo = You all are Filipino.

5. Estudyante siya = He / She is a student.

6. Mga higala kami = We are friends.

7. Mga Amerikano sila = They are Americans.

8. Dato kami = We are rich.

English to Cebuano

1. Estudyante kita = We ( inclusive ) are students.

2. Philipinos sila = They are Filipinos.

3. Babaye ikaw = You are a woman.

4. Asawa ako = I am a wife.

5. Kusgan kamo = You ( plaural ) are strong.

6. Buoton siya = She is nice.

7. Maestro kami - We ( exclusive ) are teachers.

8. Kugihan siya = He is industious.

9. Inahan ako = I am a Mother.

When we meet every week, it can be explain in person so you understand completly.

Feel free to correct or add anything to this lesson to make it easier for everyone to understand.

Add some simple vocabulary and make new sentances with the 1st class pronouns.

Edited by Balay
  • Like 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Balay

• Athena

• Paul

• OFW Filipina

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found this and hope it can help to those wanted to learn more bisayan language .... CebuanoStudyNotes.pdf

Balay

JohnFromTexas

I would be interested in this although I would prefer a more central location and I think the people in the south or lapu lapu probably won't want to go that far.

I would be interested in this although I would prefer a more central location and I think the people in the south or lapu lapu probably won't want to go that far.

Well pick a day and location.

For example on Mondays could be North of Cebu. Other days or the week can be anywhere else in Cebu.

Depending on what day and time, I may or may not be able to make it to other locations.

It will be a good way to meet with other members who are tying to learn Cebuano. It is a good way to practice with out any pressure and we can help each other out.

Check out Lesson 2

mahogany

Excellent idea...maybe you can continue with your lessons so that those who cannot attend can work on their vocab at home if they wish. The asawa will have to help with the pronunciation however.

Here a small useful link in case you are groping for a word: http://www.bansa.org/dictionaries/ceb/

Excellent idea...maybe you can continue with your lessons so that those who cannot attend can work on their vocab at home if they wish. The asawa will have to help with the pronunciation however.

Here a small useful link in case you are groping for a word: http://www.bansa.org/dictionaries/ceb/

Yeah I can add new lessons every week or so.

But the whole idea of the language club is to meet in person to practice with others trying to learn.

Those of you who want to attend the meetings, copy the lessons that are posted here and bring them. If there are any questions we can work on it together.

Here is another small link you may find useful: http://www.binisaya.com/

Jess Bartone
..... it can be explain in person so you understand completly.

Feel free to correct or add anything to this lesson to make it easier for everyone to understand.

It can be explained.

Great idea Balay. Can you explain how "we" can be exclusive? That's akin to saying "you" can be inclusive.

..... it can be explain in person so you understand completly.

It can be explained.

Great idea Balay. Can you explain how "we" can be exclusive? That's akin to saying "you" can be inclusive.

Perhaps if used in this context....

"feeling a little off colour today are we ?"

Edited by ILPI
chimellie

Maybe that's the right way Balay is trying to teach us, how we all started as toddlers and gradually mature. Maybe in a year or 2 we can use the local slang, shorten the words like the locals do, til then we have to learn the basic.

Thanks Balay.

• Like 2

Can you explain how "we" can be exclusive?

Exclusive means when I am speaking to you and use the word "we", but that does'nt not include you ( the person I am speaking to )

Cebuano to English

6. Mga higala kami = We are friends.

"Everyone at the gym, We are friends". But that does'nt not include you. Since you don't go to the gym here.

8. Dato kami = We are rich.

"My schoolmates and I meet every Saturday. We are rich". Since you are not a schoolmate of mine you are not included.

English to Cebuano

1. Estudyante kita = We ( inclusive ) are students.

If see you at a coffee shop and I say to you. "We have study now, we are students". If it was true that you are a student also I would use kata. But maybe you would correct me and tell me you already graduated. So that would not include you being a student. So then kimi would be used instead.

7. Maestro kami - We ( exclusive ) are teachers.

If you are a cashier at at store and I say to you. "Can we have a discount ? We are teachers". Since I am speaking to you and you are not part of our group of teachers. I would use kami.

Often you hear people here say "Ta Na". They are sayin. "We go now".

Later you will learn one form of Na means now. Na has multiple meanings since other words are shortened to "Na". But when you hear a Cebuano say "Ta Na". They saying We (You included) go now. They don't say. "Mi Na". Since they are speaking to you and you are also included to leave.

Maybe that's the right way Balay is trying to teach us, how we all started as toddlers and gradually mature. Maybe in a year or 2 we can use the local slang, shorten the words like the locals do, til then we have to learn the basic.

Thanks Balay.

I have a toddler right now at home. I am teaching him his first ever words in life.

Do I teach him how to say Water or Tubig, or should I teach him H20 instead ?

SkyMan

It's not the speaker who is included or excluded. I think you need a maestra.

• Like 2

You are correct. I edited the corrections. Can you be my teacher.

kita / ta = we ( including the person speaking to )

kami / mi = we ( excluding the person speaking to )

I also need a grammar and spelling coach.

Edited by Balay

This is my student now, sharing what I have taught him. Good job, SkyMan!

kita / ta = we (including the listener or the person being spoken to, NOT the speaker)

kami / mi = we (excluding the listener or the person being spoken to, NOT the speaker)

• Like 1