GROUND BEEF AND LA GERMANIA OVEN: And Ice Cream

gcurious

Thanks guys for all the info and experiences. Rustans sounds like the place to go now....or maybe that Fresh Market section at SM. I can't wait now to get some really good tasting ground beef and steaks..

I'll be dreaming about it all night...heheheh....but of course, I will smell it 1st.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnFromTexas

• cebubird

• booger10

• easy44

Athena

Have you tried shopping your meat at the local wet market?????? The best time to shop is very early morning. Then you get the freshest and good quality meat. By 9:00 am you would usually get the rejects or for general consumptions as most restaurants and carenderia get their daily meat supply as early as 4:00 or even 3:00 in the morning. Also, try to develop a "suki" at the market as they will put aside the good and quality stuff for you. Once you have develop a suki, you don't have to go early in the morning, you can just call them on the phone and give them a list of want you want and how many and they will set it aside for you. Some even would deliver it to your house, that is if your suki of long standing and buys a lot of meat regularly from them.

Of course, it goes without saying that you still have to check the meat you are given. They might be your suki but they are also Filipino businessmen and just might slip unwanted thing or two or even blatantly lie. The other advantage of the suki in a local wet market is, they will go out of their way if you asked them to give you the freshest meat and good quality meat. But you have to spell it out clearly to them just in case you have different definitions of quality. The suki can give you meat from young lean animals that are raised traditionally as opposed to animals with so many injections. That is another advantage in local wet market. They tend to have more meats raised traditionally. Most meat sold at the supermarkets comes from commercial animal growers so there would be a lot of injections on the animal to maximise growth/profit.

JohnFromTexas

Is the local wet market really going to have high quality beef??

Go to Rustan's for your beef... SM is just if you can't make it to ayala :crack-up: it's not as good of quality as rustan's and there's not the same selection. The only thing better at SM is their freshmarket pork section and their chicken section, which always has chicken breast filets without the bone and skin. The pork is more the typical filipino market style though and lots of fat. Rustan's pork is decent for not too fatty of a cut. Rustan's also has the highest quality fruits and vegetables usually that i've found locally, although you are often paying more for that quality. Also Rustan's has the best cheese selection and a pretty good deli meat section. I did actually find provolone cheese at Rustan's today.

DeezNuz

For my home-made spaghetti and mexican foods...I've come to just use ground pork instead.

Tastes better than most any beef available here in Philippines. Just my personal opinion.

SmokyMtnRon

For my home-made spaghetti and mexican foods...I've come to just use ground pork instead.

Tastes better than most any beef available here in Philippines. Just my personal opinion.

We've gotten in the habit of mixing 50% of each, ground beef and ground pork, for our cooking. Just seems to taste better than only ground beef or ground pork alone.

:shitbricks::scratch_head: :lee_popcorn:

cebubird

OK, I hope it will be ok if I segue into this, but I have read on here before about a guy(german I guess) who makes and sells GREAT sausages. have heard that he even sells to Leylands here in Argao. So do any of you know how to get in touch with him?

I now know that the consensus for meat is Rustans, so need the good sausage also.

cebubird

Well, we made our 1st visit to Rustans at Ayala yesterday and I can see why someone would factor in the distance to there when looking for place to live. We spent about 2 hours in there just looking aroound and ended up spending too much just for little goodies for me. It is by FAR the best of all the stores we have been in. Told my wife the difference in Rustans and the other stores is like the difference in Publix and a Dollar General back where we lived.

BTW our bill came to 2363 and I handed the nice lady 3k and she didnt aske for right change, just smiled and gave me change. The over all experience of shopping was superior aside from the variety of items.

Thanks again for the imput from the forum

DeezNuz

Publix...hehehehe...Only state I know that has a Publix is Florida.

RogerDuMond

Publix...hehehehe...Only state I know that has a Publix is Florida.

Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee.

http://store.publix.com/publix/

JohnFromTexas

I'd say a better comparison is Publix to Aldi's :P

The metro ayala upstairs from rustan's actually has a better selection of imported goods. their meat/fruit/cheeses just aren't as good... but for anything you want that comes in a box or a can, go upstairs to metro ayala :) for anything that needs to be refrigerated or perishes quickly, go to rustans :) personally i usually stop at metro ayala first and get anything that rustans does not carry (usually just a few things) and then I go to rustans for everything else. Oh metro ayala also has a much better frozen food section (except for ice cream). You can find a variety of sausages at metro ayala upstairs, I don't know how they compare to what you are looking for but I have had a couple and they are ok. The only better thing in the rustan's freezer section is Ben & Jerry's ice cream, but it is defintely NOT cheap. leaps and bounds above the local ice creams though including nestles.

easy44

There is some really nice ice cream at Tinderbox. Arce and Fruit and Cream brands. Way, way better than any of the common local brands and comparable to high end US ice creams.

JohnFromTexas

Guessing as expensive as imported US ice creams too?

easy44

As I recall, they are about 300 pesos for a half gallon. Not bad considering the quality.

cebubird

As I recall, they are about 300 pesos for a half gallon. Not bad considering the quality.

We paying 250 at local store for the Philippine stuff-havent seen anything but local so far

easy44

We paying 250 at local store for the Philippine stuff-havent seen anything but local so far

BTW, the ice cream at Tinderbox is made in the Philippines, just better quality than the Magnolia etc. you find in the supermarket.