GROUND BEEF AND LA GERMANIA OVEN: And Ice Cream

cebubird

Hope I am not out of line here by trying to kill 2 birds(as it were)with one post.

Have read comments on her before about the quality of meat here, but as I like to cook and at my wife's insistence, finally broke down and bought some meat at SaveMore. Wanted to make a meat sauce for spaghetti, so purchased small amount of ground beef. I knew as I was browning it that I would not be happy. Normally I will eat at least a qtr lb of it raw while I am preparing it. Anyway-long story short-from now on I will just make a meatless sauce. TERRIBLE taste to the meat. Have been told by good friend John Lane that Makro has some australian beef that is similar to US quality.

To make matters worse last night, after this I watched a feature on one of the best steak houses in the world(Bern's in Tampa)

So, on to question-also bought some pork chops there and would like to bake them, but cannot figure out how to light the oven on the La Germania stove in this house. Also have no clue as to how to maintain a temperature once it is burning. since it does not have those settings on dial. You just turn it on. I read several of you have these stoves. Do any of you have this type? If so, can it be explained simply so that I can utilize the oven?

thanks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnFromTexas

• booger10

• cebubird

• easy44

Bob Ward

Hamburger - Rustan's is the best place to buy decent hamburger. BUT I would never eat raw hamburger here from any source.

Oven - there is a small opening in the bottom front, like a tube, just hold a lighted match or lighter to the opening and turn on the gas, it will light easily!

Temperature - When the gas is turned on there is an indentation, stopping point in the rotation of the gas knob. Not all the way open, about 3/4 where there is a stopping point. At that point the temperature is about 375 degrees F. For the long term, get an oven thermometer!

KennyF

Having looked at the meat in Makro Cebu I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Maybe that will change now SM own Makro RP but I doubt it.

You might have to wait for SM to convert them all to SM Hyper Markets.

SM has good Australian beef but it's expensive.

Local pork mince (sorry, ground pork) is great as a spaghetti sauce.

KinAC

gcurious

I had the same experience last week.....NOT eating raw ground beef.......BUT cooking the local ground beef for spaghetti.....it made the whole meal taste terrible. I couldn't eat it. My wife tried to add several different spices, catsup, sugar....hehehhee....nothing worked.....but we have a neighbor who has 10 kids.....they loved it.

So, where can I find good tasting ground beef?

I thought the meats were pretty fresh and healthy here in the Philippines...because they don't use all the steroids the US and others use...but maybe this is not true.

Any ideas?

Panserhansen

So, where can I find good tasting ground beef?

Any ideas?

Try the extra lean at Rustans, Ayala. 280 a kilo or so. Tinderbox in Banilad, not sure if they have ground beef but I think so - they do have imported meat.

Headshot

Has anybody noticed that the locals always SMELL the meat before buying it? There is a good reason for that. Meat that doesn't SMELL right won't TASTE right either. That said, pick out the best looking piece of beef you can find...SMELL it...and then have it ground for you. Most butcher shops in stores will do this for you. Yes, you will be paying a higher price, but will be more likely to get meat you can eat. The normal ground beef here is about 70% fat (some of which may be pork fat), so it isn't what westerners are used to.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

unless you totally trust the place you are getting your meat .. not just to give you what you want but also as far as sanitary conditions go .. you are always best to choose meat then have it ground or much better get a small grinder electric or manual and grind it yourself

Turbota

I have a La Germania stove / oven too.

Mine I guess is different than yours. On mine, you have to set the temp knob on the oven to it's highest temp, and then push the knob in while lighting the gas through a round hole on the bottom of the oven. You then hold the temp knob in for a few seconds after it lights prior to letting the knob pop back out.

As far as ground beef here in the Philippines, we only have SM and Robinsons supermarkets here in Bacolod. Even the more expensive so-called 'extra lean' ground beef has kind of a "gamey" taste for some reason.

Because of this, I add salt, black pepper and finely chopped onions to the meat and mix it in real good with my hands prior to cooking it ... That seems to get rid of the strange taste this ground beef has over here.

Ron,

KennyF

As I understand it, western meat is "aged".

In Asia the animal is consumed within hours of slaughter.

KinAC

thebob

I thought the meats were pretty fresh and healthy here in the Philippines...because they don't use all the steroids the US and others use...but maybe this is not true.

Any ideas?

I don't know why people think this about local meat. You should look around the local agrivet.

Steroids save you a lot of money on feed, and antibiotics save you from loosing an animal to infection.

Think about it.

Bob Ward

Even the more expensive so-called 'extra lean' ground beef has kind of a "gamey" taste for some reason.

Because it's mixed with carabao.

cebubird

Thanks everyone. Im glad to know that its because I am a beef "snob" that it tasted so different to me. Like I said I had noticed that taste in the burgers at Jollibees and same at McD. Maybe the pork is an idea, or just stick to making meatless sauce. Im getting fond of eating

Del Monte canned tomatoes anyway.

And Bob, tried what you said on the oven and it worked-also noticed the sort of stopping point at the 3/4 area like you said. I thought that may be how to light, but rather to be safe than sorry when fooling with gas. The burners on this one light automatically. this one has a time chart on front that says how long to preheat at each temp, which to me makes it even more confusing since there is no temp setting on it. I guess in the middle(where the little flame is)must be the max temp.

No guys, I would NEVER eat raw meat here either. that will just have to be another one of those little things I will have to learn to do without for the rest of my life.

Only been inn Rustans once-usually its SM so I can visit with my friend John a little at RAO, or SaveMore since it is convenient to the bus teerminal.

Again, thanks to all-never ceases to amaze me the help;ful hints nd/or advice that can be had on here.

Ive said before just hope that after I have lived here awhile I can also be of help to people.

REf 1st line-dont know how to edit-but I meant to say ===glad to know that its NOT because Im a beef snob

SkyMan

Has anybody noticed that the locals always SMELL the meat before buying it? There is a good reason for that. Meat that doesn't SMELL right won't TASTE right either. That said, pick out the best looking piece of beef you can find...SMELL it...and then have it ground for you. Most butcher shops in stores will do this for you. Yes, you will be paying a higher price, but will be more likely to get meat you can eat. The normal ground beef here is about 70% fat (some of which may be pork fat), so it isn't what westerners are used to.

I can tell if I'm going to like it or not by the color mainly. I don't buy any of the cuts that are dark red. What I'm looking for is a consistant reddish pink like I would find in a plastic wrapped styro container back home. No other color will do. Smelling it is probably a good choice too. I used to get some good ground beef from Fooda. There are two meat stores there, First Choice and Monterey meats. At different times one has been good while thte other bad. Lately, neither has been good at all. In fact, the last time I looked the First Choice ground beef had several colors including orange, brown, and a couple colors in between. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Rustan's Australian beef is always good and there local beef pretty good too. They have gotten used to me too because before I would always have problems ordering 5 1/2 kilo bags of ground beef. I order that way because that's a bit more than a pound. They used to get a big bag and start heaping it in. No, no, I just want 5 bags, each with a half kilo.

KennyF

>>> Also have no clue as to how to maintain a temperature once it is burning. since it does not have those settings on dial.

White Gold have oven thermometers that might help you get used to the oven.

KinAC

JohnFromTexas

Rustans is definitely the way to go... and not as expensive as previously stated... ground round is 180, sirloin (10% fat) is 230 and only the extra lean ground beef is 260-280. I have never had a problem with the meat at rustans tho I do give it visual check and sometimes i will go with one variety over another because it looks fresher. It's always good at rustan's and never any of that local crap.

In a pinch if you're desparate, the SaveMore at SM Mall (not any of the others as far as I know) has a 'MarketFresh' section, and the aussie beef there is a bit better quality and closer to what you will be looking for than their regular aussie beef section or what you will find at their other smaller locations. I will only buy the aussie beef at the other locations for browning/crumbling and haven't really had a problem with it tasting weird. I have never even bothered with anything local as I know better. Can't stand jollibee burgers which definitely have pork in them but have not found McDs to be the same way - it's pretty close to US flavor for me. Although I was surprised the other day when I ordered a sausage egg mcmuffin for breakfast and it had mayo on it!!

Rustans has a lot of good steaks and varieties of beef cuts - it's the best place for beef lovers and I have to say part of the reason when I moved I went closer to Ayala :) You still have to eyeball/check the meat well as even at Rustans ever once in a while you will catch a piece of meat that is not so fresh... tho usually the biggest problem is too much air exposure/drying. Have had a problem with the ribeyes there being way too grisly too which you couldn't tell til you got it home :crack-up: have also gotten ribeyes there that were perfection.

The thing that is most lacking at Rustans is their chicken section. They rarely have filet'ed chicken meat it's usually only chicken on the bone with skin and fat still on, tho today they actually had both breast and thigh meat filets (one of the few times I've seen it). I got a kilo of the breast and the last 3 pieces of thigh meat for my kung pao chicken I'm making tonight. I found out today one of the things you will not find at rustan's are chinese vegetables... no water chestnuts or bamboo :( had to make a special trip up to gaisano to get bamboo and they only had big cans of water chestnuts :(