Sign in to follow this  
MrSuave

Growing Grass in the Philippines

MrSuave

Just wondering if there's good grass seed available there or if I should bring some in from the States.

Mowing away the moments that make up a dull day ...

joemama

You can get excellent grass seeds in amsterdam...oh wait, what flavor grass are you talking about?

lazydays

Thats like taking coal to Newcastle notallthere.gif

Edited by lazydays

Willie

No offense, but when I retire to a paradise island, mowing grass will be last on my list. Different stroke for different folks. :biggrin_01:

• Like 2

lazydays

No offense, but when I retire to a paradise island, mowing grass will be last on my list. Different stroke for different folks. cool_01.gif

Goats are very cheap Lawnmowers biggrin_01.gif

D_D

Depends on the type and strain.

The drought season is hard here and if you are close to the sea you can get a sea mist that can kill some types.

I suggest Zoysia.

• Like 1

broden

No offense, but when I retire to a paradise island, mowing grass will be last on my list. Different stroke for different folks. :biggrin_01:

i've threatened to put concrete over all of mine and paint it green on more then one occasion

Willie

No offense, but when I retire to a paradise island, mowing grass will be last on my list. Different stroke for different folks. :cool_01:

i've threatened to put concrete over all of mine and paint it green on more then one occasion

My wife grew up in Saigon Chinatown, which during the Vietnam war was the most densely populated urban place on earth. For her, "civilized" means paved -- everywhere!

Edited by Willie

Balintawak

id preffer blues rather than grass:scratch_head:

smokey

they have material for lawns here better to get a landscaper who will bring the grass ... cut in squares just like the big countries...

broden

i saw a commercial last night for a bottle of spray stuff that dyes your grass green .. they were advertising it for those "embarrassing brown spots"

reminded me of that paint they sell to spray on bald spots

pretty funny stuff

it came with a bag of some kind of grass seed too .. try that stuff

the one thing i like about the hottest part of summer here is all the grass browns and dies so no more mowing

i've never been a lawn guy

i know several though .. good luck man

thebob

Just wondering if there's good grass seed available there or if I should bring some in from the States.

Mowing away the moments that make up a dull day ...

Make sure to use a hardy 'bermuda style' and you should do OK until the dry season.

Constant supply of water is the most difficult.

Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way...

JamesMusslewhite

Most large feed stores sell grass seed in bulk. There is a turf blend that is used on park and school grounds. Then throw St Augustine seed once the turf blend takes hold, especially in shaded area. St Augustine can handle the heat and high humidity, but can stress under drought season, during these times the turf blend will hold up, but does poorer in the shade. St Augustine can handle 30% lower sunlight than Rye or Bermuda grasses which do poorly in shaded areas.

Note: turf blend, Bermuda, and St Augustine grasses can be mowed with a standard deck-top mower, but Rye grass requires a Combine style mower.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1

richard90027

Depends on the type and strain.

The drought season is hard here and if you are close to the sea you can get a sea mist that can kill some types.

I suggest Zoysia.

$35.00 lb for grass seed, your kidding right?

JamesMusslewhite

Zoysia also has lower light requirements than St Augustine, it is heat tollerent and generally requires less fertilization, less prone to insect and fungus damage. zoysia grows during the warm-wet summer and is dormant in the drier cooler season. It is popular because it has deep green coloring, fine texture and an overall soft feel to it's blades, with a low growth habit so it needs little maintenance and little mowing.

Sorry but grass seeds are not cheap, supply is limited and in conjunction with a large demand keeps grass seed pricey. It is best to seed the whole lawn area with a cheaper turf blend and only seed Zoysia or St Augustine only in the lawn areas where you will enjoy or see it most, then cut plugs and relocate to other parts on the lawn area, if the cost limites your being to seed the whole area.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite