Sign in to follow this  
Philippines Escape

Learn Cebuano For Free

Philippines Escape

Posted this in Announcements / Events but thought I should post here also

(Duplicate post deleted.-Alan S.)

A FREE Club for Expats and Non-Cebuano Speakers

Wanting to learn the Cebuano Language.

We meet every Tuesday 11.30 am at Antonieths Cafe & Wine Bar.

The idea is to bring people together who share a common interest in

learning to Speak Cebuano. You can practice with others and share

knowledge and experiences related to Cebuano.

Location: Antonieths - Shop 2 Young Bldg 6 M. Patalinghug Jr. Hwy Lapu

Lapu City PHILIPPINES

For more information and a map visit:

http://www.antonieth.com/cebuanolanguageclub.html

We have a free wireless internet connection at the Cafe so drop by anytime with your laptop. From Saturday we are open 24 hrs.

If you have any questions the email address is learncebuano***@***antonieth.com (remove the ***)

Assuming you are in cebu you are most welcome to txt or call the Cebuano instructor (he has excellent English) his name is Sem and his cel is 09066714929

We are also planning to start another expat type club to meet each week. A sort of a business networking for expats. Thinking of making that on a Monday. Feed back most welcome

Edited by Alan S

Paul

Greetings:

I finally had an opportunity to visit this class, today in fact. I was quite impressed with the instructor, enough so that I have enlisted him as a private tutor for me, daily.

cebuano_lesson.jpg

His name is Sem Villar, an excellent instructor simply from what I have seen today. He held the class at Antonieth's Cafe & Wine Bar - Cebuano Club. I look forward to going there again, as well as my personal lessons which have begun already. I'm sure, anyone who would like to become better at Cebuano / Bisaya, would certainly benefit from this class too.

Philippines Escape, thanks for hosting the classes at your cafe.

HTH

james
We are also planning to start another expat type club to meet each week. A sort of a business networking for expats. Thinking of making that on a Monday. Feed back most welcome

that sounds like an excellent idea, I need help with my business plan and getting local services to service my growing UK order book

James

:huh::(

Paul

Hi James, perhaps, when Philippines Escape logs on again, they can start a new thread in a different forum, regarding the business meeting.

Anyway, I wanted to give an update on my first three lessons in Cebuano. Although I am far from being new to Cebuano, I have already learned some things. I can see this as a very beneficial undertaking. I meet with the tutor every day (Monday through Friday), between the hours of 5:15am and 7am. (Yes, perhaps a bit early, but that is the best time of day for me to do this.)

I look forward to tomorrow morning's lesson.

ckfm
Hi James, perhaps, when Philippines Escape logs on again, they can start a new thread in a different forum, regarding the business meeting.

Anyway, I wanted to give an update on my first three lessons in Cebuano. Although I am far from being new to Cebuano, I have already learned some things. I can see this as a very beneficial undertaking. I meet with the tutor every day (Monday through Friday), between the hours of 5:15am and 7am. (Yes, perhaps a bit early, but that is the best time of day for me to do this.)

I look forward to tomorrow morning's lesson.

May I ask how much you pay for the private lessons?

Paul

May I ask how much you pay for the private lessons?

No worries. I'm happy to tell you. I pay Php 8,000 per month. This is for 1.5 to 2.0 hours per day of private instruction, five days per week. If I only wanted three days per week for the same length of time daily, it would be Php 6,000.

If two people wish to have private instruction, five days per week, it would run Php 10,000 per month, Php 5,000 each. For four students, I believe, is Php 3,000 each. But, I am not sure how many days per week that is.

So far, he has impressed me. If you are interested, show up at the location to get a bit of instruction by him. The main reason I have five days per week of instruction, is because I wish to be completely fluent in Cebuano, as quickly as possible.

HTH

rholu
No worries. I'm happy to tell you. I pay Php 8,000 per month. This is for 1.5 to 2.0 hours per day of private instruction. If I only wanted three days per week for the same length of time daily, it would be Php 6,000.

If two people wish to have private instruction, five days per week, it would run Php 10,000 per month, Php 5,000 each. For four students, I believe, is Php 3,000 each. But, I am not sure how many days per week that is.

So far, he has impressed me. If you are interested, show up at the location to get a bit of instruction by him. The main reason I have five days per week of instruction, is because I wish to be completely fluent in Cebuano, as quickly as possible.

HTH

Yeah it's worth a pay. I myself handle an online Cebuano Tutorial (though I am not Cebuano but Ormocanon). That rate is very good. Usually online language tutors rate a minimum of $10.00 an hour. For his 20 years of teaching who could not learn from him? Only those who will not avail of his service.

Anyway, I agree with his statement that most Cebuano teachers only teach conversations and they neglect sentence constructions. I myself adapt the scope and content of a Cebuano book.

Rholu

Balay

This thread is old. I don't think they are still meeting. ( but that doesn't mean you should lock the thread )

I can defiantly say Sem is the best.

Don't try to learn Bisaya from your GF or Wife unless she has teaching experience.

Learn it from Sim. A real teacher.

Paul

Balay, I'm under the impression you had Sem as a teacher? How long did you work with him?

And no, they are no longer meeting at that location, although I haven't spoken with Sem to see where he may have a class going now, elsewhere. The business where they met, in fact, is no longer in business.

cebuexpat

I have been trying to track Sem down recently. I started having lessons with him about 4 years ago but after an inforced return to Europe obviously had to stop.

I am now in a position to re-start but looks like he has changed his cell number (was 09066 714929); if anyone gets his new number please let me know.

Cheers

Balay
if anyone gets his new number please let me know.

Balay
Balay, I'm under the impression you had Sem as a teacher? How long did you work with him?

I just know people who he taught.

They learned more Bisaya in a month from Sim than what they tried to learn for years from their gf or wife.

rholu

And no, they are no longer meeting at that location, although I haven't spoken with Sem to see where he may have a class going now, elsewhere. The business where they met, in fact, is no longer in business.

Ah, sorry to hear that. Perhaps he is now working as an online mentor or in-house language tutor.

Paul

I don't know how often he is online, but I do know that he used to stay pretty busy giving lessons.

I have never, ever, seen anyone teach Cebuano, who was better than Sem Villar.

Balay
Ah, sorry to hear that. Perhaps he is now working as an online mentor or in-house language tutor.

He is in Manila right now working on getting a visa to go to the US. He works a lot of with Missionaries.

Send him a text.. he will be back this week.

He makes trips to Bohol every weekend because he has a few students over there.

Balay
I don't know how often he is online, but I do know that he used to stay pretty busy giving lessons.

I have never, ever, seen anyone teach Cebuano, who was better than Sem Villar.

He is not busy at all. He only has 4 students... which is really SAD. Not only is he a good teacher of the language but he can also give a newbie some professional insight into the culture.

Maybe you would be so kind enough to edit this first post since it is out dated and put SIMS info for those looking to get professional Cebuano language lessons.

the_nanny

hope u could find another teacher :rolleyes: