Manila to Cebu Superferry

We've taken the Superferry one time (Stateroom) and it was a nice experience. But if there are only 2 of you, and you don't have a lot of baggage, for a little more money Cebu Pacific will get you there in just over an hour as opposed to 22-24 hours.

All,

Fantastic response & helped me in my decision making process. That is, with travel to & from terminals, waiting to board & then 23 hours onboard = too much.

Cebu Pacific as usual then but I will look at trying the ferry on a shorter trip maybe to visit friends in CDO sometime, from Cebu.

Cheers

Uzi

Seems I made a good choice:

Ship runs aground off Cebu

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Ricky

• UZI

• Jim Sibbick

I've taken the superferry from manila --> cebu and back many times.. but not stateroom. The ride takes 24 hours. If you can afford it, take the plane. btw my cell phone was snatched once in the ecomomy bay... but they returned the sim card smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Edited by LeoL
  • 2 weeks later...

I would seriously discourage anyone from using the ferries in the Philippines on the grounds of safety; these ships would not pass a 'Port State Control' inspection in Europe by any means, and have an awful record. Unless you have a sense for adventure, it's not recommended.

Your safest bet is to fly, and with that 'Cebu Pacific'... believe it or not!

udonthani

I've taken the superferry from manila --> cebu and back many times.. but not stateroom. The ride takes 24 hours. If you can afford it, take the plane. btw my cell phone was snatched once in the ecomomy bay... but they returned the sim card

I'm not sure of the fares on the Cebu-Manila run as I've never done a ferry journey that long, but seeing as 10-12 hour ferry rides in the Philippines cost about 950 pesos in 'tourist' - aircon - class, I'd expect them to come in at about 1400-1600 on a journey that is twice the length?

well, you can fly for that. Sure, you've got a couple of other expenses like departure tax at the airport, but it isn't necessarily all that cheaper to take a ferry than fly, especially if you buy the food and drinks they sell on the boat rather than bring your own.

joemama

I just downloaded the superferry video and played it without problems.

It is not meant to be streamed if that is waht you are trying to do.

Here is the link, right click with your mouse and select "save target as"

http://www.philippines-experience.com/videos/superferry.wmv

It is designed for playback with wimdows media player but works fine with my VLC media player.

Regards: Jim

Very informative video Jim, thanks much!

SkyMan

I've taken the superferry from manila --> cebu and back many times.. but not stateroom. The ride takes 24 hours. If you can afford it, take the plane. btw my cell phone was snatched once in the ecomomy bay... but they returned the sim card

I'm not sure of the fares on the Cebu-Manila run as I've never done a ferry journey that long, but seeing as 10-12 hour ferry rides in the Philippines cost about 950 pesos in 'tourist' - aircon - class, I'd expect them to come in at about 1400-1600 on a journey that is twice the length?

well, you can fly for that. Sure, you've got a couple of other expenses like departure tax at the airport, but it isn't necessarily all that cheaper to take a ferry than fly, especially if you buy the food and drinks they sell on the boat rather than bring your own.

During Super Ferry's Todo Todo sale which is going on right now, a state room is about p2K and that's good for 2. It would be difficult to fly for that after all the fees are added. And a stateroom sleeps 4 so if you happened to be traveling in a small group, you could buy 2 cheap tickets for p500 each so the ferry for 4 would be p3K and the flight would likely be over p4k.

No big savings but there are 2 cases that make it worth while. The first being if you are traveling with a large amount of luggage, flying could cost you quite a bit. The second time to consider the ferry is if you were here on vacation rather than a resident. You could fly Manila-Cebu on Wednesday and get a hotel room on Wednesday night, or you could 'check-in' to the SuperFerry hotel on Wednesday in Manila and 'Check-out' on Thursday in Cebu. So, you've saved a little on cost versus flying, maybe some more on excess baggage charges, and you didn't have to pay for a room one night. It's not for everyone but it can be a good deal.

joemama

During Super Ferry's Todo Todo sale which is going on right now, a state room is about p2K and that's good for 2. It would be difficult to fly for that after all the fees are added. And a stateroom sleeps 4 so if you happened to be traveling in a small group, you could buy 2 cheap tickets for p500 each so the ferry for 4 would be p3K and the flight would likely be over p4k.

No big savings but there are 2 cases that make it worth while. The first being if you are traveling with a large amount of luggage, flying could cost you quite a bit. The second time to consider the ferry is if you were here on vacation rather than a resident. You could fly Manila-Cebu on Wednesday and get a hotel room on Wednesday night, or you could 'check-in' to the SuperFerry hotel on Wednesday in Manila and 'Check-out' on Thursday in Cebu. So, you've saved a little on cost versus flying, maybe some more on excess baggage charges, and you didn't have to pay for a room one night. It's not for everyone but it can be a good deal.

I am sorry, but when i am on vacation, i prefer to be at my destination instead of on the water for an extra 24 hours, but i guess i am impatient. The only time i would ever take a ferry is if I bought a vehicle in manila and needed to get it to cebu, or..if I did live there full time and had all the time in the world to kick back on a boat.

Jim Sibbick

I would seriously discourage anyone from using the ferries in the Philippines on the grounds of safety; these ships would not pass a 'Port State Control' inspection in Europe by any means,

Do you know this from personal experience or are just guessing.

Those Superferry people seem to be very concerned with safety. From start to finish. They have multiple check for boarding passengers, plus bomb sniffing dogs. On board, there are life vests, life boats, instructions every where on what to do in an emergency, including emergeny route indicators. And most encouraging, when I travelled, all safety equipment looked to be in VERY good condition.

Perhaps you are referring to some old barco travelling to some remote towm. Yes, very unsafe but we are not discussing old barcos here.

Regards; Jim

Hi Jim, yeah most definitely personal experience, although 4 or 5 years back. I'm in the business (Master Mariner FG), and have to admit I was expecting a lot better from the Philippines, particularly since it's a seafaring nation. They need to a lot to bring the standards up, but it all comes down to cost and experienced people. The good guys always move on to bigger and better things, and i've sailed with a few Filipino ex-ferry guys with plenty of stories to tell. The government has made a few initiatives to try and solve the problems, but it'll take a lot more. The numbers of lives lost in recent years due to ferry accidents is quite horrific, and what is even scarier is how poorly the evacuation procedures seem to be, well trained hotel staff would improve the situation considerably.

Edited by Ricky
udonthani

most definately personal experience, although 4 or 5 years back. I'm in the business (Master Mariner FG), and have to admit I was expecting a lot better from the Philippines, particularly since it's a seafaring nation.

mariners are probably the most visible example of 'skills drain' there is in the Philippines. As a mariner yourself, I bet you've hardly ever served on a single vessel that didn't have at least one Filipino on it - and probably a lot more than that.

all that's left in the Philippines is sailors that are so useless no foreign company will employ them and/or a bunch of kids with no experience. Filipino reputation as seafarers is deserved - but unfortunately for ferry safety in the Philippines, compatively few of them are actually employed in the Philippines itself.

Yes most definately, it's a big business. And they easily earn double or triple the salary that they'd get in the Philippines, so no real incentive to stay. The really good ones are earning salaries almost on par with the brits. Know a Filipino Chief Mate on 7000 euro a month... Very hard to compete with that!

udonthani

wasn't there a case quite recently when a Filipino crew just launched the boats and got on themselves without bothering loading the passengers on them at all?

that can happen even on ships in developed countries. It happened on the 'Andrea Doria', the last transatlantic cruise ship to sink. As a teenager I met somebody who was on that ship once - on another liner called 'Stefan Batory', the last regular schedueled transatlantic ocean liner, that used to ply its trade from Gydnia in Poland via London to Montreal when Poland was communist. Half the crew used to desert the ship every voyage then too - but only when it reached dry land in Montreal.

Every now and again on the cruise ships I worked for, we had a few Filipino crew fail to return back to the ship for sailing, what they would forget that is about 3 or 4 years earlier when they completed there US visa applications that they'd put in the details of family in the US. So the US authorities would often come back with the crew a few days later, and deport them. Can't blame them for trying though!

samatm

Nobody mentioned the upper deck jaccuzi hot tob on SF. Is it still there? I have fond memories of taking SF Manila to CEBU 12 yrs ago with my Gal (new wife) on our first trip to the Province. We had the Stateroom and enjoyed the upperdeck jaccuzi all to ourselves in the evening.. It was horribly romantic watching together the islands pass by under the moonlight....hecks just thinking about it makes me wanta go hurry and book a another trip :oldtimer: