Manila to Cebu Superferry

We are going from Manila to Cebu at the end of the month & thinking about using the opportunity to experience going by Superferry.

I searched the site & found this old THREAD with info from Big Jim & am trying to watch his video but it keeps stopping about a third way through.

I am thinking of taking Superferry 12 & booking a stateroom, which Jim recommended & looks great value. Has anyone done this run more recently & can give us some feedback on their experience?

Cheers

Uzi.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Ricky

• UZI

• Jim Sibbick

UZI,

Here is a link to a site that you might like to brows thru...It's about Super Ferries and such, in the Philippines.

http://cebu-shipping-guide.blogspot.com/2008/05/carlos-gothong-lines-schedule.html

Going back some 10 years, Margie was already in her third term of pregnancy, so the airline wouldn't let us fly from Cebu to Manila, so we took Sulpicio Lines Ferry/Cruise ship. We also payed for the best room they had, they called it the Admirals Room. Very clean and had everything we needed. TV didn't work well at all, but I hear they have satelite on most ships now, and espeicaly in the upgraded rooms. You don't eat with the main body of passengers either. We had a room we went to and ate buffet style, with about 20 other passengers, the food was simple but very good and hot.

Margie spent most her time in the room resting, but I spent most my time walking around the ship and ended up in the lounge singing kareokee....

I like it myself, and it's a very relaxing way to travel. Try to travel light, the porters are going to almost demand for more money, after handeling your bags for you. Also, when leaving, once out the secure gated area, get the first taxi you see. Don't stray to far from the safe and secure gate are.

Best of luck,

Ned

NittanyLion

Good comments here.

I recently took this ferry. First thing (which Cebuned reminded me of) was the porters. If you can carry your stuff yourself, you're much better off. I think it's one of those deals where the amount you pay per bag (for them to carry)....is "up to you." I just try to avoid them at all costs...more for my mental health than anything.

This particular ferry..Super Ferry between Manila and Cebu is freaking awesome. The boat doesn't rock. They have a huge cafeteria / videoke area where you can drink and eat. They also have an up scale dining area...which I liked to chill out in. The employees were super cool as well.

In my room, I forget the level...there were like 10 beds in an aircon room...no TV. The other people in the room had babies...and they screamed the whole time. So, I spent a lot of time outside the room. If you can get the best room (private room) for just you and your asawa or gf...then I'd recommend that instead.

It takes about 24 hours or so. But, I thought it was clean and comfortable enough...if you don't mind being on a boat that long. Really (for me) the best way to travel between Manila and Cebu is by airplane. But, the boat isn't bad...just long...and get your own room to have the most comfort.

As Cebuned mentioned, when you arrive in Cebu...just walk through all of the people trying to get your attention...just outside the gate and go to the main road...you can get a taxi there...easily.

UZI,

Here is a link to a site that you might like to brows thru...It's about Super Ferries and such, in the Philippines.

http://cebu-shipping...s-schedule.html

Going back some 10 years, Margie was already in her third term of pregnancy, so the airline wouldn't let us fly from Cebu to Manila, so we took Sulpicio Lines Ferry/Cruise ship. We also payed for the best room they had, they called it the Admirals Room. Very clean and had everything we needed. TV didn't work well at all, but I hear they have satelite on most ships now, and espeicaly in the upgraded rooms. You don't eat with the main body of passengers either. We had a room we went to and ate buffet style, with about 20 other passengers, the food was simple but very good and hot.

Margie spent most her time in the room resting, but I spent most my time walking around the ship and ended up in the lounge singing kareokee....

I like it myself, and it's a very relaxing way to travel. Try to travel light, the porters are going to almost demand for more money, after handeling your bags for you. Also, when leaving, once out the secure gated area, get the first taxi you see. Don't stray to far from the safe and secure gate are.

Best of luck,

Ned

roaddog

I've taken the superferry myself a few times and going to have to do again when I arrive next month. Seems I always have to much baggage for airplane.

It is about 24 hours but helps your body with the jetlag thing I suppose. If you have big bags use the porters that gangway is steep and slippery and the steps suck. Have one of you at the bottom to collect and guard your bags and the other at the top doing the same. And make your deal with the porter before he touches your bags.

Its not too bad, gets boring after awhile. Drink a beer and relax. I'd rather fly.

I have done this trip, it was great. Had a stateroom which was comfy, even had hbo for half the trip. The aircon was not adjustable and was very cold. Price was a little over 4000. A different superferry trip i took to Bohol, the guy that showed us to our room told me i was not entitled to have a key for the room. I told him no, get me a key now. he disappeared and returned a few minutes later holding up a key, i took it and didnt say a word to him. I think he might have robbed my room if i didnt demand a key. Familiarize yourself with the location of the lifejackets and rafts. I read a news article where a superferry capsized and the crew were the first to abandon ship without helping anyone lol, they were seen jumping overboard with lifejackets on, what cowards.

KennyF

Fly. It's cheaper and faster.

KinAC

mikejwoodnz

We took the Super Ferry Manila to Cebu. No 1 Stateroom - barely furnished and very cold. The included meal was "not available tonight" and no substitute was available - the set menu breakfast was below the standard available to purchase - if you could get away from the guards. The porters are a blessing - just remember to have 20 peso notes handy. I would not do it again - also long security procedures to board. If you do do it tell the Porter at Cebu "taxi" and there is a women at the bottom of the gangway who will issue you with a driver/guard at a set fee to your Hotel, bypassing the Piranhas at the gates. If I was to do it again, and I wouldn't, I would take plenty of beer and food and a warm blanket. Watching them throw the mooring ropes several times (oops missed) was also a bit unnerving not_see.gif

easy44

I took the SuperFerry from Manila to Cebu once and it was a mostly positive experience. We had a private stateroom which was large, clean and had it's own cr and shower. As I recall, the tv only showed movies, but better than nothing. The main problem, for me anyway, was boredom. I'm not one to hang out in the bar singing karaoke so spent much of the time reading a good book.

The most unpleasant part of the trip was the boarding process in Manila. We were told to arrive early, at least 2 hours if I remember right. I expected to be able to board as soon as we arrived and spend the rest of the time on the ship waiting to depart. Instead we had to wait in the terminal building at the pier. There were hundreds of people waiting and few available seats. It was also hot and humid as usual. For some reason the boat was late departing and we ended up waiting around for hours before we were allowed to board. Not a pleasant experience at all.

I would not do it again unless there was no choice. In that particular instance I was bringing a motorcycle from Manila to Cebu, so flying was out. The boat trip itself was not unpleasant, but mostly boring. I would rather spend all that time at home in Cebu than sitting on a boat.

SkyMan

Fly. It's cheaper and faster.

KinAC

Faster yes. Not always cheaper. When SF is running its Todo Todo sale LIKE RIGHT NOW, a stateroom can be less than p2K for two pax. Hard to beat that even with Cebu Pacific when you add the fees and taxes and terminal fees. The staterooms can sleep 4 also so if you want to do that the other 2 pax can buy cheap bunks and stay in the stateroom. Also, if you're traveling to Cebu but land in Manila with max luggage, you might find yourself paying mega money for excess baggage charges but no worries on the ferry. Bring all the luggage you want. Just keep each piece to 45lbs or less.

Another reason a ferry ride can be cheaper is if you are here on vacation you are likely to be staying in a hotel. If your girl meets you in Manila and you take the ferry, that's one night of hotel already taken care of.

Last year when I returned from the US I had max baggage (3 checked 70lb and 2 carry on business class) arriving in Manila. I had my wife take a cheap Cebu Pacific flight to meet me and we came back in a stateroom. Very nice and I think I saved maybe $200even considering her flight up.

Careful on pricing: The stateroom says it's good for 2. That means that for that price the 2 of you get the stateroom and as I said, it sleeps 4 so you have to buy cheap tickets (mega value class) for other 2 if you want. There is also a Cabin for 4 which is less than half the price. There are 2 bunch beds in this room and the price is PER PAX. So, if you want to take your wife, for example, you'll pay that price twice and 2 other people might be put in with you because the cabin is for 4. So, for privacy, get the stateroom.

TIPS:

When you board in Manila there is a set price or it may be included in the fare for porters. You leave your bags at the porter area after xray and they show up at your room later. (No really) When you get to Cebu the porters board to take your bags but you may want to drag them down to the lobby (checkin area) yourself. Negotiate with them before they run off with your bags. I think about p50 per bag is fair and well worth it. I'm not sure how it works going to Manila because it's been a while since I went that way.

The food in the coach cafeteria is not great. The food for the stateroom guests (that pay for it) is ok but not anything to write home about. Remember, this isn't a caribbean cruise. If not too much of a hassle I'd opt out of the meals and bring my own food. If carrying a lot of stuff already though, I'd opt in for the meals. I think the 2 of you get 3 meals for p400.

Again, this isn't a caribbean cruise so bring your own entertainment. Dolphin watching is possible but other than that (and that wretched screatching they call karaoke) is about it. TV quality is so so but it might not work.

Edited by SkyMan
David Spicer

We've taken the Superferry one time (Stateroom) and it was a nice experience. But if there are only 2 of you, and you don't have a lot of baggage, for a little more money Cebu Pacific will get you there in just over an hour as opposed to 22-24 hours.

We've taken the Superferry one time (Stateroom) and it was a nice experience. But if there are only 2 of you, and you don't have a lot of baggage, for a little more money Cebu Pacific will get you there in just over an hour as opposed to 22-24 hours.

All,

Fantastic response & helped me in my decision making process. That is, with travel to & from terminals, waiting to board & then 23 hours onboard = too much.

Cebu Pacific as usual then but I will look at trying the ferry on a shorter trip maybe to visit friends in CDO sometime, from Cebu.

Cheers

Uzi

Jim Sibbick

I just downloaded the superferry video and played it without problems.

It is not meant to be streamed if that is waht you are trying to do.

Here is the link, right click with your mouse and select "save target as"

http://www.philippines-experience.com/videos/superferry.wmv

It is designed for playback with wimdows media player but works fine with my VLC media player.

Regards: Jim

udonthani

Cebu Pacific as usual then but I will look at trying the ferry on a shorter trip maybe to visit friends in CDO sometime, from Cebu.

that's it. For the shorter 10-12 hour overnight sails, i.e. Mindanao-Cebu or Mindanao-Bohol, ferry is fine, but even that is a bit of a one-off and after you've done it a few times you'll usually want to end up flying. Davao-Cebu or Manila-Cebu is just too long, unless you've got a good reason to take a boat like having loads of luggage.

Jim Sibbick

All,

Fantastic response & helped me in my decision making process. That is, with travel to & from terminals, waiting to board & then 23 hours onboard = too much.

Cheers

Uzi

I like travelling by ship. The time taken is unimportant. I travelled to Ozamiz City last September in a presidential suite on Trans Asia. I didn't want that trip to be over. I had a private balcony on the side of the ship and in room massages at P300 per hour.

Anyway, Trans Asia have just introduced a new ship for their Cebu City to CDO route. Trans Asia 3. You can try it out for us and report back here.

http://www.transasiashipping.com/destinations/cagayan/cagayan.html

I just downloaded the superferry video and played it without problems.

It is not meant to be streamed if that is waht you are trying to do.

Here is the link, right click with your mouse and select "save target as"

http://www.philippin.../superferry.wmv

It is designed for playback with wimdows media player but works fine with my VLC media player.

Hi Jim

I tried numerous times to download your Hi Res version & it kept kicking me out as done at just over 3mb. I got the lo res ok. Good video - thanks.

Uzi.