Damn Airlines are Getting Crazy Anal

There comes a point though where it is ridiculous. My wife weighs her luggage before going to the airport. She flies American and their limit for international flights now is two check in bags 50 pounds each. They usually don't make a big deal out of it if one bag is a couple pounds over as long as the total is less than 100 pounds. This time she checked in and one bag was 51.5 and the other was 45. The check in person says "This bag is over so you will have to even them out or pay extra." So everyone in line behind her had to wait while she opened both bags on the floor in front of the counter and switched things around.

Me2. My wife I mean ;) 1.5 kilo over so she wore her packed overcoat and put my shoes in her pockets.

OK! then :scratch_head:

Eagle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tom_shor

• SkyMan

• EAGLE

• MattFromGA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find it somewhat surprising that some (I assume) normally intelligent individuals from a leading first world country seem to forget the realities of modern life when contemplating a trip to the Phil

I know we all get upset over the over the weight limit issue when we arrive at the airport and have to deal with that surprise. The problem comes from it happening at the airport when you're already

Posted Images

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Maybe the airlines should price their tickets based on distance traveled and total weight. For example, $1 per pound per mile traveled. When you check in at the airport, put the passenger and all their luggage on a scale and charge them accordingly. Taking it further, they could have frames to determine the size of a passenger similar to how they currently do for carry on bags. 'If you can't fit in this space, you'll be charged for 2 seats' type of thing. Anyone bigger than that can pay a surcharge that goes to their seatmates to compensate them for sitting next to a fatty for the entire flight.

oh man i would go to the airport just to watch people trying to squeeze through that frame

Athena

There comes a point though where it is ridiculous. My wife weighs her luggage before going to the airport. She flies American and their limit for international flights now is two check in bags 50 pounds each. They usually don't make a big deal out of it if one bag is a couple pounds over as long as the total is less than 100 pounds. This time she checked in and one bag was 51.5 and the other was 45. The check in person says "This bag is over so you will have to even them out or pay extra." So everyone in line behind her had to wait while she opened both bags on the floor in front of the counter and switched things around.

Me2. My wife I mean shit_stirrer.gif 1.5 kilo over so she wore her packed overcoat and put my shoes in her pockets.

OK! then notallthere.gif

Eagle

thats-funny.gif ............ resourceful woman ........ biggrin_01.gif

Athena

Me2. My wife I mean shit_stirrer.gif 1.5 kilo over so she wore her packed overcoat and put my shoes in her pockets.

OK! then notallthere.gif

Eagle

she should had worn your shoes to complete the protest ......... crack-up.gif

Edited by Elinel
RogerDuMond

Maybe the airlines should price their tickets based on distance traveled and total weight. For example, $1 per pound per mile traveled. When you check in at the airport, put the passenger and all their luggage on a scale and charge them accordingly. Taking it further, they could have frames to determine the size of a passenger similar to how they currently do for carry on bags. 'If you can't fit in this space, you'll be charged for 2 seats' type of thing. Anyone bigger than that can pay a surcharge that goes to their seatmates to compensate them for sitting next to a fatty for the entire flight.

So a 150 pound person with a 100 pounds of luggage flying 10,000 miles from Florida to Cebu would be charged $2,500,000?

I agree with the two seat charge for obese people. You aren't going to have to compensate the person next to them though. That person isn't going to be inconvenienced because the "fatty" is going to have two seats to spread out in.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

So a 150 pound person with a 100 pounds of luggage flying 10,000 miles from Florida to Cebu would be charged $2,500,000?

I agree with the two seat charge for obese people. You aren't going to have to compensate the person next to them though. That person isn't going to be inconvenienced because the "fatty" is going to have two seats to spread out in.

maybe we should delete this before the airlines get wind of the idea :)

OK! then notallthere.gif

Eagle

The problem with that is everytime U go thru Security,,, everything has to be pulled out and place in a basket, shoes, glasses, hats,handbags, belts, carry on's , it can be a lot of work with every pocket stuffed, and U still have to keep an eye on your wallet, watches, etc, because the guy behind you is pushing your stuff over to get his and leave, and the security could give a sh.t if your stuff is missing , not their problem, and you are trying to put your shoes back on... and lord help U if you are traveling with your wife and she expects U to watch her stuff too... :broden:

oh man i would go to the airport just to watch people trying to squeeze through that frame

Me too.....

OK! then notallthere.gif

Eagle

The problem with that is everytime U go thru Security,,, everything has to be pulled out and place in a basket, shoes, glasses, hats,handbags, belts, carry on's , it can be a lot of work with every pocket stuffed, and U still have to keep an eye on your wallet, watches, etc, because the guy behind you is pushing your stuff over to get his and leave, and the security could give a sh.t if your stuff is missing , not their problem, and you are trying to put your shoes back on... and lord help U if you are traveling with your wife and she expects U to watch her stuff too... :broden:

I went through Dubai just after 911 and first experienced the additional security, shoes/belt off, and my then GF was an addition so my "system" of checks was thrown.

My wallet was missing when we reached the departure gate.

Fly or search.???

We flew and on return went to Dubai Police office at the airport and I was greeted with "So you lost a wallet ? ---- is this it Tom XXXX"

My GF's £1200 ($2000) was still inside. !!! A month later!

Eagle Tom

Edited by EAGLE
booger10

OK! then notallthere.gif

Eagle

I went through Dubai just after 911 and first experienced the additional security, shoes/belt off, and my then GF was an addition so my "system" of checks was thrown.

My wallet was missing when we reached the departure gate.

Fly or search.???

We flew and on return went to Dubai Police office at the airport and I was greeted with "So you lost a wallet ? ---- is this it Tom XXXX"

My GF's £1200 ($2000) was still inside. !!! A month later!

Eagle Tom

I grab my stuff, plastic bin and all, sit it beside me to put on my shoes. Put the computer back in it's bag and all there. I know what you mean though.. seems everyone is in a rush and don't care whose things they push aside to get to theirs.... as theirs come out of the detector and you are waiting for someone to get theirs in front of yours. Lines to everything. I have seen maybe 100 or more just waiting to get to the security. It looks like the lines at a fast food place, ropes and all. Somehow I see Orwell...

That is amazing with your wallet. I lost my wallet between Lawton, Oklahoma and El Paso, Texas. Somewhere I got gas. Really crazy.. it came to me in the mail from a person in a little town on the way. And, all was there and intact, too.

Edited by booger10

My hubby always fly with Cathay Pacific LAX-CEBU he don't have any problem with the excess baggage and the service is real good and he was upgraded twice from CEBU-HONGKONG. :lol:

SkyMan

This is the exact situation I originally posted about. A couple pounds over and a couple pounds under and it's like you're trying to rob a bank or something. You have to go to the hassle of evening out the weights while everyone is held up and the end result is is the same amount of weight being on the plane so fuel costs are totally uneffected. I don't really believe the airlines have much concern for their workers backs either. If they did they would containerize the luggage but they don't because by loading the baggage loose they can cram more in and also take on additional cargo from other sources.

RogerDuMond

This is the exact situation I originally posted about. A couple pounds over and a couple pounds under and it's like you're trying to rob a bank or something. You have to go to the hassle of evening out the weights while everyone is held up and the end result is is the same amount of weight being on the plane so fuel costs are totally uneffected. I don't really believe the airlines have much concern for their workers backs either. If they did they would containerize the luggage but they don't because by loading the baggage loose they can cram more in and also take on additional cargo from other sources.

I agree with you totally. It appears to be motivated by money alone.

tom_shor

I wonder if my 100 lb wife could wear another 100 lb of of stuff in pockets? You know, wear a jacket and pants that have all those big bulky pockets and pack in the chocolates, books, underwear and other type things rather than putting it in check in.

She would only weight 200 lbs, which is still less than many other people on flights nowadays.

Yes ??? An overcoat, worn, with BULGING pockets is permitted.... :welcome: but I have been told my carry-on must not exceed 15pound???

UK Airline

Note: *You must be able to lift your cabin bag unaided into the overhead locker. You may take into the cabin one personal item such as a small handbag, purse, small briefcase, laptop (in a thin satchel) or baby-changing bag. Personal items are accepted at bmi's discretion.

So a weak old lady does what??? :cheers: OOo0Pss or weak OLD man :rolleyes:

Eagle === I ALWAYS cary a "BABY" changing BAG :oldtimer:

How about a 4 ft tall filipina? Elevator shoes?

If you are wearing it then it isn't carry on. :loser_1:

Flying sounds like entering The Twilight Zone. Glad I don't have to use the airlines anymore.