Damn Airlines are Getting Crazy Anal

Markham

I find it somewhat surprising that some (I assume) normally intelligent individuals from a leading first world country seem to forget the realities of modern life when contemplating a trip to the Philippines. They seem to forget that many airlines are struggling for survival and that at least one major US carrier is trading with Chapter 11 protection. They surely know that fuel costs ever increase as do landing and navigation fees, that workers do occasionally get pay rises and that shareholders do expect to be paid a dividend. And yet they demand an airfare that's cheaper than the cost of a cross-country Greyhound Bus ticket, the right to check-in as much baggage free of charge that you want and to take unlimited amounts of carry-ons.

Very few aircraft routinely use containers for baggage which are much easier to load and unload, therefore there is much more actual handling of bags. I very much doubt that many members would contemplate working as an airport baggage handler, eight hours a day, five or six days a week. Industrial injury caused by having to lift 50+lb bags is quite common and someone has to pay compensation. That, indirectly, is you the traveller.

I do share the frustration, expressed by one or two, caused by those travellers who insist on taking many bags onto an aircraft and stuffing the overhead bins: those selfish people wouldn't get away with it in Europe where there are now strict limits as to what can be carried onto an aircraft - both in size and in weight. Many "full-price" carriers are following the budget carriers' example of weighing and sizing carry-ons and forcing passengers to check-in anything that falls outside the limits.

In short, I on't think it's the airlines who are getting anal but rather some of their passengers.

Mark

• Like 2
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tom_shor

• SkyMan

• EAGLE

• MattFromGA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find it somewhat surprising that some (I assume) normally intelligent individuals from a leading first world country seem to forget the realities of modern life when contemplating a trip to the Phil

I know we all get upset over the over the weight limit issue when we arrive at the airport and have to deal with that surprise. The problem comes from it happening at the airport when you're already

Posted Images

tom_shor

Yes and be prepared to have TSA search all of your checked bags (and kindly rearrange all of your carefully packed items) and leave a surprise note for you inside. I recently went on a business trip and experienced this each time I arrived at my destination. I wonder what the TSA reps were thinking when the saw one of these inside?... :thumbsup:

You had two cute asian girls in your luggage? :)

tom_shor

I find it somewhat surprising that some (I assume) normally intelligent individuals from a leading first world country seem to forget the realities of modern life when contemplating a trip to the Philippines. They seem to forget that many airlines are struggling for survival and that at least one major US carrier is trading with Chapter 11 protection. They surely know that fuel costs ever increase as do landing and navigation fees, that workers do occasionally get pay rises and that shareholders do expect to be paid a dividend. And yet they demand an airfare that's cheaper than the cost of a cross-country Greyhound Bus ticket, the right to check-in as much baggage free of charge that you want and to take unlimited amounts of carry-ons.

Very few aircraft routinely use containers for baggage which are much easier to load and unload, therefore there is much more actual handling of bags. I very much doubt that many members would contemplate working as an airport baggage handler, eight hours a day, five or six days a week. Industrial injury caused by having to lift 50+lb bags is quite common and someone has to pay compensation. That, indirectly, is you the traveller.

I do share the frustration, expressed by one or two, caused by those travellers who insist on taking many bags onto an aircraft and stuffing the overhead bins: those selfish people wouldn't get away with it in Europe where there are now strict limits as to what can be carried onto an aircraft - both in size and in weight. Many "full-price" carriers are following the budget carriers' example of weighing and sizing carry-ons and forcing passengers to check-in anything that falls outside the limits.

In short, I on't think it's the airlines who are getting anal but rather some of their passengers.

Mark

I do look for the lowest fare I can find. Nothing wrong with that. They are the ones who set the fares. If the fare is too low then price it where it needs to be. Don't price it low then double the price with surprise fees. Sorry I consider that just basicly dishonest.

If your bags are overweight then you should pay the fee for it. I normally travel fairly light but if I go somewhere for more that a few days then I do usually need more than I can carry on. Very rarely anywhere close to the weight limit. I don't think I should have to pay extra for that. :thumbsup:

Mark

I do look for the lowest fare I can find. Nothing wrong with that. They are the ones who set the fares. If the fare is too low then price it where it needs to be. Don't price it low then double the price with surprise fees. Sorry I consider that just basicly dishonest.

If your bags are overweight then you should pay the fee for it. I normally travel fairly light but if I go somewhere for more that a few days then I do usually need more than I can carry on. Very rarely anywhere close to the weight limit. I don't think I should have to pay extra for that. :)

The Airlines are at WAR to win "Bums on Seats" and the Lowest advertised fare brings more Bums.! He He sorry - Bottom's.

Then they Squeeze every extra Centavo from a 'captive audience".

Looking at the "bottom line" fare used to be enough but in the present market one has to check for and count the cost of "Add On's" . :thumbsup:

Eagle Tom :oldtimer:

Edited by EAGLE
MattFromGA
Don't price it low then double the price with surprise fees.

It seems this is what customers want. Customers want to see a flight that should be selling for $2k priced at $999 when they are initially shopping for a ticket. The airlines do this more and more because when they do stuff like that, they sell more tickets.

Why should a person who takes nothing on a flight pay more than a person who brings an extra 100 lbs on board? The more people that bring the maximum allowed baggage, the more the entire system is impacted, from the person running the check in, to security checks, to baggage handling to customs processing. So the more baggage you have, the more expensive you are to fly from point A to point B. Not just in weight, but in physical processing.

The same is somewhat true of body weight. Its true that a 300 lbs man is going to be 150lbs heavier than a 150lb man. However, both men have the same physical processing impact on the system. Given the desire to have airlines charge the least amount possible for a ticket, they will eventually have to have a surcharge for a persons weight over a given amount. For example, an extra $1 for each pound over 150 lbs.

At first I was thinking it is unfair to charge extra for a few pounds of fat on my ass, but the more I think about the more I realize that my 100 lbs wife is subsidizing the real cost for another traveler who is 3x more weight than her.

The bottom line is that the actual cost to fly someone from point A to point B is different for almost every person and the airline was able to manage that in the past by having a fat profit margin. Now that competition and shifting prices have almost eliminated the profit, the airline must start adding fees to the travel that pushes the limits of servicing.

tom_shor

Mark

If your bags are overweight then you should pay the fee for it. I normally travel fairly light but if I go somewhere for more that a few days then I do usually need more than I can carry on. Very rarely anywhere close to the weight limit. I don't think I should have to pay extra for that. :)

The Airlines are at WAR to win "Bums on Seats" and the Lowest advertised fare brings more Bums.! He He sorry - Bottom's.

Then they Squeeze every extra Centavo from a 'captive audience".

Looking at the "bottom line" fare used to be enough but in the present market one has to check for and count the cost of "Add On's" . :thumbsup:

Eagle Tom :oldtimer:

Well I do look and if I count too many add ins they can count me gone. :oldtimer:

It seems this is what customers want. Customers want to see a flight that should be selling for $2k priced at $999 when they are initially shopping for a ticket. The airlines do this more and more because when they do stuff like that, they sell more tickets.

Why should a person who takes nothing on a flight pay more than a person who brings an extra 100 lbs on board? The more people that bring the maximum allowed baggage, the more the entire system is impacted, from the person running the check in, to security checks, to baggage handling to customs processing. So the more baggage you have, the more expensive you are to fly from point A to point B. Not just in weight, but in physical processing.

The same is somewhat true of body weight. Its true that a 300 lbs man is going to be 150lbs heavier than a 150lb man. However, both men have the same physical processing impact on the system. Given the desire to have airlines charge the least amount possible for a ticket, they will eventually have to have a surcharge for a persons weight over a given amount. For example, an extra $1 for each pound over 150 lbs.

At first I was thinking it is unfair to charge extra for a few pounds of fat on my ass, but the more I think about the more I realize that my 100 lbs wife is subsidizing the real cost for another traveler who is 3x more weight than her.

The bottom line is that the actual cost to fly someone from point A to point B is different for almost every person and the airline was able to manage that in the past by having a fat profit margin. Now that competition and shifting prices have almost eliminated the profit, the airline must start adding fees to the travel that pushes the limits of servicing.

I am 85 Kl. = 187pound. I got crammed between 2 - 250 pound guys out of DBX and it is not funny. LMTU

(let me tell U)

I was squashed and luckily I was able to change to another seat.

It would be harsh IMO to charge the fat guys extra if they can occupy a single seat but when they take 1/2 the next seat over as well as the one they paid for - what to do???.

The "unwritten" Airline rule is that the window and aisle seat occupants should allow the middle seat occupier the use of his seat arm rests. ? I could not sit back in the seat and the arm rests were covered with "oozing" Love handles - not mine...

I have been on a diet for 10 years since I first reached 85kg. 10 years ago. As I eat and drink whatever I like I can honestly say "MY diet" is not failing or working but I must try to loose a few pound and get back to my "fighting weight of 35 years ago -- 80kilo :) I will start to-morrow -- honest Injun!

Funny yes, Ha Ha, but for me.

Some people cannot loose weight no matter how hard they try. I won't comment on the others. :thumbsup:

So, as above, "What to do"??

Eagle Tom

lazydays

Not so long ago,some Airlines were considering charging large overweight people for 2 seats,if they could not comfortably sit on one seat with both armrests down.

I think we will hear more about this in the future.

MattFromGA

I wonder if my 100 lb wife could wear another 100 lb of of stuff in pockets? You know, wear a jacket and pants that have all those big bulky pockets and pack in the chocolates, books, underwear and other type things rather than putting it in check in.

She would only weight 200 lbs, which is still less than many other people on flights nowadays.

roaddog

I wonder if my 100 lb wife could wear another 100 lb of of stuff in pockets? You know, wear a jacket and pants that have all those big bulky pockets and pack in the chocolates, books, underwear and other type things rather than putting it in check in.

She would only weight 200 lbs, which is still less than many other people on flights nowadays.

I have been thinking about doing this myself. My old 4 pocket army jacket will amaze you when I start pulling the junk out at the end of the week. It amazes me anyway. A good place also to look for missing items.

RogerDuMond

There comes a point though where it is ridiculous. My wife weighs her luggage before going to the airport. She flies American and their limit for international flights now is two check in bags 50 pounds each. They usually don't make a big deal out of it if one bag is a couple pounds over as long as the total is less than 100 pounds. This time she checked in and one bag was 51.5 and the other was 45. The check in person says "This bag is over so you will have to even them out or pay extra." So everyone in line behind her had to wait while she opened both bags on the floor in front of the counter and switched things around.

The Mason

Maybe the airlines should price their tickets based on distance traveled and total weight. For example, $1 per pound per mile traveled. When you check in at the airport, put the passenger and all their luggage on a scale and charge them accordingly. Taking it further, they could have frames to determine the size of a passenger similar to how they currently do for carry on bags. 'If you can't fit in this space, you'll be charged for 2 seats' type of thing. Anyone bigger than that can pay a surcharge that goes to their seatmates to compensate them for sitting next to a fatty for the entire flight.

MattFromGA
Maybe the airlines should price their tickets based on distance traveled and total weight.

They are doing this now, but have to go on averages. The entire industry would be turned upside down if they tried to actually charge you the real price during the check in process. How would travel agencies work? How would you buy a ticket online? By paying for a ticket well in advance before the flight, they are assured that the seat is paid for. If they went by a reservation system only, they would have no idea if people would really show up and pay for their ticket. Even if they were to take a minimum payment and then charge the remainder at the check in, there is still opportunity for people not showing up to never pay the remainder. Also, travel agencies get a % of the total sale, so how would that work out. Ultimately, it becomes a logistics nightmare.

KennyF

Also, travel agencies get a % of the total sale.

I was told by my agent that Cebu Pacific no longer paid a commission to agents.

Maybe a member can clarify this.

KinAC

Yes ??? An overcoat, worn, with BULGING pockets is permitted.... ;) but I have been told my carry-on must not exceed 15pound???

UK Airline

Note: *You must be able to lift your cabin bag unaided into the overhead locker. You may take into the cabin one personal item such as a small handbag, purse, small briefcase, laptop (in a thin satchel) or baby-changing bag. Personal items are accepted at bmi's discretion.

So a weak old lady does what??? :scratch_head: OOo0Pss or weak OLD man :rolleyes:

Eagle === I ALWAYS cary a "BABY" changing BAG :oldtimer:

Edited by EAGLE