Damn Airlines are Getting Crazy Anal

KennyF

Yeah ok, I can see where 50 lbs would be fine but 52 lbs would probably kill someone.

Would you like to haul 50 lb around on wages?

I'm fecking sure i wouldn't.

KinAC

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tom_shor

• SkyMan

• EAGLE

• MattFromGA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find it somewhat surprising that some (I assume) normally intelligent individuals from a leading first world country seem to forget the realities of modern life when contemplating a trip to the Phil

I know we all get upset over the over the weight limit issue when we arrive at the airport and have to deal with that surprise. The problem comes from it happening at the airport when you're already

Posted Images

tom_shor

Is the "nothing over 50 lb" a union thing?

Maybe baggage handlers aren't allowed to lift over 50 lb.

KonAC

It used to be 70 they dropped it to 50 to save fuel. Not all the airlines charge for luggage. Next time just find one that doesn't charge. Vote with your feet guys if people stop putting up with their BS they will stop doing it.

tom_shor

I'm pretty sure the maximum weight limit (not allowance) per bag is 32kg (70lb).

For some airlines it is still 70. All of them used to be 70.

SkyMan

Yeah ok, I can see where 50 lbs would be fine but 52 lbs would probably kill someone.

Would you like to haul 50 lb around on wages?

I'm fecking sure i wouldn't.

KinAC

If I needed a job and that was the best job I could find I'd do it with a smile so I guess you're wrong. I wouldn't sit around and say, "Oooh, this bag is too heavy, I'm not lifting it." I'm sure the extra money from the excess baggage charges doesn't go to the baggage handlers anyway. Just into the airline profits.

Edited by SkyMan
SkyMan

I really hate checking bags. If it doesn't fit in my 22" rollaboard suitcase and laptop backpack, I don't need it. It doesn't matter if I am going on vacation for 3 days or 3 weeks.

If you can do it like that it's fine, but sometimes you see morons with 3, 4, 5 carry ons moving around the plane looking for spots to stick them in before someone else gets theirs in.

I can, somewhat, understand why the airlines now have lower limits.

I used to always fly into the Philippines with 170 pounds of luggage.

I would check-in two 70 pound balikbayan boxes and then have 30 pounds in

my carry-on.

Every Filipino flying LAX to Manila on PAL also seemed to be carrying the maximum.

Fuel costs have gotten higher so I am sure they have to cover their expenses.

I don't like it, but I understand.

A_Simple_Man

If I needed a job and that was the best job I could find I'd do it with a smile so I guess you're wrong. I wouldn't sit around and say, "Oooh, this bag is too heavy, I'm not lifting it." I'm sure the extra money from the excess baggage charges doesn't go to the baggage handlers anyway. Just into the airline profits.

Try doing it for 30 years. I guaran fecking T you'll say this bag is too heavy, follow the fecking weight limit. Of course there will be someone who goes over the limit, and every once in a while you'll be nice and put it on anyway. That's usually the day before you go to the Chiropractor.

Anyway, you have to remember I was a union rep and people who don't give a damn about the employees backs or health just piss me off.

Additionally, I bet they dropped it from 70 to 50 because there is always someone who figures if the limit is 70 then 99 is 'pretty close' and at 50 there is some room for special circumstances. And yes, there are guys who still do that job after 30 years, they never qualified in rocket science and the pay is pretty good.

Edited by Dave_Hounddriver

If you can do it like that it's fine, but sometimes you see morons with 3, 4, 5 carry ons moving around the plane looking for spots to stick them in before someone else gets theirs in.

Don't most airline have a 2 carry-on limit? It is usually 1 suitcase up to the size of a 22" rollaboard and 1 "personal item" backpack/laptop bag/briefcase/purse.

SkyMan

Don't most airline have a 2 carry-on limit? It is usually 1 suitcase up to the size of a 22" rollaboard and 1 "personal item" backpack/laptop bag/briefcase/purse.

Sure but the rule isn't enforced. Just like the no cell phone rule or the rule about not unbuckling before the seatbelt sign is turned off. Soon as the wheels touch, all you see is people reaching to turn on their phones and the clinking of seatbelts. I've seen people hauling lots of carry ons and even a guy in first class with about 7 raising a ruckus because there wasn;t room in the bins for all his stuff. "My company pays thousands so I can sit in first class and I damn well better have room for my carry on."

This is the true reality of this situation...with fuel prices rising and with such wild fluctuations at times, they are losing money. Fuel is a major cost for the airlines. Weight does affect the fuel efficiency of the aircraft. By charging passengers for baggaage, it is a way for airlines to makeup the losses and create more revenue without raising ticket prices.

tom_shor

This is the true reality of this situation...with fuel prices rising and with such wild fluctuations at times, they are losing money. Fuel is a major cost for the airlines. Weight does affect the fuel efficiency of the aircraft. By charging passengers for baggaage, it is a way for airlines to makeup the losses and create more revenue without raising ticket prices.

If you pay less for your ticket but then pay all these extra charges then what's the difference. Just raise the price and quit assumung I'm stupid and won't notice you tried to sneak one by. I won't fly on any airline that charges to check your luggage. If more people did that they would quit charging for it.

MattFromGA

I know we all get upset over the over the weight limit issue when we arrive at the airport and have to deal with that surprise. The problem comes from it happening at the airport when you're already on edge a bit trying to deal with other things like security procedures and other BS happening at the airport now.

Most of the airlines are struggling to survive. They can only loose money flying people for less money then it cost to fly them for so many years before it puts them out of business. We can thank the high fuel prices, overly zealous airline unions pushing for high salaries, and bad business decisions. Nobody can run a business perfectly, so the bad business decisions are going to happen for as long as humans are running the show.

The bottom line is that given the dynamics these days, the airlines need to have that "buy in price" be as low as possible. Rather than charging $2k to travel from the US to Cebu, they act like they can do it for $1400 or whatever. However, their profit margins are barely there at $1400, so they cant afford for anything to turn a small profit into a small loss. If you violate the rules, they look for an opportunity to charge more and I dont see much wrong with that (especially when I'm not at the airport right now with an over weight bag and an underweight bag). When they had $600 profit on a single ticket, they could let stuff like that fly without busting balls over it.

Airlines are in a tough business now that is for sure. People want to fly from the US to Cebu for $50, not be hassled about anything they do when they break the rules (running into the plane before your row is called; over weight check in, over sized carry on, etc.), and expect the flight to leave and arrive like clockwork 100% of the time.

If you want the better treatment and service, buy business class or first class. Better yet, charter a private jet. Otherwise, bring extra $$ for paying of over weight bags and be happy there are airlines still able to fly you from point A to point B.

• Like 1
lazydays

Better still fly light,i always do,saves much hassle.

It beggars belief the ammount of luggage some people take for only 3 weeks.

I usually get a grin from the staff "no baggage Sir", nope only carry on (3+months).

Any bulk goes Balikbayan box in advance.

Yes and be prepared to have TSA search all of your checked bags (and kindly rearrange all of your carefully packed items) and leave a surprise note for you inside. I recently went on a business trip and experienced this each time I arrived at my destination. I wonder what the TSA reps were thinking when the saw one of these inside?... :scratch_head:

post-3602-127621028844_thumb.jpg

lazydays

Yes and be prepared to have TSA search all of your checked bags (and kindly rearrange all of your carefully packed items) and leave a surprise note for you inside. I recently went on a business trip and experienced this each time I arrived at my destination. I wonder what the TSA reps were thinking when the saw one of these inside?... biggrin_01.gif

They probably thought you were a Zoo keeper,carrying Elephant Condoms crack-up.gifrofl.gif