Damn Airlines are Getting Crazy Anal

SkyMan

Currently in the US and heading back to Cebu tomorrow and I have to say that airline service has sure changed since my last trips. To start with, I'm leaving Manila on Delta and I know Delta allows 2 bags checked for overseas flights, each 50lbs. So I put my bags up to check them and the guy's like hold on, one at a time. I'm a bit confused but take one off and it's 48lbs and then I put up the second and it's like 53lbs, no big deal right? Never before has anyone given a rat about that, it's close enough right? Wrong he wants to charge me excess baggage. Great, so I take something out about a pound and weigh again, still no good. WTFO? I get 100lbs and there's 100lbs. Oh no, I have to transfer another couple pounds to the other bag. I believe the weight limit per bag is set to keep the plane from being overloaded and keeping the fuel costs down but how does it matter me having 48 and 52 lb bags as opposed to 2 50lb bags? I wrote it off as filipino robotic follow the letter of the law at all cost regardless of how silly it is crap.

Ok, so then I'm back in Ohio and decide to make a run to Florida for a couple weeks. I book a flight and go to the airport. I go to check my bag. Guess what, I don't get a single free checked bag and have to pay $25. WTFO? Why on earth are you encouraging people to carry on all their luggage? These people with 3 or 4 carryons really piss me off because they make everyone stand in line to load and unload and then they bang their baggage into people while trying to get to their seat. They should be charging $25 for every carry on item but they don't. I understand there are some business people going somewhere for a day or two who can take everything they need in a couple carry ons but I had a two week round trip so I think that warrants a free checked bag. I guess they still give 2 checked bags to international flights but I wonder how long that's going to last.

Anyway, just posting this as an fyi for those who haven't flown for a while.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tom_shor

• SkyMan

• EAGLE

• MattFromGA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find it somewhat surprising that some (I assume) normally intelligent individuals from a leading first world country seem to forget the realities of modern life when contemplating a trip to the Phil

I know we all get upset over the over the weight limit issue when we arrive at the airport and have to deal with that surprise. The problem comes from it happening at the airport when you're already

Posted Images

KennyF

Is the "nothing over 50 lb" a union thing?

Maybe baggage handlers aren't allowed to lift over 50 lb.

KonAC

KonAC

Maybe it

The post office limit was 70 pound bags for back reasons,that may be 50 pounds now also since humans are getting much bigger and weaker.

Replying to Damn Airlines are Getting Crazy Anal-

Skyman,did the airlines weigh your anus or something? lol

That is a big part of it. Airline unions have restrictions for it's members/workers, on how much they have to lift. I do believe 50lbs is the max.

I won't argue with that. I used to carry 50lbs X4 200lbs worth of concrete panels all day long, 25 years long to be exact. Where did it get me, 2 years ago, I had 5 disc removed and my total lower lumbar rebuilt, using a large piece of my right hip while doing so.

50lbs isn't and doesn't seem like alot, but when your picking up and tossing them bags all day for 8 hours, I'm sure it reeks havic with ones back and shoulders.

That reminds me, HONEY, I don't need that fifth long sleeve shirt you put in my bag....LOL

Ned

I'm pretty sure the maximum weight limit (not allowance) per bag is 32kg (70lb).

DeezNuz

Delta has become a real pain in the ass, even for those of us with millions of skymiles logged.

I just had to go through 2-months of deliberation with the Delta office here in Manila to get reimbursed for my baggage that was damaged. If this is how they treat a customer that's used them for almost four decades...geeze!

I flew from Bang-cock back to Cebu on Cebu Pacific recentlly. They charged me overage on my international flight from Bang-cock to Manila, then from Manila to Cebu, they tried to charge me for the overage once again claiming it was a domestiv flight policy.

....they tried.

Edited by BigRob

I really hate checking bags. If it doesn't fit in my 22" rollaboard suitcase and laptop backpack, I don't need it. It doesn't matter if I am going on vacation for 3 days or 3 weeks.

KonAC

No airlines are saying U have to hold your check-in bags to 50 lbs... they are saying that they charge extra for the lbs over 50. They (airlines) could care less about the employees having to move those bags...it is another way to rip another dollar out of your cold fisted hands... The airlines has turned into just another used car industry with more tricks and deceiptful practices to get every penny they can from their customers.

There was a move to charge for carry on bags too, but that hit the fan when congress started to investigate the charges here in the USA and the airlines dropped that practice. A lot of USA customers are shipping their bags to their destination and not giving the airlines the baggage money.

I think all domestic and international flights check-in baggage are now at 50 lbs. They used to be 70 pounds but the airline industry dropped the maximun weight 20 pounds, from 70 to 50 pounds.

JMHO

Edited by tim

I think all domestic and international flights check-in baggage are now at 50 lbs. They used to be 70 pounds but the airline industry dropped the maximun weight 20 pounds, from 70 to 50 pounds.

JMHO

Last time I flew Cebu Pacific on an international flight I was allowed to check-in only 15 kilos (33 pounds) total for both my bags.

Edited by donb2222
Markham

I'm pretty sure the maximum weight limit (not allowance) per bag is 32kg (70lb).

It used to be that but has now changed, certainly in Europe and, I believe, the US as well. The weight limit per bag on scheduled flights in and out of Europe is 23kg and any bag over 15kgs is supposed to have a "heavy bag" tag attached by the check-in staff. Many European airlines have adopted, or will be adopting, the "piece" system - which have existed for many years on international flights to and from the US - and coach class passengers now enjoy an additional 3kg allowance. Business class passengers will fare somewhat better with many airlines increasing the allowance from 30kgs per passenger to three bags at a maximum of 23kgs per bag.

The new allowances are not, as some suggest, a cynical attempt to part passengers with more money since, in real terms, the allowances have increased. They are, however, based on health and safety standards that have been agreed internationally.

Mark

It used to be that but has now changed, certainly in Europe and, I believe, the US as well. The weight limit per bag on scheduled flights in and out of Europe is 23kg and any bag over 15kgs is supposed to have a "heavy bag" tag attached by the check-in staff. Many European airlines have adopted, or will be adopting, the "piece" system - which have existed for many years on international flights to and from the US - and coach class passengers now enjoy an additional 3kg allowance. Business class passengers will fare somewhat better with many airlines increasing the allowance from 30kgs per passenger to three bags at a maximum of 23kgs per bag.

The new allowances are not, as some suggest, a cynical attempt to part passengers with more money since, in real terms, the allowances have increased. They are, however, based on health and safety standards that have been agreed internationally.

Mark

Looks like it varies depending on the airline. Qantas has a 23kg allowance for economy (pretty standard), but has a maximum limit per bag of 32kg (OH&S limit). When my wife, myself and (2) the kids fly, we usually only bring 3 bags. We've had I think 30kg for one of our bags flying Singapore Airlines(Syd-Mnl)...they put a "heavy bag" sticker on it.

Andrew

KennyF

Sensible and meaningful post buddy.

KinAC

China Airlines did the same to me when I flew to Manila. I think its another way that the airlines are nickle and diming us with anything they can get away with.

SkyMan

KonAC

Yeah ok, I can see where 50 lbs would be fine but 52 lbs would probably kill someone.

There was also the second part of my post about there not being any allowance for any bags on a domestic flight. Is that for safety too or another means of squeezing money out of passengers and encouraging them to fill the overhead compartments to the max annoying everyone on board.

Edited by SkyMan