Ten Benefits of Expatriation

There is a very profound saying-What reaches the top will find the bottom and what is at the bottom will reach the top.

I do not think for a moment that SteveMatrix is being unpatriotic or disrepectful at all but actually patriotic.By posting the OP my thoughts are that he is showing someones elses discomfort with whats happening in the USA and also around the world,he's offering a post for discussion.I do not see anywhere were he is talking about denouncing his citizenship..The unpatriotic ones are the ones who go through life blindly,seeing nothing,offering nothing.Just living on the past.Afraid to speak out.Just by saying a crisis will pass offfers no solution to the crisis.Too many americans are like this.The unpatriotic ones are the ones who express how great we are but blind to how we have exhausted everything on every level,polictical,environmental,education,economy you name it and now we are seeing that all the band aids have been used up.

Folks from The bottom-Is it not interesting how folks from 3rd world countrys can thrive in the USA taking on what americans reject wholeheartedly across the whole country.

Steve, do you think that is good advice? I think you should renounce your citizenship right away if you think so little of being an American citizen. Personally, I think that voluntarily giving up American citizenship is about the worst idea I have ever heard. There is a reason why people all over the world want to gain American citizenship. You obviously have no appreciation for what you have and the advantages that your citizenship gives you. When I was a child, I was told that, "where much is given, much is expected." Well, Americans are given a lot. There is no other people on Earth that has been so blessed in the last 200 years as the Americans. The crisis our country is in right now will pass, and when it does, those who jumped ship will be howling to get back in...just like the draft dodgers who fled during the Vietnam War. The US let those traitors back in (though I will never again respect the leaders who allowed that to happen), but I'm not so sure our government would be so tolerant and forgiving if the draft dodgers had actually renounced their citizenship.

Edited by ayala
  • Like 2
Alan S

Steve, do you think that is good advice? ...

Steve did say that it ws a copy from another website, rather than his own views.

Willie

Sympathetic to the OP although not an American myself..

(..which beckons the question...what the heck am I?)laugh.gif

Two points I want to make..

Regarding the national debt ,that applies to Eurozone debt too..

These debts will never be repaid..

Debts at a 100% of GDP getting paid?

Are you kidding me..?

These debts will be liquidated.

I wouldn't like to have money in the banks when this happens though..or be in the Army ..cough cough..

Second point..

There are many countries which will accept you as an immigrant..

Mostly in Central and South America..

The catch is that you have to marry a local woman..

This is the cheapskate's way and imho has less paperwork and hassle.

So the doors havent closed yet.

As said though I also believe that western govts will try to make it very difficult for people to escape the PC hellhole that the West is becoming.

U.S debt to rise to $19.6 trillion by 2015

U.S.

musicman666

Are you kidding me..?

I wouldn't like to have money in the banks when this happens though..or be in the Army ..cough cough..

Second point..

As said though I also believe that western govts will try to make it very difficult for people to escape the PC hellhole that the West is becoming.

U.S.

RogerDuMond

Second point..

The problem with that is, how are you going to get there without a passport? You can't travel in or out of a country that I know of without a passport. If you become a citizen of another country you will have given up all the benefits of the US and taken on whatever tax burden you have in another country.

SkyMan

There is a very profound saying-What reaches the top will find the bottom and what is at the bottom will reach the top.

I do not think for a moment that SteveMatrix is being unpatriotic or disrepectful at all but actually patriotic.By posting the OP my thoughts are that he is showing someones elses discomfort with whats happening in the USA and also around the world,he's offering a post for discussion.I do not see anywhere were he is talking about denouncing his citizenship..The unpatriotic ones are the ones who go through life blindly,seeing nothing,offering nothing.Just living on the past.Afraid to speak out.Just by saying a crisis will pass offfers no solution to the crisis.Too many americans are like this.The unpatriotic ones are the ones who express how great we are but blind to how we have exhausted everything on every level,polictical,environmental,education,economy you name it and now we are seeing that all the band aids have been used up.

Steve did say "and maybe take your own first steps to move to greener pastures. which does sound to me like he's promoting it though I don't see how expatriation makes your pasture greener. So I do think it's pretty odd you saying that he is being patriotic by promoting expatriation. Strikes me as an oxymoron. You say that saying the crisis will pass offers no solution is true. I would add that your saying that also offers no solution. Remember, a whiner is someone who points out problems without offering a solution.

Folks from The bottom-Is it not interesting how folks from 3rd world countrys can thrive in the USA taking on what americans reject wholeheartedly across the whole country.

Sounds like you're pushing the old justification for allowing illegals to stay in country because "they do jobs Americans won't" which is BS. The true statement should be "they do jobs Americans would do if they received a proper wage and benefits" but because the growers can get away with under paying them and giving them no benies because, hey, their illegal, Americans can't afford to do them. What would paying a decent wage cost the consumer? Maybe 2 or 3 cents a pound on tomatoes, etc.

SkyMan

Seems like the OOP's big beef is having to pay taxes in foreign income? If that's the case, then just don't pay the tax and don't go back to the US. If you expatriate and then make money in the US you still have to pay US taxes on it so you don't save anything that way. He also seems worried about the death tax but I think a couple million dollars are exempt from each estate so you have to be really loaded to be affected by it. If he's worried about having to pay death tax on property he inherits or something his heirs inherit and the property is in the US, expatriation won't save you. And as for the bit about not wanting to show a US passport, don't wave it around or get a 2nd citizenship and use that passport. But it's going to be pretty hard to pass off as not being an American no matter what your passport says.

Willie

Are you kidding me..?

Second point..

U.S.'s $13 Trillion Debt Poised to Overtake GDP: Chart of Day

willie i hate these curt "i know better than you type stuff posts" .. just say what you you want to say.. my brain hurts!

Just following up on comments on national debt. Not just Europe, but bad financial trends in US, very bad. Sorry, never did mean to ever suggest that I know better than you. And sorry for cryptic posts. Been peering over the brink a bit lately -- since I joined, really. I reread my intro post and realized that I mentioned my wife's illness back then. It's been tough, but more for her, although she's stronger. Anyway, often don't seem to have enough words for a sentence, -- although sometimes perhaps too many. Must find a better way to pass time than leaning on all you. Need to get out more. I'll do that now. Cheers!

Edited by Willie
Headshot

Steve, do you think that is good advice? ...

Steve did say that it ws a copy from another website, rather than his own views.

I didn't say these were his views. I merely asked if he thought the advice has merit. He obviously thinks it has enough merit to post here, but that doesn't necessarily mean he would actually be tempted to follow this advice. I want to know what he actually thinks about this thesis. Usually, when somebody posts a quote from another source that they disagree with, they will make that clear (along with crediting the quote). He didn

I am happy as hell to be an American citizen.

I am getting a Military Retirement pension, a Federal Civil Service Retirement pension and now just started to get Social Security monthly payments too.

I guess you would call that "Triple Dipping" ... all complements of "Uncle Sugar"!

And I'm happy as hell to have to pay Federal taxes on all of it.

Renounce my US citizenship? .... Not on your life!

Do I feel bad at the end of every month when Uncle Deep Pockets puts those checks in my account? ... Not at all

• Like 1
fanboat

I just hope that China will not buy up everything we own.

They make shitty bosses to work for

MattFromGA

The OP makes some solid and real points in the 10 point list. It is not possible to write a guide to cover everyone.

For someone like Turbota, who now takes from the system (after putting in for years), of course it would be ridiculous to give it all up. He isnt paying taxes anymore, or if he is, he still gets more out of the system now than what he is putting in. I dont know Turbota's story about why he would live in the Philippines if he is so patriotic to the US though.

The OP was obviously talking about someone who still has to produce something to generate income, and is also talking about someone who can do the production anywhere. Does the author actually have to state that someone who is chained to a physical location for a job at some company cant do those things? I hope this forum's members can see the obvious in that. For a person who has to stay in a given physical location in the US to work a job in order to generate income, they just have to take in the butt when their take home pay is 40% less than their gross (give or take dependent on writoffs).

It is also obvious that the OP wasnt suggesting becoming stateless. Its not a howto book, its a few paragraph post on the web. There are usually ways for a US citizen to get a 2nd citizenship. The how-to is specific to the individual.

In reality, the author probably wants to remain anonymous because he is outside the country, but still a US citizen who isnt filing their tax returns and trying to stay under the radar. They may have become a citizen of another country, but the tax burden remains for 10 years after you denounce your citizenship anyway.

Dont let the door hit you in the A?? on your way out...

Thanks! It didnt!

• Like 1

Steve did say "and maybe take your own first steps to move to greener pastures. which does sound to me like he's promoting it though I don't see how expatriation makes your pasture greener. So I do think it's pretty odd you saying that he is being patriotic by promoting expatriation. Strikes me as an oxymoron. You say that saying the crisis will pass offers no solution is true. I would add that your saying that also offers no solution. Remember, a whiner is someone who points out problems without offering a solution.

Sounds like you're pushing the old justification for allowing illegals to stay in country because "they do jobs Americans won't" which is BS. The true statement should be "they do jobs Americans would do if they received a proper wage and benefits" but because the growers can get away with under paying them and giving them no benies because, hey, their illegal, Americans can't afford to do them. What would paying a decent wage cost the consumer? Maybe 2 or 3 cents a pound on tomatoes, etc.

Actually skyman LOL,I was writing about legal immigrants.Not illegal(yes and so you do not have to go off on a tangent,I realize there are many illegals aliens.One example of legal-If you were to travel from florida to the canadian border and pull off anywhere along the way,you will find legal immigrants running every motel,gas station,mini mart etc.Another example of legal immigrant-nurses from countries like the philippines having to be imported because no kano obviously wants this good paying job.I can go on and on and on,its interesting how you determine your info in your replys LOL.Because I don't want you to have to go off on another half sided tangent,I will pass on answering the other part of your reply.

Edited by ayala
SkyMan

I am happy as hell to be an American citizen.

I am getting a Military Retirement pension, a Federal Civil Service Retirement pension and now just started to get Social Security monthly payments too.

I guess you would call that "Triple Dipping" ... all complements of "Uncle Sugar"!

And I'm happy as hell to have to pay Federal taxes on all of it.

Renounce my US citizenship? .... Not on your life!

Do I feel bad at the end of every month when Uncle Deep Pockets puts those checks in my account? ... Not at all

Glad to know an actual American is getting some of my SS payments. I have no realistic hope of seeing any of it come back to me so you might as well enjoy it.

I would only consider renouncing my citizenship if it were my only means of survival and I can't really think of a scenario where that would be the case. I live in the PI because I can afford to live much better here and because that is my right. I still love my country and will not sever my ties completely. If others want to that's their right too.

• Like 1