SkyMan
19 minutes ago, sierra01 said:

Will it still be free of duties and taxes if I send it?

I'm not going to say for certain on that. There are risks with BBBoxes.  They might not arrive at all.  It is possible that customs could take an interest in a container but I've never heard of anyone getting nailed.

19 minutes ago, sierra01 said:

I can have boxes sent to my GF's cousin, he used to work in the customs department  and still has friends there.

I would go with the gf and not draw any undo attention to your shipment.  I would probably send no more than 2 at a time if you can.  But I've sent 7 at once and no problems.  Others have sent more.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• smokey

• Cebuned

• tom_shor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jester

Keeping in mind that no matter what you send or who sends it or who receives it.  You are definitely, breaking a law, rule or custom  .

BB box contents add up to a noticeable amount of money.   We do not try to sneak anything valuable or important in the box's.   Have been sending for 13 years so far with no issues.   We do stick with LBC, in general they are more expensive.  But we have never had an issue so worth the extra money too us! 

Do not know how the virus is affecting shipping now??

Edited by Jester
  • Like 1
SkyMan

Another option you might consider is shippingcart.com.  They have air and sea rates and the sea rate is only a little more than a regular BBBox but you don't have to fill a whole box.  Delivery is to the door.  They are very strict on not sending restricted items.

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Another option you might consider is shippingcart.com.  They have air and sea rates and the sea rate is only a little more than a regular BBBox but you don't have to fill a whole box.  Delivery is to the door.  They are very strict on not sending restricted items.

I think BDO has a 15% discount promo with a credit card

• Like 1
sierra01

Do boxes have to be sent by a filipino to avoid taxes and what not?  I've  also read the boxes have to be sent to family, friends don't count.

From LBC's website it appears only Londoners can use their services, i think I'll need to contact them as I don't suppose  thats right.  Its a Filipino company so it might be lol

HongKongPhooey

My wife always sends the boxes from herself in HK to herself in the Philippines even though she isn’t there to collect it. I just assumed that was standard practice, i.e. put her as the sender. Not sure if that is a problem in the US or UK. 

Edited by HongKongPhooey
  • Like 1
sierra01

I'm  in the UK she's  in the Philippines so I dont think that would work

SkyMan
53 minutes ago, sierra01 said:

I'm  in the UK she's  in the Philippines so I dont think that would work

They take 1.5 months or more to arrive so it's not strange to send a box to yourself and be there well before it arrives.  No one checks to see if your ID matches the name you put on it anyway or if the person receiving is somehow related to whoever sent it.  They just want to get rid of the box so they aren't too particular who signs for it.  I've sent to myself in the past.  If you're having trouble finding a shipper near you, go to an asian market and most likely there will be a shipping kioske in the store.

Pack your boxes as tight as possible with lots of tape.  Assume the box will be on the bottom of the stack for a couple months.

• Like 2
liquido

I wonder what the delivery time now is during the pandemic from USA to the Cebu area?

Banacon

From Los Angeles, our 3 boxes arrived under 2 months to bohol.. July 2020

cookie47
On 8/4/2020 at 3:56 AM, sierra01 said:

I'd  like to send a couple of boxes to my GF in Mandaue, is it possible  to send them as Balikbayan boxes or is that only for Filipinos?

Next year, covid permitting, I'll  be retiring there, and will have household and personal stuff to ship.

I'm confused regarding regulations of sending the boxes, even a Filipino  friend isn't  100% certain.

There's not much to get confused about. 

IMHO

We've been sending 4 boxes a year for 20 years two mid year and 2 around October for Christmas arrival. Only one was suspected to have been tampered with, (customs or otherwise),,, otherwise never a problem. At first we were encouraged to list down "every item"(Knife, spoon, fork etc) but eventually that went out the window changed to "Personnel household goods".HOWEVER We've never sent anything of great value, Kids presents, clothes (wife's castoffs haa) Second had tools, Some western foods that were impossible to find 20 years ago. (Vegemite).. 

As far as the descriptive name is concerned. The receiver was always a Philippine NAME, SIL, but the sender has always been MR and Mrs David....... ( our Western married family name).THE transport company /agents who pick up don't  give a toss about who is a Philipina /Philipino, they just want the money and get it to the freight forwarder. However I do remember our agent in Australia about 5 years ago saying that Balakbayan boxes were going to be targeted by customs due to people sending non compliant items, but as far as I KNOW it never happened it was all bluster.. Anyway this is our experience, others might be different... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
to_dave007
13 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Pack your boxes as tight as possible with lots of tape.  Assume the box will be on the bottom of the stack for a couple months.

and assume it will get rained on in the back of delivery truck

• Like 1
BossHog
On 8/4/2020 at 8:27 AM, SkyMan said:
No one checks to see if your ID matches the name you put on it anyway or if the person receiving is somehow related to whoever sent it.  They just want to get rid of the box so they aren't too particular who signs for it. 

I've had very different experiences with Balikbayan boxes. They ALWAYS ask for you to stand next to the boxes holding up your ID and they then photograph you and the boxes and your ID. And I've shipped hundreds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan
28 minutes ago, BossHog said:

I've had very different experiences with Balikbayan boxes. They ALWAYS ask for you to stand next to the boxes holding up your ID and they then photograph you and the boxes and your ID. And I've shipped hundreds.

True, whoever signs for it has to have ID and gets a picture taken which you can later pull up on the tracking page to show who signed. But my experience has been that person doesn't have be the one the box was shipped to. I've signed for boxes sent to my wife as has our caretaker who isn't related. 

• Like 1
cookie47

I know nothing about this picture issue.

Pick up box from local Philippines sari sari store

Fill box, Fill in Address,

Call phone number

Box pickup, give signed papers and money

See ya....

Mind you this is Australia.....

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk