Sign in to follow this  
Alan S

Balikbayan boxes

gcurious

I've sent many BB from eastern North Carolina to Mindanao and a few to Cebu. Forex is a full-service, very reliable company with online tracking. Monlu was NOT too happy with. LBC has been very good....no problems with online tracking.

hypoman

We've used FOREX in the past for boxes from SYDNEY AUSTRALIA. We now use LBC.

Cebuned

I just came home from NYC,USA last night. I spent the day visiting some Phil-Am areas of the city, mostly in the Bronx, and then I crossed over the border into New Jersey, where in Jersey City,NJ., one can find a rather large Phil-Am community there also. My main vist was to Johnny Cargo, air and sea. I use them for there BB Boxes and have for 12 years now. Reason I went in person this time, was to strike up a deal, seeing Margie and I plan on sending between 20 and 25 boxes to Cebu, during the next 4 months.

I usually pay $5.00 USD per box, plus the $110.00 shipping fee to Cebu, with door to door delievery. I walked away with 25 FREE Boxes, and the reduced fee to $90.00 USD per box. Also, I can put the boxes together, to increase the size, like two side by side or two end to end, no limit on weight, up to 4 boxes together, and still being charged the $90 per box. So if we build a box, 4 boxes square, to ship some end tables, and pack all the empty space with smaller items, no weight limit and this would come to $360 USD....Can you say Harly Engine..hehehehehe

Anyways, all our boxes we have sent in the past, have been deliverd undamaged and usually anyware from 5 to 10 weeks. The big difference and hold up is this. All containers go to Manila first, main headquarters and warehouse of Johnny Cargo. Then then have to wait for enough cargo to fill a container to ship from Manila to Cebu. This also happens to those shipping boxes to areas like Davao and General Santos.

Overall, very nice people to deal with and for us, alot cheaper and easier than a shipping container, which I really wanted to ship in the begining of our plans. My only worry there, is no one can give you a start answer on what will happen to you and your container, when time to have it released in Cebu. One of two things, not so bad of a time, or a nightmare....With my luck, it would turn into a nightmare, so I opted for the BB Box route, and buy new in Cebu, what I can't ship from here, which really isn't alot. We want new bedroom sets and living room set anyways....

This is more for those shipping from the New England Region of the USA, than others.....If i can help in any way, just PM me..

Ned

tom_shor

I just came home from NYC,USA last night. I spent the day visiting some Phil-Am areas of the city, mostly in the Bronx, and then I crossed over the border into New Jersey, where in Jersey City,NJ., one can find a rather large Phil-Am community there also. My main vist was to Johnny Cargo, air and sea. I use them for there BB Boxes and have for 12 years now. Reason I went in person this time, was to strike up a deal, seeing Margie and I plan on sending between 20 and 25 boxes to Cebu, during the next 4 months.

I usually pay $5.00 USD per box, plus the $110.00 shipping fee to Cebu, with door to door delievery. I walked away with 25 FREE Boxes, and the reduced fee to $90.00 USD per box. Also, I can put the boxes together, to increase the size, like two side by side or two end to end, no limit on weight, up to 4 boxes together, and still being charged the $90 per box. So if we build a box, 4 boxes square, to ship some end tables, and pack all the empty space with smaller items, no weight limit and this would come to $360 USD....Can you say Harly Engine..hehehehehe

Anyways, all our boxes we have sent in the past, have been deliverd undamaged and usually anyware from 5 to 10 weeks. The big difference and hold up is this. All containers go to Manila first, main headquarters and warehouse of Johnny Cargo. Then then have to wait for enough cargo to fill a container to ship from Manila to Cebu. This also happens to those shipping boxes to areas like Davao and General Santos.

Overall, very nice people to deal with and for us, alot cheaper and easier than a shipping container, which I really wanted to ship in the begining of our plans. My only worry there, is no one can give you a start answer on what will happen to you and your container, when time to have it released in Cebu. One of two things, not so bad of a time, or a nightmare....With my luck, it would turn into a nightmare, so I opted for the BB Box route, and buy new in Cebu, what I can't ship from here, which really isn't alot. We want new bedroom sets and living room set anyways....

This is more for those shipping from the New England Region of the USA, than others.....If i can help in any way, just PM me..

Ned

Ned despite the fact there is no weight limit I would advise you not to make the boxes too heavy. Especially if they are large. In the warehouse they have a forklift but along the way especially at the delivery point there will probably only be one or two guys and no forklift.

It just increaces the chance it will be mishandled or dropped if it is too heavy.

broden

4 boxes put together

i could probably fit in there with a pillow or two a small igloo cooler and a few books maybe a little hand held video game too

people are always looking for cheap fares ya know

indiana

Does anyone know and have used a shipper of Balikbayan boxes in Central Illinois?

i would try Z-WAY or Zugbu both out of chicago and i have had good luck with both. call them (web) and see if they will pick up from you.i put anything i want in box and never a problem.. :)

Lee From Cebu

How big would 4 boxs stuck together be ?

Cebuned

Lee, not exactly, but roughly, a 4 foot X 4 foot square. That would be the rough dimensions of 4 boxes together, if cubed....

angelescitypi

Greetings all,

I'm new to the BB game. Can anyone give me some ideas on shipping from Seoul to Laguna?

Wombat No More

For the past two years, my Aunt (originally based out of Phoenix Arizona) has been using TNT door-to-door service to ship her Balikbayan boxes to her new house here in Cebu. She's been paying about USD $70-80 per box (36"X36"X36") with no wieght limitation. No import fees...door-to-door. Takes approximately 30-40days to arrive.

The funny thing is...she's shipped more than USD $6,400 worth of Balikbayan boxes here. She could of saved USD $3,000 just sending an entire container.

I guess you pay for the price of convenience.

She's probably still in front mate and not $3k down

The trouble with sending a container or your consignment in a container yourself, is that, from my experience, one needs to pay big time bikkies here at the receiving end that goes close to equalling your original cost in the country of origin.

When I moved here in 2003, I sent a pallet with 12 steel trunks of personal effects. It cost P28k in Oz to send it. I thought I just had to pick it up on arrival. No way Jose.

P18+k in fees and bribes to get it home from the port and 1 day (9 to 5pm) at customs for 14 signatures, each with a small amount of under the counter money to facilitate and the customs inspector wanted P10k before he would sign a release but the guy I brought along to smooth such bullshit out, got him down to P400. The customs agent helping me felt sorry for me and didn't want to charge me for her services but I paid her the fee. The next day was 4.5 hours at the customs warehouse picking it up which included a few thousand pesos more and a 3 hour wait for the warehouse manager to sign the last document. (He had just gone to lunch and took 3 hours to return).

And when I sent about 4 cub metres of stuff in a box, it cost me P24k to pick it up, after the P30+K to send it.

One has to be way in front in stress relief at least, in using Balikbayan boxes

• Like 1

mello874

From 1992 to 2001 sent many Boxes to other place in Mindanao, almost all Forex. Never lost any thing. Sent cloths ect. by LBC. From 2001 to present sent forex boxes here to Cebu. 2 Generators, Lots of power tools to build our house and make Furniture. No weight limit, also make sure you have steel bands around all.100% O.K.

tom_shor

If they are the regular ones probably about 20 cubic feet. Hard to be sure unless we know the size.

washingtonian88

4 boxes put together

i could probably fit in there with a pillow or two a small igloo cooler and a few books maybe a little hand held video game too

Is this really possible?

I wanted to send 2 cots... length is 40 inches (length is 40 inches, width 10 inches, height 24 inches), then maybe send a folding/collapsible steel laundry rack that is little shorter in length than those cots.

I know, I know, I can buy those items in Cebu.... but I am willing to pay extra to get these items to Cebu.

Can I really put 2 LBC boxes together, pay $110 to send to Cebu (promo $55/box currently)? Just put a hole in the middle..?

tom_shor

4 boxes put together

Is this really possible?

I wanted to send 2 cots... length is 40 inches (length is 40 inches, width 10 inches, height 24 inches), then maybe send a folding/collapsible steel laundry rack that is little shorter in length than those cots.

I know, I know, I can buy those items in Cebu.... but I am willing to pay extra to get these items to Cebu.

Can I really put 2 LBC boxes together, pay $110 to send to Cebu (promo $55/box currently)? Just put a hole in the middle..?

Most companys will let you send boxes of different sizes. Just ask them and what the cost would be.

Cebuned

4 boxes put together

Is this really possible?

Most companys will let you send boxes of different sizes. Just ask them and what the cost would be.

Yes it is possible, I just did it. Built an end to end (2 box) bb box. Loaded with items that are normaly to long to put in single box. One item was my magnizium Bull Float Head w/ handles...also my tripod legs, for my transit, for surveying... Boxes ended up weight of about 200 pounds. Very heavy! But they still held to their word and charged me the same as two seperate bb boxes. Total= $140 USD to our door in Cebu/Toledo City.

so far our box count is 16 bb boxes and the one double, so 18 bb boxes total. Margie and I just said today, only 3 or 4 more boxes needed....Thats it folks, we are on our way, and less than 6 full weeks to go now...YE HA!!!!!!!!!!