Sign in to follow this  
Alan S

Balikbayan boxes

JamesMusslewhite

We have used Forex to send the same size boxes from the east coast of the US. No weight limit. To the door out in the province. Never a problem. Even get a picture of the clan aroung the box about 4 months after shipping. Would recomend all day.

I agree, I have used several Balikbayan box services ove the last 20+ years and FOREX is the best I have used so far.

abw

We use Forex to send BB from here in Sydney to Silay/Bacolod. Have had no problems with them. Takes around 5 or 6 weeks and they ship weekly.

They do remittances, too.

Forex Australia

booger10

We use UMAC Express Cargo. They ship out of the Port of Miami. They charge $100 for a large box and small box combo.

UMAC is what I use to send too, just fill it up as much as you can. whew, hard to pick up. haha I just take it to the international food store and fill out the paperwork. I am filling a large and small box now. It took almost 3 months to get to Iligan City. $105 for the two.

EAGLE

One specific question, particularly aimed at those in the UK.

A pal tried to send, indeed still needs to send, a parcel containing oil.

( Heavy industral stuff, and not / barely inflammable. 1 litre, securely wrapped with a plastic container around the metal can, to prevent leaks.)

He has been told that they cannot and will not accept liquids in any form or quantity.

Comments?

Just rang "my" shipper in WR and been told oil IS classed as "combustible" :tinkerbell:

I can send whiskey but your oil is banned :rolleyes:

and "Containers are now scanned" I was informed. They accept shampoo & washing up liquid so how to distinguish oil IF scanned?? If me I would take a chance AND give ALL details on the declaration. ?? :oldtimer:

Just had a thought ! dangerous 4 me - describe as Cooking Oil ???

Edited by EAGLE

broden

One specific question, particularly aimed at those in the UK.

A pal tried to send, indeed still needs to send, a parcel containing oil.

( Heavy industral stuff, and not / barely inflammable. 1 litre, securely wrapped with a plastic container around the metal can, to prevent leaks.)

He has been told that they cannot and will not accept liquids in any form or quantity.

Comments?

Just rang "my" shipper in WR and been told oil IS classed as "combustible" :tinkerbell:

I can send whiskey but your oil is banned :rolleyes:

and "Containers are now scanned" I was informed.

If me I would take a chance AND give ALL details on the declaration. ?? :oldtimer:

or just put your oil in a whiskey bottle

DeezNuz

Use a few bottles of Maple Syrup...empty them out and fill them with your oil.

racir

Here in Dubai, I use Makati Express, Stargate Cargo and LBC, 25-30 days for Metro Cebu and 30-40 days anywhere in the province. :tinkerbell:

SkyMan

Never been asked to declare anything in my boxes. I use a shipper out of Columbus, only one in Ohio, and they don't use a set box size. The set price is $100 to Luzon, $110 to Visayas, and $120 to Mindanao. That price is good for a box up to 64, so 20 X 22 X 22 or 30 X 30 X 4 works. Over 64 inches it's $5 an inch. UHaul sells good boxes and even a double cardboard box about the right size.

Cebuned

For Margie and I, here in the State of Connecticut,USA., we use "Johnny Cargo". Every box we have ever sent has arrived in Cebu and delieverd to our residence and friends in Toledo City with no problem. Only thing I don't like, but can live with, is the fact that you never know just how long it will take to arrive here. I've seen as fast as 4weeks, up to almost 3 months....Cost Per box is $95.00 USD, no weight limit, and we recieve a free 20lb bag of rice for shipping with the store that works with them. GAK Filipno Store, small store owned by my wifes and I dear friend Gretal, who is also a full time nurse here. Her store carries all sorts of imported Filipno goods, we enjoy going there about once a month.

Ned

Kahuna

Does anyone know and have used a shipper of Balikbayan boxes in Central Illinois?

lazydays

The easy way to find out what is prohibited in BB box by the shippers,is to checkout website:

www.lbcexpress.com

Check the "Prohibited List".

Edited by lazydays

Nate

Never had a problem with FOREX during my time in Japan. Now that we're back stateside I will stick with them. I called and got a quote of $85 for a jumbo box from cali.

Alan S

The easy way to find out what is prohibited in BB box by the shippers,is to checkout website:

www.lbcexpress.com

Check the "Prohibited List".

Sadly, what I want to ship (or one of the items) IS on the prohibited list.

However, the MSDS says:

Health Hazards : Not classified as dangerous for supply or conveyance.

Safety Hazards : Not classified as flammable but will burn.

Environmental Hazards : Not classified as dangerous for the environment.

Flash point >580 degrees F.

TRANSPORT INFORMATION

US Department of Transportation Classification (49CFR)

This material is not subject to DOT regulations under 49 CFR Parts 171-180.

IMDG

This material is not classified as dangerous under IMDG regulations.

IATA (Country variations may apply)

This material is not classified as dangerous under IATA regulations.

So, IATA et al say it is OK, but the BB shippers wont take it.

NittanyLion

I'm using the same woman in CMH. She's picking up the box from my Mom's house tomorrow. The quote was $100 to Laguna. So, I appreciate you listing the cost she gave you. It's right in line.

I'll let you know how long it takes and if the box arrives OK. They said it would take 45 days.

Never been asked to declare anything in my boxes. I use a shipper out of Columbus, only one in Ohio, and they don't use a set box size. The set price is $100 to Luzon, $110 to Visayas, and $120 to Mindanao. That price is good for a box up to 64, so 20 X 22 X 22 or 30 X 30 X 4 works. Over 64 inches it's $5 an inch. UHaul sells good boxes and even a double cardboard box about the right size.

booger10

I covered everything with a nice soft towel, on the declaration I claimed clothing, toys, towels,candy. That is what I was told to say by the store. Talking to others there too, (customers) they said you do not need to be so detailed in items in the box. I did send electronics, clock, clothes, dvd's etc. Mine went to mindenao, Iligan City. Cost $45

post-6383-127624987433_thumb.jpg

Edited by booger10