Sign in to follow this  
Alan S

Balikbayan boxes

Alan S

This subject has been raised often over the years.

This thread is for details of BB senders in different countries and areas, and the specific services they offer and any limitations (I gather that it does vary.)

Please ONLY mention those that you know are operating and / or have used, (rather than information copied from othe rmessage boards).

DeezNuz

For the past two years, my Aunt (originally based out of Phoenix Arizona) has been using TNT door-to-door service to ship her Balikbayan boxes to her new house here in Cebu. She's been paying about USD $70-80 per box (36"X36"X36") with no wieght limitation. No import fees...door-to-door. Takes approximately 30-40days to arrive.

The funny thing is...she's shipped more than USD $6,400 worth of Balikbayan boxes here. She could of saved USD $3,000 just sending an entire container.

I guess you pay for the price of convenience.

Edited by BigRob

broden

anyone who's looking for a sender, at least in the states, and can't find one or would just like to shop around, head to your local asian stores and ask them many of them are also senders or they will likely be able to point you to one

• Like 1

smokey

The funny thing is...she's shipped more than USD $6,400 worth of Balikbayan boxes here. She could of saved USD $3,000 just sending an entire container. No import fees...door-to-door.

what size container ???? and does it go both ways... like if i wanted to ship from here to the US some large things..

DeezNuz

Sorry robert...my mistake...the no importation fees are on the TNT Express.

A 20 foot container can ship from Los Angeles, California for USD $2,800-3,500 depending on the freight-forwarder you use. Not including inland freight costs. THis is shipped directly to Cebu.

Depending on the contents, I've found typical house hold goods will cost about USD $1,000 in importation fees, document processing and land transportation within Metro Cebu City.

I was using that as an example because she could of fit close to 400 of those balikbayan boxes in one.

DeezNuz

Now if you want to utilize a freight-forwarder to ship stuff from here to anywhere else. I highly suggest, you work with a freight forwarder at the destination end. Espcially, in the case of USA imports. They would more than likely be partnered with the reputable shipping & logistics company here in Cebu/Phil. Meaning, less likely to get ripped off, or have your stuff inside dissappear.

Balintawak

or vise versa. You know bigrob, what the pinay wants she gets harrharr

redman69

We have used Forex to send the same size boxes from the east coast of the US. No weight limit. To the door out in the province. Never a problem. Even get a picture of the clan aroung the box about 4 months after shipping. Would recomend all day.

toshi

i am getting the boxes from holland trough ''phil for you'' cost 99 euro's each door to door (70x42x54)

3 boxes = 250 euro's or something

(very reliable till now, but it takes about 60 days)

from the states we pay about 70-80 dollar per box(from seatlle) don't know from whom

tom_shor

I have been shipping about 12 years for REN Cargo form the Phoenix Tucson area.

RogerDuMond

We use UMAC Express Cargo. They ship out of the Port of Miami. They charge $100 for a large box and small box combo.

lazydays

UK.

www.balikbayan-box.co.uk

owned and operated by Brit/Filipinos.

Edited by lazydays

Cary

I used Manilaforwarders and all of the boxes arrived intact about a month later.

• Like 1

Alan S

One specific question, particularly aimed at those in the UK.

A pal tried to send, indeed still needs to send, a parcel containing oil.

( Heavy industral stuff, and not / barely inflammable. 1 litre, securely wrapped with a plastic container around the metal can, to prevent leaks.)

He has been told that they cannot and will not accept liquids in any form or quantity.

Comments?