Current opinion on return ticket

I am coming to cebu hopefully sometime next month from Uk and expecting the 21 day tourist visa.

However i am planning to extend, get married and stay permanently.

It seems a real waste to buy a return ticket for a flight within a 21 day period!

So from the vast experience on this site

(a) Is an exit ticket actually required to achieve the first extension?

(b) If the general opinion is that it is necessary, what is the cheapest exit destination out of the country from Mactan International?

Any other sensible solutions or suggestions welcomr!

Edited by Admin
disabled emoticons - Paul
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• SkyMan

• sensei

• RogerDuMond

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You don't need a return ticket.   Just buy the cheapest one way ticket to anywhere.

"They" being the "worthy cause" no doubt. If "they" can't afford the $20 to stay legal, then "they" shouldn't be travelling and staying in a foreign country.       Mark

ancienrocka

You will not be asked for a return ticket at any extension at the BoI, however you will probably not be allowed to board your flight in the UK unless you have a return ticket.

SkyMan

An exit ticket is not required to get an extension, HOWEVER, you may be denied boarding by your airline or you may be denied entry on arrival by immigration. Not a good gamble. If denied entry your airline will be responsible for flying you home and I'm sure they will want repayment from you. At minimum I would have a cheap ticket from Clark or somewhere to Macau or HK or whatever. You can buy a cheap ticket and throw it away after entry or you can pay extra for a refundable ticket and go through the hassle of trying to recoup your fare. It doesn't matter that you're coming to Cebu, your exit ticket can be from anywhere because they have no way of knowing how you might get to Manila or Clark. I think Tiger Air still has some cheap seats out of Clark. Another option is that you buy a r/t ticket. You may find a r/t isn't much more than a 1way. You can make the return out a long way, like maybe 10 months. Maybe you'll use it and maybe you won't.

I would also suggest that if you have time you get a 59 day visa in your passport before you come so you can save a few pesos and skip the extension at 21 days. This can be done by mail through your nearest Philippine Embassy. You're still supposed to have an exit ticket even with that visa but I have never been asked to produce one when I was travelling on that visa.

Edited by SkyMan
easy44

1. Yes, "onward" ticket is required but usually checked by the airline flying you to the Philippines, not Immigration. If you don't have one they won't let you board.

2. Check:

http://www.airasia.com/

http://www.tigerairways.com/

for cheap ongoing flights to Malaysia or Indonesia. The tickets are cheap enough that you can book one and then just discard after it has served it's purpose.

A_Simple_Man

I'm not sure why it matters that you want the cheapest international ticket from MACTAN as any exit ticket works, but I bet no one here has seen a cheaper one than Cebu Pacific, Mactan to Hong Kong which I bought last time I came. It was a seat sale but it shows you what is available if you really search.

Confirmation Number T6D6VP

Booking Date Fri May 15, 2009

Status CONFIRMED

Guest Name(s) MR DAVID A LIGHTFOOT

Address CATARMAN, LILOAN CEBU 6002 PH

Contact Number(s) 639296474913(telephone)

639296474913(mobile)

flights.gif5J 236 l CEBU-HONGKONG l Tuesday, Sep 15, 2009 l Depart 1700H Arrive 1935H«»

payment.gifDate Friday, May 15, 2009 Payment Type VI (CONFIRMED) Transaction ID No. 56919104 Payment Amount 634.00 PHP …… Base Fare 799.00 PHP …… Taxes & Fees

:NBAG (200.00) PHP …… Total 634.00 PHP

Edited by Dave_Hounddriver
Turbota

TIP ....

Lots of folks just keep using there original onward ticket.

Buy the ticket online. They will email you an "electronic ticket" with a confirmation number, itenerary, dates, flight number, etc, ect. That is what you would normally take to the terminal and show to the ticket counter in order to get your boarding pass.

Well, the onward ticket they email you can be used as many times as you like ... just change the date information on it and re-print it anytime you need another onward ticket.

See ... all you ever need to do is buy just 1 "throw-away" onward ticket ... just don't thow it away!

No .... the airline that want's to see your onward ticket in order to board a flight to the PI won't call the airline that the onward ticket was issued from ... Jut don't board a flight on the same airlines as the one that issued your "re-useable" onward ticket.

Edited by Turbota

Never thought of that! Seems like a perfect solution. I just wonder if making this public spells the beginning of the end though. You never know who peruses these pages...

udonthani

TIP ....

Buy the ticket online. They will email you an "electronic ticket" with a confirmation number, itenerary, dates, flight number, etc, ect. That is what you would normally take to the terminal and show to the ticket counter in order to get your boarding pass.

Well, the onward ticket they email you can be used as many times as you like ... just change the date information on it and re-print it anytime you need another onward ticket.

See ... all you ever need to do is buy just 1 "throw-away" onward ticket ... just don't thow it away!

No .... the airline that want's to see your onward ticket in order to board a flight to the PI won't call the airline that the onward ticket was issued from ... Jut don't board a flight on the same airlines as the one that issued your "re-useable" onward ticket.

there's always some smart ass on travel forums that counsels committing an offence, i.e. doctoring an e-ticket, to get themselves out of paying $20 or $30 for an onward ticket.

one wonders how they would like it if some Nigerian scam artist tried it on in their own country doing something like that, fraudently seeking to evade immigration laws, but whitey usually thinks a different set of conventions apply to them and that they'll be able to get away with it. When a Nigerian does it in the US, they're a fraudster that needs to get pulled up for it. When it's whitey in the Philippines, it's something they are in some way entitled to do.

airlines and immigration will be on to this one, make no mistake about that. People are quick enough to crow on web forums about how easy it was for them to fake a ticket and beat the system, but you can be sure they'll be a lot less likely to come on a web forum and say they got picked up for faking the ticket by the airline or immigration.

OP : every time I've come to any country in the region, and there's a few, not just the Philippines, that have onward ticket requirements, the airline has always been satisfied when the onward ticket has been outside the 21 day period, in Philippines and Indonesia's case, 30 days in the case of Thailand, or 90 days in the case of Malaysia.

loosehead

Aussie airlines check for the onward ticket and will not allow you to fly withput one. Buy an onward to HK. You may have to pay more than Dave but I suggest you use it and take your girlfriend there for a few days. You will learn a lot about your relationship hanging out together in Hongkers away from the Philippine influences.

RogerDuMond

Never thought of that! Seems like a perfect solution. I just wonder if making this public spells the beginning of the end though. You never know who peruses these pages...

Perfect solution? It is a way to break the law of the Philippines. If caught you could be black listed and never allowed entry to the Philippines again.

How refreshing to see such shining beacons of goodness and integrity in this ocean of dishonesty and corruption in which we live.

Turbota

I was just letting you folks know how many people get around the requirement to buy a new "throw away" ticket every time you fly into the Philippines.

For me, I could give a shit what you do.

As for myself, I have a 13a visa so I have no need to buy any onward tickets.

For all you folks that are so fecking concerned about breaking the law ... Hey, do what you want ... In fact, buy an expensive onward ticket to lets say someplace like Paris or Madrid. Make it 1st class while your at it.

SkyMan

TIP ....

there's always some smart ass on travel forums that counsels committing an offence, i.e. doctoring an e-ticket, to get themselves out of paying $20 or $30 for an onward ticket.

one wonders how they would like it if some Nigerian scam artist tried it on in their own country doing something like that, fraudently seeking to evade immigration laws, but whitey usually thinks a different set of conventions apply to them and that they'll be able to get away with it. When a Nigerian does it in the US, they're a fraudster that needs to get pulled up for it. When it's whitey in the Philippines, it's something they are in some way entitled to do.

airlines and immigration will be on to this one, make no mistake about that. People are quick enough to crow on web forums about how easy it was for them to fake a ticket and beat the system, but you can be sure they'll be a lot less likely to come on a web forum and say they got picked up for faking the ticket by the airline or immigration.

OP : every time I've come to any country in the region, and there's a few, not just the Philippines, that have onward ticket requirements, the airline has always been satisfied when the onward ticket has been outside the 21 day period, in Philippines and Indonesia's case, 30 days in the case of Thailand, or 90 days in the case of Malaysia.

Not sure where race suddenly became an issue in this thread but I believe racial slurs are grounds for banning.

As for the advice given, it's up to the reader to determine whether they want to fallow it or not. If they take it and have problems, a defense of "I read it on the internet" isn't going to fly. And I think everyone here knows that.

I also kind of find it laughable to discuss the possibility of immigration laws being skirted in a country that has thousands of illegals pouring over its southern border daily. So, yeah, I think it's OK to dodge a silly requirement to buy a $20 exit ticket that neither I not immigration believes is ever going to be used.

I was just letting you folks know how many people get around the requirement to buy a new "throw away" ticket every time you fly into the Philippines.

For me, I could give a shit what you do.

As for myself, I have a 13a visa so I have no need to buy any onward tickets.

For all you folks that are so fecking concerned about breaking the law ... Hey, do what you want ... In fact, buy an expensive onward ticket to lets say someplace like Paris or Madrid. Make it 1st class while your at it.

Thanks for the valuable info, don't mind the negative comments. You were just sharing the info without any harm meant...some people just don't get it. please keep posting. I had only got the idea to buy a cheap return ticket from this post, for the last two trips i been buying return tickets for 15000 pesos, which went waste.

Never thought onward cheap ticket could work. only through this forum and sharing i got this info.