Open to advice on marketing my dating site

poby

Back in January I purchased a well known dating site that specializes in filipina/foreigner relationships. Spent 3 months rewriting over 30,000 lines of code to fix some bugs in the original cookie cutter template. Pages load around 5 times faster now and I've removed the dishonest aspects that are unfortunately common to many dating sites - artificially inflating online members to make it seem busier than it is, etc.

Anyway, since going live with the new code at the start of May and doing some basic SEO, traffic has doubled and it's doing well but what I really need to turbo charge it, is an influx of new ladies. Currently gets around 10 girls joining per day and I'd like to double or triple that.

Premium membership is free for anyone with a philippines ip. Now I'm happy to pay 10 pesos for each member that joins who is female, 18 to 30 and most importantly includes at least one picture. But it must be real people actually interested in meeting new friends or lovers, relationships etc. I don't want any gals to join unless they are going to come back. I won't be party to anything dishonest or misleading.

So given the above, I would very much welcome suggestions bearing in mind my afore mentioned marketing budget. I do have an affiliate system but traffic from that is inconsequential.

The best I've come up with so far is maybe getting some flyers printed and having them handed out but I'm hoping there's better ways.

Oh and by the way it is NOT a "mail order bride" kind of site. Such is illegal here. The name of the site is irrelevant and I won't be mentioning it (if you really want to know, pm me). I'm not trying to drum up business here but as that great philosopher dirty harry says, "a man's got to know his limitations". Sales and marketing is not my area. But I know it's not enough to "build it and they will come". I'm hoping for some good advice on how to get the word out.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• poby

• KennyF

• D_D

• DeezNuz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks dude! It was meant to be a joke. I thought the emoticons I placed in my post would give it away but I think not. I am sorry Dave I will try my best to make my jokes obvious next time.

How easy it is to cry discrimination when one is not included in the target group. The poster seems to be providing a service to those who want to chat with girls of a specific age and type. Is that m

Not that I'm trying to   But, just because you word a product the way you want it to be perceived doesnt mean the government will agree with you. If someone from the government decides that a giv

DeezNuz

Damn dude...and you are running a bar to boot!

You rock on!

KennyF

Dave, I think the girls will go where the guys are so it might pay to do what Date In Asia did and start with six months free gold membership for everyone. (DIA later decided to continue with free membership, probably because they receive a lot of "pay per click" on the adverts.)

DIA also inflate the on line numbers by simply delaying log off for up to one hour.

If you could get a Google advert on DIA I think you would get a lot of the girls but "pay per click" could be expensive.

Please PM me the name, I'd like to look.

Kenny in Angeles City (AKA: Kenny on Camiguin)

poby

Dave, I think the girls will go where the guys are so it might pay to do what Date In Asia did and start with six months free gold membership for everyone. (DIA later decided to continue with free membership, probably because they receive a lot of "pay per click" on the adverts.)

DIA also inflate the on line numbers by simply delaying log off for up to one hour.

If you could get a Google advert on DIA I think you would get a lot of the girls but "pay per click" could be expensive.

It makes a few hundred dollars a month on the small membership dues and I'm loathe to give that up. There's actually more guys than girls and I think with more young ladies, more guys would join. At this stage I'm not doing any paid ads but might later. I'm a minnow compared to DIA but one member told me they like it better than DIA cos DIA doesn't have the instant chat feature.

Other than putting up $40 for joeant.com directory listing, I haven't spent a cent on SEO or marketing; I'm wary of the large numbers of shysters in the SEO industry and don't want to risk my current respectable search engine rankings. The first stage - recoding the entire site is finished, now I want to boost female numbers so when guys arrive, they stick around. Gets around 150 new members a week but of that, only about 60 to 70 are female. Once I'm satisfied there's enough new ovaries arriving daily, I will focus more on improving my search rankings. I'm happy to pay 10 pesos for each qualified new female member which is better than any other site I'm aware of; the only problem is how to get the word out.

I'm satisfied with progress so far, this month it moved from 9-11 to 6-8 on google for the most important search keywords. Traffic is up almost double. But I know if I could crack the top 3, traffic would triple. I'm not ready to spend yet on SEO services but once I'm satisfied I've done all I can do offline, then I'll be looking for a solid white hat seo service that can deliver.

Caveat Emptor

I am tempted to join your dating site poby but you discriminated me because of my age. :scratch_head::welcome:

A_Simple_Man

I am tempted to join your dating site poby but you discriminated me because of my age. :scratch_head::welcome:

How easy it is to cry discrimination when one is not included in the target group. The poster seems to be providing a service to those who want to chat with girls of a specific age and type. Is that more discriminating than an employer who demands the same qualifications? It does not seem to be the case in the Philippines but I put it in the form of a question, Caveat Emptor, because I read that you have a background in Philippine law.

KennyF

I'm satisfied with progress so far, this month it moved from 9-11 to 6-8 on google for the most important search keywords. Traffic is up almost double. But I know if I could crack the top 3, traffic would triple. I'm not ready to spend yet on SEO services but once I'm satisfied I've done all I can do offline, then I'll be looking for a solid white hat seo service that can deliver.

There is no doubt that Date In Asia did it right.

There might be a little BS in there but there are also facts like in 18 months.....

I have received 20670 messages.

I have received 867 expressions of interest.

6,190 girls have gone to the trouble of viewing my profile.

You are on the right track with online chat.

One of the first things girls say is "What's your YM".

KinAC

DeezNuz

Why kind of budget were you planning for the campaign poby?

What is your target demographic?

Pody

U can get free advertising by posting on craiglist.

There are several cities listed in the Philippines, post on each once a week. U might find some girls that will post on your site from posting on craiglist.

www.craiglist.com

Bet_Busta

How easy it is to cry discrimination when one is not included in the target group. The poster seems to be providing a service to those who want to chat with girls of a specific age and type. Is that more discriminating than an employer who demands the same qualifications? It does not seem to be the case in the Philippines but I put it in the form of a question, Caveat Emptor, because I read that you have a background in Philippine law.

I find Caveat Emptor's post a joke.... not a complaint....

smokey

It makes a few hundred dollars a month on the small membership dues and I'm loathe to give that up. There's actually more guys than girls and I think with more young ladies, more guys would join. At this stage I'm not doing any paid ads but might later. I'm a minnow compared to DIA but one member told me they like it better than DIA cos DIA doesn't have the instant chat feature.

Other than putting up $40 for joeant.com directory listing, I haven't spent a cent on SEO or marketing; I'm wary of the large numbers of shysters in the SEO industry and don't want to risk my current respectable search engine rankings. The first stage - recoding the entire site is finished, now I want to boost female numbers so when guys arrive, they stick around. Gets around 150 new members a week but of that, only about 60 to 70 are female. Once I'm satisfied there's enough new ovaries arriving daily, I will focus more on improving my search rankings. I'm happy to pay 10 pesos for each qualified new female member which is better than any other site I'm aware of; the only problem is how to get the word out.

hey poby while i am not on your christmas card list i do hope you sucess with your venture

johnormoc

Just my opinion but I wouldn't pay for ladies to join. The odds that you get actual people who will contribute to your is kind of nil. Most likely you'll be getting a lot of unethical people joining with numerous different profiles/pics just for the P10 and they will never return to the site. You'll probably have a lot of Pinoys doing the same thing pretending to be ladies just for the pesos.

Better to just let word of mouth take it's course and maybe throw an ad banner on DIA.

• Like 1
Caveat Emptor

I am tempted to join your dating site poby but you discriminated me because of my age. :scratch_head::drink:

I find Caveat Emptor's post a joke.... not a complaint....

Thanks dude! It was meant to be a joke. I thought the emoticons I placed in my post would give it away but I think not. I am sorry Dave I will try my best to make my jokes obvious next time. :banghead:

• Like 3
poby

Pody

U can get free advertising by posting on craiglist.

There are several cities listed in the Philippines, post on each once a week. U might find some girls that will post on your site from posting on craiglist.

www.craiglist.com

This sounds like a good idea! Will use it.

Caveat Emptor: I want more female members but the 18 to 30 demographic is the most popular amongst the male demographic hence my preparedness to pay.

Why kind of budget were you planning for the campaign poby?

What is your target demographic?

Well, up to a thousand dollars but hoping much less. I want to get the site better stuffed with gals with pics demographic before spending money on bringing in the foreigner demographic. There's 2 types of foreigner, those that live here, who get premium membership for free so I only make money on the google ads and overseas members who have limited membership unless they pay a small fee. In some ways, it's the local girls that is the toughest nut to crack as they are less likely to arrive from a google search and more likely to come from word of mouth and offline advertising. I've thought of getting a human walking billboard and getting someone to walk around with it but hoping to do better.

ey poby while i am not on your christmas card list i do hope you sucess with your venture

Appreciate it Robert. We don't see eye to eye on much but I never hold grudges just because I disagree with another's p.o.v.

ust my opinion but I wouldn't pay for ladies to join. The odds that you get actual people who will contribute to your is kind of nil. Most likely you'll be getting a lot of unethical people joining with numerous different profiles/pics just for the P10 and they will never return to the site. You'll probably have a lot of Pinoys doing the same thing pretending to be ladies just for the pesos.

Better to just let word of mouth take it's course and maybe throw an ad banner on DIA.

I'm mindful of possible scamming opportunities. Will only pay in person to someone who can be identified from their profile pic to be one and the same. I figure that if a gal goes to the trouble of making a profile with a pic, they will probably come back anyway. Also, being prepared to pay up to 10 pesos per, doesn't mean it has to be to the gal. e.g. If there was a marketing idea that cost a thousand pesos but likely to bring in 100 new members in the target demographic, that would interest me.