Just Released from the Police Station

MattFromGA

BBQ Joe, according to the original post, the woman and the store clerk were also detained at the guard room and the police station for the same amount of time as him.

The law wasnt written for white guys, and even the OP who has been here for 12 years has never heard of this law until now.

Are you telling me you havent read any stories of crazy laws in your home country?

It reminds me of a story I read about a woman getting arrested for selling sex toys in Texas. She was having home selling parties similar to selling Amway or Tubaware. The police actually setup a sting operation to get her to sell to an undercover cop. All that manpower and tax payer money spent to stop a woman from selling sex toys to people that wanted to buy them in the privacy of their own home. In fact, if you are driving through texas with a sex toy like that, and it is found in the car by the cop, there is a chance you will be taken into custody. Is that type of thing any worse that what the OP went through?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DeezNuz

• NittanyLion

• MattFromGA

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Cultural differences between East and West are very real and not to be taken lightly. It is in our own interest that we research and learn about the culture. "Loss of face"needs to be taken very

Unjust vexation sounds a lot like marriage.       .

I doubt this law is applied every day. In all my time here, I have not heard of this being applied to anyone before. Of course that doesnt mean it hasnt been applied before, but I've never heard of

NittanyLion

BBQ Joe, according to the original post, the woman and the store clerk were also detained at the guard room and the police station for the same amount of time as him.

The law wasnt written for white guys, and even the OP who has been here for 12 years has never heard of this law until now.

Are you telling me you havent read any stories of crazy laws in your home country?

It reminds me of a story I read about a woman getting arrested for selling sex toys in Texas. She was having home selling parties similar to selling Amway or Tubaware. The police actually setup a sting operation to get her to sell to an undercover cop. All that manpower and tax payer money spent to stop a woman from selling sex toys to people that wanted to buy them in the privacy of their own home. In fact, if you are driving through texas with a sex toy like that, and it is found in the car by the cop, there is a chance you will be taken into custody. Is that type of thing any worse that what the OP went through?

Apples and oranges my man...no comparison between the two. It's not a point of crazy laws. It's about having no rights...it's about discrimination...it's about...ah what's the point.

Edited by NittanyLion
Bob Ward

I doubt this law is applied every day. In all my time here, I have not heard of this being applied to anyone before. Of course that doesnt mean it hasnt been applied before, but I've never heard of it and a quick search on this forum shows that this is the first time it has ever been mentioned here as well.

We all know what is going on. And I ask myself how to avoid this. Sounds like staying in hotels and moving around is the way to go.

So that quote is just plain paranoia. Show me a country that hasnt had the odd ball detainment for some law that seems too crazy to be true.

I bet 99 out of 100 times the same exact scenario could occur and nothing would come of it. I read on another Philippine blog about this old western guy that freaks out on the staff of places all the time. The Filipina who wrote the blog saw the guy totally freaking out on the staff of a Jolie Bee and she asked about it and they told her the guy does it to them all the time. The blogger even said the staff was almost in tears over it. Why didnt that old guy get taken to the police station by the Jolie Bee guard? Because they dont bother with stuff like that.

Why didnt BigRob get taken to the police station when he freaked out at the cellphone shop? If this guy caused unjust vexation so did BigRob. The reason is that the situation never really gets escalated to the point of going to the police station over it.

The OP was just caught up in an unfortunate and unusual situation that would normally not happen.

To act like "OMG, I have to reconsider the Philippines" over this situation is just OA.

Agreed! Just use common sense and keep your wits about you. Don't do stupid shit, sometimes you don't know what stupid shit is like in this case, so error on the side of caution.

I doubt this law is applied every day. In all my time here, I have not heard of this being applied to anyone before. Of course that doesnt mean it hasnt been applied before, but I've never heard of it and a quick search on this forum shows that this is the first time it has ever been mentioned here as well.

We all know what is going on. And I ask myself how to avoid this. Sounds like staying in hotels and moving around is the way to go.

So that quote is just plain paranoia. Show me a country that hasnt had the odd ball detainment for some law that seems too crazy to be true.

I bet 99 out of 100 times the same exact scenario could occur and nothing would come of it. I read on another Philippine blog about this old western guy that freaks out on the staff of places all the time. The Filipina who wrote the blog saw the guy totally freaking out on the staff of a Jolie Bee and she asked about it and they told her the guy does it to them all the time. The blogger even said the staff was almost in tears over it. Why didnt that old guy get taken to the police station by the Jolie Bee guard? Because they dont bother with stuff like that.

Why didnt BigRob get taken to the police station when he freaked out at the cellphone shop? If this guy caused unjust vexation so did BigRob. The reason is that the situation never really gets escalated to the point of going to the police station over it.

The OP was just caught up in an unfortunate and unusual situation that would normally not happen.

To act like "OMG, I have to reconsider the Philippines" over this situation is just OA.

Agreed! Just use common sense and keep your wits about you. Don't do stupid shit, sometimes you don't know what stupid shit is like in this case, so error on the side of caution.

Absolutely correct. Rule number one is keep a low profile. Why expect fairness in a country where people assume you are rich, and are biased against you for it?

A_Simple_Man

Unjust vexation sounds a lot like marriage.

I believe marriage is a JUST vexation.

But it is interesting that the opening poster can rip into a woman in public, justified or not, and we look for ways that he may be right?

I wouldn't do that to my ex wife and she is MY worst enemy.

NittanyLion

You can believe that in the future I'll be avoiding any, and all, confrontations...even if I'm right.

Edited by NittanyLion
mahogany

You can believe that in the future I'll be avoiding any, and all, confrontations...even if I'm right.

Correct! And learn to smile in every situation... Sometimes I am shocked to witness the ease with which I can now execute an artificial smile :welcome:

• Like 1
DeezNuz

If you had read and were able to comprehend my original thread...I was the one that was unjustly vexed sweety boy.

Anyways...unjust vexation is hard to hold up in court. The security guards wanted all of you guys out of there, and it was accomplished. The police took over and was betting on the ability of the non-local to get so annoyed, or worried that they offered a monetary way to get released.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

kill em with kindness

you'll piss em off more that way anyway

DeezNuz

kill em with kindness

you'll piss em off more that way anyway

Agreed...the average non-local cannot get away with what locals can do.

If it were a verbal confrontation between two locals, it never would of progressed as far as the police station. The dispute would of been settled in the security office.

Thats my leverage in most issues I'm involved in. Being and looking like a local (granted... a behemoth of one) I am not stereo typed as a cash cow as the non-local looking individuals.

Edited by BigRob
ricosadao

This incident reminds me that it's a good idea to always be reasonably fit..

I would have walked straight out as the security guys were approaching...

..I believe they wouldn't have stopped me..too messy,loss of face all around,easy 'way out' for everybody.

This is Asia afterall...by retreating you tend to diffuse the situation, almost always.

Edited by ricosadao
Jess Bartone

My wife tells me that just about the worst insult you can give a Filipino is to call him/her "crazy", the other being "stupid".

mahogany

My wife tells me that just about the worst insult you can give a Filipino is to call him/her "crazy", the other being "stupid".

Specifically: buang, but there are others like "bulok", "bugok" etc. These words are used very liberally, also by children, often in a playful manner, but they are deadly if used in public and insultingly.

smokey

Specifically: buang, but there are others like "bulok", "bugok" etc. These words are used very liberally, also by children, often in a playful manner, but they are deadly if used in public and insultingly.

So foreigners are supposed to know this? And when a Filipino comes to the US are they arrested by addressing an Blacks by a slang name? Do you really think the police would even care if there was no Foreigner in the middle so it

RogerDuMond

So foreigners are supposed to know this? And when a Filipino comes to the US are they arrested by addressing an Blacks by a slang name? Do you really think the police would even care if there was no Foreigner in the middle so it's racial profiling at its best? just another case of Come visit our country and spend all you can then go away

I don't agree with you Robert. It sounded to me that it was just a case of the management wanting to get the commotion out of their store. It wasn't just the OP who was detained.