Just Released from the Police Station

NittanyLion

I've spent so much time in the Philippines over the past 12 years, but I can't believe what happened tonight.

I went to the SM Mall in an area of north Batangas this evening to print some documents. I turn around, and of all the people in this country, I see my arch-enemy from years ago. Another manager was going to fire this girl, but they asked me if I wanted her to work for me. I said yes (one of the stupidest things I've done in my life). Eventually she became my secretary (I never boned her if that's what you're thinking). But one day she flipped on me and write the nastiest abusive letter to the company President (who was a tool). They termed me...without any HR involvement or documentation or warnings or anything. I landed on my feet...so its all good. But, there I was tonight in the computer store in the mall...face to face with the person for the first time in 7 years.

I asked her, "Why did you do that to me?" She went off on me...didn't care about the other people in the store. She was ranting like I was a Japanese POW camp officer. Anyhow, I told her in Tagalog "You're crazy" and "you have no shame." She said the same things to me and eventually physically assaulted me with her bag. Her husband ran over and stopped her, with the shop owners yelling at her. She said "I'm going to get you deported." She said "I'm going to get the security guard." I said go ahead, I didn't do anything wrong...you hit me (big mistake on my part...because the foreignor is always wrong).

The security guards came and said swhe was making a complaint about me. These SM Mall security guys and their idiot manager took me to their security office. They were detaining me and refused to let me go, they refused to tell me what I did wrong, they refused to tell me their names, and they refused to even give me a pen so I could write some notes down. They called the cops, who came and took us all to the police station...I insisted that they bring the store clerk as a witness (which they did).

So, at the police station, they're all talking to the girl and her husband...but not me. For hours no one tells me their names or what I did wrong. Then they tell me that saying those things to her was a crime. I told them she said the same exact words to me...and then assaulted me on top of that. I never did anything physical. They didn't care.

So, I start texting this guy I know in Manila who is really connected. He said don't worry...don't give them anything....just chill and I'll take care of it. So, they tell me I committed Unjust Vexation...it's illegal to say those things to her. They said I could make a counter complaint AFTER I MADE BAIL IN THE MORNING. They were also going to take me to the hospital for medical exams (I don't know why). So, I'm sitting there for more hours man...and I'm freaking sweating it. Just turn on the TV and you see how they treat people.

So, they enter stuff in the police blotter (so they said), and finally after like 3 hours, they ask me my side...for the police blotter. Still, no one has told me their name or anything...just that I committed unjust vexation (WTF is that...http://attyralph.com/Blogs/Blogs.html). So, I start getting the feeling that I'm going get the shakedown for some money...and then walks in the police chief. It's late at night...and I know he's there because of my friend and his connections.

Now everything turns sweet as pie...everybody is my friend now. We just have to apologize to each other and everything will go away. "Sure, no problem," I said. Hey, do you want another cigarette...no thanks. Let's get this over with. So, the girl comes over, I man up and apologize...she apologizes...we BS for 20 minutes while they make some document that we have to sign saying everybody's cool and there's no longer and issue. Hey, we'll give you a ride to your place...no thanks I'll walk.

Unjust vexation. Is it cool to insult someone? Surely not. But, I never thought telling someone that you're crazy and you have no shame would wind you up at the police station (besides the statements were true). It's going to be funny to watch people defend that girl and the security and police. Go ahead...make my day.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DeezNuz

• NittanyLion

• MattFromGA

• A_Simple_Man

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Cultural differences between East and West are very real and not to be taken lightly. It is in our own interest that we research and learn about the culture. "Loss of face"needs to be taken very

Unjust vexation sounds a lot like marriage.       .

I doubt this law is applied every day. In all my time here, I have not heard of this being applied to anyone before. Of course that doesnt mean it hasnt been applied before, but I've never heard of

kar wren

...People in themselves, have their own biases.

richard90027

Your pretty lucky, in some remote provinces you could lose your life or have the crap beat out of you for causing someone to lose face by merely calling them crazy.

DeezNuz

Damn...that blows serious ass chunks. Man, you had to do something to her to get her pissed of and don't realize it.

More than likely, if she is not giving you the reason, she is holding a grudge because it came by way of third party. Essentially, meaning someone made something up and told her. So more than likely she wasn't your real enemy.

NittanyLion

Article. 287-A. Unjust Vexation - Any person who commits a course of

conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional

distress in such a person and serves no legitimate purpose shall suffer the

penalty of arresto mayor in its minimum period or a fine ranging [ram 500

pesos to 5000 pesos, or both.

Interesting.

Here is the new definition and penalty.

http://www.senate.go...1176810353!.pdf

redman69

This story and the one about the hemp leaf which then was found on the floor near and Robert51 about his son make me think that I should allways be a tourist in PI and never stay in one spot to long.

We all know what is going on. And I ask myself how to avoid this. Sounds like staying in hotels and moving around is the way to go.

To be honest I have worried about some of my own family there setting some thing up when my kids are there. I have to admitt not all of the inlaws are saints. I have of a few in the NPA in Augusan Del Sur. Distant to be true. But you know how cousins can be.

And then even Paul having his pochet picked. Sounds like time must be spent with your gaurd up.

Well thanks for the story.

<center><font size="5" color="blue">Its only one thing to say:</font><p>

<br>

gallery_1442_398_19499.jpg</center>

Edited by Baldy
mikejwoodnz

Unjust vexation. Is it cool to insult someone? Surely not. But, I never thought telling someone that you're crazy and you have no shame would wind you up at the police station (besides the statements were true). It's going to be funny to watch people defend that girl and the security and police. Go ahead...make my day.

- but you are still failing to see that you are in the wrong venting at the person in the first place - the law is obviously to enforce the doctrine of "keeping face" as opposed to escalating aggression - I myself have a problem with meeting perceived aggression with a higher level of aggression bashtroll.gif

(edited to fix quoted OP)

Edited by mikejwoodnz

pesos to 5000 pesos, or both.

Interesting.

Here is the new definition and penalty.

It is almost unbelievable that this is the law of the land in the Philippines, and it is essentially a license for police harassment. Virtually any dispute between two people could be labeled "unjust vexation" and be prosecuted.

Things like this make me wonder if the Philippines are worth the effort.

Tomas

• Like 1
booger10

- but you are still failing to see that you are in the wrong venting at the person in the first place - the law is obviously to enforce the doctrine of "keeping face" as opposed to escalating aggression - I myself have a problem with meeting perceived aggression with a higher level of aggression bashtroll.gif

(edited to fix quoted OP)

wow, just wow I probably would have been a little up tight seeing her, too. I guess somethings here that are ok aren't ok there. I learn more each day I read this blog. Much to my dismay, it seems I need to, also.

lazydays

The Cultural differences between East and West are very real and not to be taken lightly.

It is in our own interest that we research and learn about the culture.

"Loss of face"needs to be taken very seriously,in the worst case scenario it can be fatal.

• Like 1

pesos to 5000 pesos, or both

Unjust vexation sounds a lot like marriage.

• Like 2
MattFromGA

I doubt this law is applied every day. In all my time here, I have not heard of this being applied to anyone before. Of course that doesnt mean it hasnt been applied before, but I've never heard of it and a quick search on this forum shows that this is the first time it has ever been mentioned here as well.

We all know what is going on. And I ask myself how to avoid this. Sounds like staying in hotels and moving around is the way to go.

So that quote is just plain paranoia. Show me a country that hasnt had the odd ball detainment for some law that seems too crazy to be true.

I bet 99 out of 100 times the same exact scenario could occur and nothing would come of it. I read on another Philippine blog about this old western guy that freaks out on the staff of places all the time. The Filipina who wrote the blog saw the guy totally freaking out on the staff of a Jolie Bee and she asked about it and they told her the guy does it to them all the time. The blogger even said the staff was almost in tears over it. Why didnt that old guy get taken to the police station by the Jolie Bee guard? Because they dont bother with stuff like that.

Why didnt BigRob get taken to the police station when he freaked out at the cellphone shop? If this guy caused unjust vexation so did BigRob. The reason is that the situation never really gets escalated to the point of going to the police station over it.

The OP was just caught up in an unfortunate and unusual situation that would normally not happen.

To act like "OMG, I have to reconsider the Philippines" over this situation is just OA.

Edited by sweetlittle_jake
  • Like 1
BBQ Joe

Just one more "law" because the Filipino refuses to play on a level playing field. Living in a country where you have LESS THAN zero rights just does not seem too appealing. I don't see being held against my will by a mall security guard AFTER I have been assaulted as a fun time at the mall.

• Like 1