Sign in to follow this  
Paul

US Citizens - Registering Births Abroad

ed villas

good luck.. i know of a person whos child has an appointment w/USCIS as the parent is no longer in the RP and will not give this child a VISA TO ATTEND this child USCIS citizenship hearing.

SHAME ON these people. 

Brucewayne

dirtsquirter How old was your son when you applied? I find that a bit over the top if he was a newborn. Anyone have experience with a newborn? Also was the passport part mandatory or is that just something you did? What was the breakdown of fees? Thanks

The passport is only required if the child is going to be registered solely as an American citizen so visa's can be processed legally.

If a dual citizen, no need for the U.S. passport unless the child is expected to leave the country at some point in time.

enoonmai

Getting the passport and the report of birth abroad is very simple(necessary)and these two items are needed before before you apply for SSA benefits.

No you don't have to go to Manila-its all done at the consulate in Cebu City, and field agents from SSA in Manila will come to Cebu for interviews.

Bill

This is an old post so maybe things have changed. It's not "all done" at the consulate in Cebu City, at least not now. The staff at the consulate collects the fees, photos, and docs and verifies that you are submitting the correct ones; from there they are sent to the embassy where they are approved or not. You may well have to go to Manila. I just went through this. 

Kevin_S

Getting the passport and the report of birth abroad is very simple(necessary)and these two items are needed before before you apply for SSA benefits.

No you don't have to go to Manila-its all done at the consulate in Cebu City, and field agents from SSA in Manila will come to Cebu for interviews.

Bill

This is an old post so maybe things have changed. It's not "all done" at the consulate in Cebu City, at least not now. The staff at the consulate collects the fees, photos, and docs and verifies that you are submitting the correct ones; from there they are sent to the embassy where they are approved or not. You may well have to go to Manila. I just went through this. 

I applied for my daughter's US citizenship and passport last 17th of December.  We took all documents to Cebu consulate office.  They reviewed them and collected the fees and sent them to Manila.  We were approved on 23 January and did not have to travel to Manila.  We're just waiting for the documents to arrive in Cebu.  If I'm not mistaken, I think the documents will be coming from the US.  At least that was my impression from speaking to the representative in Manila.  She said that it will take 4 weeks from the approval date to "print" and 1 week to mail.  We expect the documents to arrive 20 Feb. 

• Like 1

shadow

Bill

I applied for my daughter's US citizenship and passport last 17th of December.  We took all documents to Cebu consulate office.  They reviewed them and collected the fees and sent them to Manila.  We were approved on 23 January and did not have to travel to Manila.  We're just waiting for the documents to arrive in Cebu.  If I'm not mistaken, I think the documents will be coming from the US.  At least that was my impression from speaking to the representative in Manila.  She said that it will take 4 weeks from the approval date to "print" and 1 week to mail.  We expect the documents to arrive 20 Feb. 

Correct, the actual birth abroad certificate and passport are printed in the US.

• Like 1

SkyMan

Posting here since this applies to the CRBA/Passport process.  I'm told the old instructions for that require 2 2X2 pictures of the child not more than 3 months old.  (The pictures that is, not necessarily the child.) but the requirement has been changed to not more than 1 month old.

Paul

Updated URL in the original post of this thread.