Sign in to follow this  
Paul

US Citizens - Registering Births Abroad

USMC-Retired

That the Goverment charges over 200 dollars for something you get free in the US. I found that to be over the top. Not what you were doing. Sorry if I confused you into maybe thinking that.

• Like 1

dirtsquirter

I agree Norseman, being here means we pay extra for everything, but the 10,000 pesos was worth it in my opinion. The passport is only good for 5 years, but if we decided to wait any longer then we wouldn't be able to just get on the plane when my wife gets her visa, there would be more waiting for my son's passport, so even though at the time we had no plans to move back to America, things can change quickly as they have for us, and it's nice to be prepared. Speaking of that, I am getting certified true copies of my son's birth certificate, also my wife is getting her drivers license so she can drive back in the states, and all her high school transcripts, college transcripts, and even extra copies of her birth certificate and marriage certificate - you never know if we need them in America, I wouldn't want to try getting them from 10,000 miles away...

SkyMan

Does getting the CRBA also include a SSAN? Or is that something that needs to be applied for separately?

dc3driver

I agree Norseman, being here means we pay extra for everything, but the 10,000 pesos was worth it in my opinion. The passport is only good for 5 years, but if we decided to wait any longer then we wouldn't be able to just get on the plane when my wife gets her visa, there would be more waiting for my son's passport, so even though at the time we had no plans to move back to America, things can change quickly as they have for us, and it's nice to be prepared. Speaking of that, I am getting certified true copies of my son's birth certificate, also my wife is getting her drivers license so she can drive back in the states, and all her high school transcripts, college transcripts, and even extra copies of her birth certificate and marriage certificate - you never know if we need them in America, I wouldn't want to try getting them from 10,000 miles away...

Good idea!! You will need some of that stuff when you least expect it. Best to be prepared in advance.

Benny

According to my lawyer back in the states, the child will be eligible for 50 percent of what the pensioner draws. For example, if you draw the max, 2100 per month, the child will get 1050.00, if you have two children, the amount does not go up, it is split between children. For example, for 2 children each will receive 525.00, and so on and so forth. No extra money for extra kids.

Yep, see http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/yourchildren.htm it says "each qualified child may receive a monthly payment up to one-half of your full retirement benefit amount. However, there is a limit to the amount we can pay your family. The total depends on your benefit amount and the number of family members who also qualify on your record. The total varies, but generally the total amount you and your family can receive is about 150 to 180 percent of your full retirement benefit."

cebubird

Getting the passport and the report of birth abroad is very simple(necessary)and these two items are needed before before you apply for SSA benefits.

No you don't have to go to Manila-its all done at the consulate in Cebu City, and field agents from SSA in Manila will come to Cebu for interviews.

Bill

Headshot

Getting the passport and the report of birth abroad is very simple(necessary)and these two items are needed before before you apply for SSA benefits.

No you don't have to go to Manila-its all done at the consulate in Cebu City, and field agents from SSA in Manila will come to Cebu for interviews.

Bill

Bill, you do still have to go to Manila to get the child registered in DEERS, correct? Also, I'm not yet collecting SS benefits, but our daughter will still need her SSN before we can register her in DEERS. Will the SS field agent still come to Cebu for that?

Edited by Headshot

USMC-Retired

Deers is very simple you just can mail the Birth Certificate to your Retired Branch Administration. They will assign him a temp number and he will be enrolled. Very easy. If you are with DFAS and need to add him to the VGLI for dependents you can send Birth certificate to DFAS. You have up to the first year of life to do that. If you are not already enrolled. The cost is very cheap at $3.00 a month and it will give him 55% of your retirement till age 18 or 22 if enrolled in school full time.

Edited by Norseman

tonny

Yes first child gets half if you retired at full retirement age ,if you retired at age 62 the child get more than 50% as they do not penalize the child for you retiring early he/ she would get 50% of what you would have gotten at full retirement age,crazy but that the law. Also there is a family max so if one child gets $800 does not mean it split between the two it goes in the computer and they figure it out some how could be like $600 and $600 so on and so own, up to 150% or 180% according to your retirement date or disability date.Like before 1979 was a lot higher and before some time in the 60s it was half for all children but the guys in WA. coal mines but a halt to that with a dozen kids,Congress change the law.Also you don't need a birth abroad paper or passport before the checks come in. Like most people even SS workers think.Talk to Gladys a big supervisor there she explain the law. But the checks only come for six months then stop but you get all of it when you finish with the BA papers and Passport.Also the checks will be taxed at 20% or so but you get it back as the child is a alien till the papers come in.I did it with Rose so know it can be done . Good Luck

Headshot

DEERS is very simple. You just can mail the Birth Certificate to your Retired Branch Administration. They will assign her a temp number and she will be enrolled. Very easy. If you are with DFAS and need to add her to the VGLI for dependents. You can send a Birth certificate to DFAS. You have up to the first year of life to do that. If you are not already enrolled. The cost is very cheap at $3.00 a month and it will give her 55% of your retirement till age 18 or 22 if enrolled in school full time.

Retired Branch Administration? So...would that be the Air Reserve Personnel Center? Or are you talking about some desk at DFAS? Can the birth certificate be scanned and emailed to them, or do I need to send them an original?I have dealt with DFAS when I got my wife on my Survivors Benefit Plan (SBP). I will get with them on the VGLI. Is it similar to the SBP? When I enrolled my wife in DEERS, we had to do it at the US Embassy in Manila, so she could get an ID card. Doesn't my daughter need an ID card too? When my daughter gets an SSN, do I have to contact the Retired Branch Administration again with the new number? I sure as hell do wish they would make this process simpler.

USMC-Retired

For my wife I sent the NSO Marriage License and NSO Birth Certificate to Retired Affairs Marine Corps S-1. My copy Passport ID and Copy DD214.

They enrolled her in Deers.

No ID card however really not needed with other ID and phone call or email verification.

For the baby..

Same NSO Birth certificate to Retired Affairs Marine Corps S-1. My copy Passport ID and Copy DD214.

He will be enrolled in Deers.

Then to DFAS Cleveland. I am sending the NSO Birth Certificate and my copy Passport ID and copy DD214. Thus he will be covered for SBP for children. Cheaper then Spouse and he is covered till 18 years old or 22 if in College. I was mistaken when I said VGLI.....

Hope that helps.

Headshot

Thanks Tim. The DFAS office I contacted (in London, Kentucky) said my daughter has to already have a SSN to be enrolled in my SBP. When I contacted the Total Force Service Center in Denver, they said they weren't sure how to enroll a child in DEERS in the Philippines and they will get back with me...

:rolleyes:

At least they did ask me for my email address.

Ah yes...this is the government I love.

USMC-Retired

They do not need a SSN. Call them again if you need help I have the email address for Customer Relations Officer she has helped me many times with various issues. SSN is not a requirment.

Headshot

PM that email address to me if you could Tim. Thanks. The last time I dealt with DFAS, I had to get the Air Force Board of Appeals involved to get it straightened out.

Benny

Yes first child gets half if you retired at full retirement age ,if you retired at age 62 the child get more than 50% as they do not penalize the child for you retiring early he/ she would get 50% of what you would have gotten at full retirement age,crazy but that the law. Also there is a family max so if one child gets $800 does not mean it split between the two it goes in the computer and they figure it out some how could be like $600 and $600 so on and so own, up to 150% or 180% according to your retirement date or disability date.Like before 1979 was a lot higher and before some time in the 60s it was half for all children but the guys in WA. coal mines but a halt to that with a dozen kids,Congress change the law.Also you don't need a birth abroad paper or passport before the checks come in. Like most people even SS workers think.Talk to Gladys a big supervisor there she explain the law. But the checks only come for six months then stop but you get all of it when you finish with the BA papers and Passport.Also the checks will be taxed at 20% or so but you get it back as the child is a alien till the papers come in.I did it with Rose so know it can be done . Good Luck

Tonny, was this all done in Cebu? More importantly, is this Gladys working at the Cebu Consulate?