Thirteen more Bantayan resorts eyed for demolition

thebob

In Hawaii there were studies done that found that seawalls did more harm than good in preserving sand. Apparently erosion and renewal of the sand is an ongoing process that built up the sand beaches in the first place. Seawall disturb those currents and result in less sand than otherwise would be the case. I can understand how an individual property owner would want to preserve his own piece of paradise, but at what cost to others?

I'm sorry easy44, I can't just let that go. Just because 'some studies' show a negative impact, doesn't mean it is a bad thing. It is a very complex process, and most beaches are 'very' mobile if you take a long term view. The minimum survey time, is 7 years, as it is with tide prediction, and is influenced by things as diverse as local weather patterns, and the orbit of Jupiter. The naturalistic fallacy that "nature" will take care of it is a very bad idea in this case.

The expertise for this kind of management does exist in Siliman University, in Dumagette. But I doubt that such a long term analysis would survive the multiple administrations necessary, or even be followed if it did not suit the powers that be, at the time.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jess Bartone

• spooks

• JamesMusslewhite

• Flemming

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I thought, for even a minute, that the government actions would help preserve shoreline for future generations of filipinos, I would suggest the gov't do what they have to do and compensate the inj

Hi...I agree you, speking for my self only, our place is and has never been blocked for any in matter of access......only seems like they starts with few small once like us who actually has followed t

Someone raised my attention to this thread, thats why the late reply.   You know what? feck them all at these authorities ... I can say it without looking at the resorts and whatever they did. Why t

senseless

That is a shame. Beaches should have free access, and a free access policy should be imposed within a reasonable distance from the waterline. Above that zoned area then beach access restrictions can be imposed by land owners. This allows them to maintain their property, equipment, and security of their customers and patrons. I own a small beach lot and would never impose restriction as to access to the beach line. My lot goes to the waters edge but my fence is well off the water's edge. People should be allowed full access to the water's edge and associated beach line.

If that was the case, at least in mactan, you would not be able to use the beach as a tourist. You'd have too many people trying to sell you pearls, or sea shells, or whatever kind of bullshit they can think to try to hock off on people just trying to enjoy their vacation.

Places like shangri la, hilton, whitesands, etc, all have a huge line of people on either side of the sea wall just dying to sell you something. They'll even follow you out into the water, even if its greater than head deep! I was with someone once who jokingly said to one of these hockers "Do you have virgins? I want virgins!". And the guy starts trying to sell his damn daughter to him!!!

If there is not some sort of permit that people can apply for, there really needs to be. Otherwise, tourists will only come once.

Edited by senseless
Paul
Thanks all you guys, for those of you who never been Bantayan and Saint Bernard I just stumbled over a video from 2009. on you tube,We didnt make it...how wide shall the beachfront be when it is not measured after extrem bad weather try look this video

for info, I can tell that the hight in sand level every year change fron a 1,5meter high wall to a 20centimeter high wall, every year the sand go away and return allmost same amount, all depen the HABAGAT (MONZONE)...

Shall that PARADISE be destroyed and for what reason ?

Hi Flemming! First, thanks so very much for joining the forum, and for your donation. Both are very well appreciated.

It's been a while since I have been back to see you there. I will make it a point to drop by on my next trip to Bantayan.

I do hope that most of you win here. The only one I would like to see suffer is your neighbor. But, if it means letting his sorry ass be cleared, in order for you to be cleared as well, then so be it. I can't see anything positive coming from the destruction of your current property. :scratch_head: It would be a complete waste for that to happen.

I wish you and Eden (I believe is her name?) the best, always.

fanboat

beach access is a good thing

I want to keep the beach front for all

not just the rich

SkyMan

So what if your place is 20mtr from the water and then there is some errosion? I think if I owned one of these to be demo'd resorts I would have some sand trucked in to move the water out 20 mtr.

Year it could be nice if possible, though this is direct to open sea and the seashore is 24/7 on the move. You should pay the Island a visit and enjoy, it is a pearl.

Fact is, now Marlins wall is down, if the remaining will be demolished and nothing will be done, the local fisherman better start to pack his banca and search for other place to live, big part of the island will be gone very fast and the one the environmentalists say they wanted to protect lost everything.

The existing walls has done some protection the past years but if not more costal protection is done very fast, a lot of Sta.Fe will be gone, I really do hope that by that time the once who said they protected, will stand up and remember they wanted to help the local

Actually did stay at TicketyBoo a few days. Not bad.

Paul

Read this, please.

Also, web search "Tickety Boo Beach Resort" and read other reviews.

His wife recently left him because she was tired of his infidelity.

SkyMan

Read this, please.

Also, web search "Tickety Boo Beach Resort" and read other reviews.

His wife recently left him because she was tired of his infidelity.

So why didn't you tell me this before I went there? Hahahahaha OK, my experience there was so so but maybe we caught him on a decent few days. Anyway, I won't go there again and maybe go to the other place you mentioned.

Flemming

not just the rich

Hi...I agree you, speking for my self only, our place is and has never been blocked for any in matter of access......only seems like they starts with few small once like us who actually has followed the demands of DENR till now....read all he written in this case...DENR is not against, they aproved it before... until there was filed a case against them from many angels that they did not do their work.... I feel they did, but but but..

"" if one can be judged guilty of an act done before the law is made, then we at St.Bernard guilty"

• Like 2
loosehead

not just the rich

Hi...I agree you, speking for my self only, our place is and has never been blocked for any in matter of access......only seems like they starts with few small once like us who actually has followed the demands of DENR till now....read all he written in this case...DENR is not against, they aproved it before... until there was filed a case against them from many angels that they did not do their work.... I feel they did, but but but..

"" if one can be judged guilty of an act done before the law is made, then we at St.Bernard guilty"

Welcome to the forum Flemming. It's great to get some information direct from those on the ground there. As of yesterday the The wow Banytayan website didn't even mention the issue. Probably concerned about scaring off the tourists. Flemming is it just the sea walls that are affected or do the resort owners have to demolish buildings ?

By the way we had a very positive review of your resort by one of the members here. I hope your business continues to go well.

musicman666

the problem with the zone distances from the shore and highway is that they have already been flouted and now the houses that sit in those zones are owned by lawyers, politicians ect... so unless its a real tourist spot such as the op situation it wont really be enforced.

i noticed on the foreshore lease there is also a marine lease that you would need to secure if you wish to start a commercial operation.. i know that the denr made a big deal of this. If you just want to protect the coastline its seemingly an automatic yes.

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

If I thought, for even a minute, that the government actions would help preserve shoreline for future generations of filipinos, I would suggest the gov't do what they have to do and compensate the injured parties.

But, I don't believe. When the current government is voted out, if not sooner, someone with money will have acquired that same property and build whatever is profitable in whatever way necessary.

• Like 3
Willie

not just the rich

Flemming, good luck man, hope it all works out for you and yours.

JamesMusslewhite

That is a shame. Beaches should have free access, and a free access policy should be imposed within a reasonable distance from the waterline. Above that zoned area then beach access restrictions can be imposed by land owners. This allows them to maintain their property, equipment, and security of their customers and patrons. I own a small beach lot and would never impose restriction as to access to the beach line. My lot goes to the waters edge but my fence is well off the water's edge. People should be allowed full access to the water's edge and associated beach line.

If that was the case, at least in mactan, you would not be able to use the beach as a tourist. You'd have too many people trying to sell you pearls, or sea shells, or whatever kind of bullshit they can think to try to hock off on people just trying to enjoy their vacation.

Places like shangri la, hilton, whitesands, etc, all have a huge line of people on either side of the sea wall just dying to sell you something. They'll even follow you out into the water, even if its greater than head deep! I was with someone once who jokingly said to one of these hockers "Do you have virgins? I want virgins!". And the guy starts trying to sell his damn daughter to him!!!

If there is not some sort of permit that people can apply for, there really needs to be. Otherwise, tourists will only come once.

That is the fault of the local authorities. They should issue vendor's licensing and regulate them by establishing a commerce free parameter zone, restricting vendors so patrons and vacationers can enjoy themselves without the constant bantering of over zealous street hustlers. Unfortunantly if one brings such things to the attention of local officials, it only seems to fall on deaf ears and limited minds. Which is the root of most of the problems here.