• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mailman

• loosehead

• JohnFromTexas

• MattFromGA

loosehead

Maybe i'm paranoid about spending time in a cell but If I was Robert T:

I wouldn't be posting about bribes on a public forum.

I wouldn't be answering stupid questions from amateur sleuths on this site.

I would have told the police my passport was in a bank safe in Manila.

I would currently be heading for Zamboanga to catch a boat to Indonesia.

Paul

I agree with everything except with posting how he should leave the country. :D :D

Edited by Admin
JohnFromTexas

For those who are doubtful about the guys story or shocked, this is almost identical to what happened to the guy in Angeles city. I have little doubt it's a complete setup based on the story of the police just not making sense.

As for talking to the reporter, i'm sure they were just quoting what the officers involved told them which is standard procedure. If it goes to court, just like the other case in Angeles, the stories of the cops will most likely fall apart under questioning and be shown to be false.

It doesn't take him having made anyone angry or jealous - it sounds like he is somewhat known in the community as a business owner and is known to be seeking investments. All it takes is for one crooked cop to know you have a good deal of money coming in to pay bribes for this to happen. That is exactly what happened with the guy in angeles. It became common knowledge that he had made money from the investment in his business and he was even stupid enough to brag about it to others.

I feel for you but you only go three options: fleeing the country (if you still have your visa) - not sure if that kind of charge could follow you home, paying the bribes (and who knows where that ends) or seeing it through the end in court. As long as the judge isn't totally corrupt you'd most likely be vindicated if you're lawyer is competent but it's going to be a long journey I'm sure and maybe as expensive as the bribes.

Here's an interesting question... in the Angeles case, they bribes requested were almost exactly the same amount as what he had told others he was making per month from the investment in his business... were the bribes requested similar to some amount of money that some other local person might know you were receiving or had in your possession? If so there's your answer of what happened right there.

MattFromGA

Tex, did you read loosehead's post:

I know he was referring to my questions, but....

smokey

sorry to say but the bigger the bribe the more status the one collecting it gets.. did you ever wonder how so many people who serve the people can afford many houses ,, mistresses ,,, and suv...

loosehead

If it goes to court, just like the other case in Angeles, the stories of the cops will most likely fall apart under questioning and be shown to be false.

And if you're wrong he'll get 25 years

smokey

If it goes to court, just like the other case in Angeles, the stories of the cops will most likely fall apart under questioning and be shown to be false.

And if you're wrong he'll get 25 years

if he runs he is black listed for life , leaves everything behind , and if his wife or GF is not already a US citz its not likely she will be allowed to get to the US to be with him... the bribes are not a lot but they never end what happens is the case is put on the bottom and when it comes to the top again there is more needed then back to the bottom so on and so on.. you have no choice but to fight it in court if you want it to end..

loosehead

Well good luck Robert T but you are playing a risky game the longer you allow this to run. I hope you like dancing to Michael Jackson music.

JohnFromTexas

I'm not advising the guy it's his decision to make... just saying the other guy won -- although it was a long and painful experience for him... pretty much lots of damage no matter which decision he goes with.... if he is innocent i feel sorry for the guy.. really feel sorry either way as marijuana should be legal in my opinion though I'm not stupid enough to ever buy it here in the philippines the consequences are not worth it. what do you suggest he do since it sounds like most likely he is simply the target of crooked cops? (unless you really believe the news stories...)

MattFromGA
I'm not stupid enough to ever buy it here in the philippines the consequences are not worth it

I agree, but if the guy is innocent, not buying it only reduces the chance of trouble. It seems you life can be thrown into the dry spin cycle even if you never looked at the stuff, simply because someone else decided to mess with you in some way.

It reinforces the idea that a normal guy expat needs to live a low profile lifestyle. If you want to live a high profile lifestyle you need an entourage of respectable people. If the American Robert had 2 or 3 others with him, he probably wouldnt be in this situation (especially if they were ex-cops/off duty cops with a good record). If you think about it, many rich Americans in America do that. It isnt often that someone considered rich in America walks around in public totally alone because of these very type of situations as well as things like kidnapping, etc. Its needed more in the Philippines, and the bar of entry for being considered rich is much much lower here.

loosehead

I'm not advising the guy it's his decision to make... just saying the other guy won -- although it was a long and painful experience for him... pretty much lots of damage no matter which decision he goes with.... if he is innocent i feel sorry for the guy.. really feel sorry either way as marijuana should be legal in my opinion though I'm not stupid enough to ever buy it here in the philippines the consequences are not worth it. what do you suggest he do since it sounds like most likely he is simply the target of crooked cops? (unless you really believe the news stories...)

I agree it should be legal. I have no idea whether this guy has been set up but it seems quite likely. If it was me in his shoes i would have offered to pay an "instant fine". I was drinking with an american guy in Manila who got caught with a matchbox or weed he had purchased a few minutes before. He paid a small amount to tje two policemen and was not only allowed to walk free but got his weed back. I just think the longer it runs the more complicated it gets and fighting it in court is a very high risk strategy. I also don't think it is helping him debating it on a public forum but that is his call.

shadow

Anyone who may be wondering about this "other guy" should refer to this thread;

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/index.php?showtopic=8279&st=0

Larry in Dumaguete

JohnFromTexas

I was hoping someone would post that link :)

loosehead

Thanks Larry. I have read that before. Atkins loses the plot in the first half page when he claims no one over 55 has taken drugs. He obviously doesn't know any old hippies or vietnam vets or a lot of the expats who used to hang around manila and Angeles in the 80's. I met Atkins in manila and i should point out there are some expats who believe John Martin was very lucky. I'll leave it at that as i didn't know the guy personally although i been to his business and may have met him briefly. One point raised by guys who live in Angeles is 230 grams or US$20 000 worth of shabu or is an extraordinary amount of drugs to plant on someone when 5 grams would have delivered the desired result. It's certainly a strange story.

The Baligabo police station had a long history of corruption. In the 80's the cops would bump into a drunk tourist walking past, find a joint on the ground and it was US$100 instant fine or into the lock up. I never met anyone who refused to pay the fine who was happy with that decision after days of their holiday being taken up with hassles and lawyers. For most of us at the time it was a day's pay and a silly mistake for not crossing the road and avoiding the corrupt cops. There were other old hands who used to give the officer in charge at the police station a litre bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label (his favourite) as a present when they arrived and they of course had an ally on call if they had any trouble. Some of these guys used to use their police friends to process false insurance claims and fake loss of travellers cheques. Over the road and only about 200 metres from the Balibago Police Station was a retired army Colonel who ran a marijuana retail business from an apartment. Finest quality Sagada heads were 300PHP per ounce with a guarantee that if you are caught by the police you could give this guys name (i won't print it here)and the Police would let you off. I never knew anyone who need to use this guarantee so I don't know if it was effective but we all thought it was hilarious a drug dealer claimimg to have that relationship with the police.