American falls for buying marijuana

angelescitypi

well if you are the real deal ..then just report things as they happen.. the best defence against this sort of thing is to put the facts out there as you have done already.. criminals hate their dirty washing to be hung out in full public view.

AGREED! Tell your story in court because the police according to your story lacked reasonable suspicion for the stop. Unfortunately you hurt yourself by granting consent for the search. In any event they need something tangible to connect you with the marijuana. Of course it is not helpful that you are a publically acknowledged pothead but you have rights too. Good luck and leave the drugs alone. The Philippines is NOT the place for it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mailman

• loosehead

• JohnFromTexas

• smokey

Mailman

Well, IF this really is you and IF what you say is absolutely true, I feel for you.

I would waste NO time getting myself a urinalysis by one or more accredited testing centers showing no THC in your system.

This would help with your credibility.

Of course, it may be too late as several weeks have passed already. :chopper:

Robert Tunnison

Whoever crazyboard is, they have nothing to do with me. Someone took one of the stupid news article and posted it like that. And I did request a test to show I have nothing in my system, the police would not give me one. It was like they didn't care. Yet they are quick to tell me who I need to pay, etc. etc. They even put in the police report that they have a confidential informant that gave them information two weeks before they even arrested me. I didn't even know I was going to be where I was at until I got there. We were simply crossing over the road to catch a taxi to Guadalupe where we live...

MattFromGA

I have never been stopped like that, but I have read about others claiming to be check out by cops before. I dont keep statistics, but it seems that most if not all the times I have read about it there are only a few reasons to trigger the cops IN CEBU bothering a foreigner:

1. They are drunk or appear to be under the influence at the time the police approached them.

2. They are being stopped in a road check.

3. They are being a nuisance in some way.

I know there are other reasons that would trigger a cop stopping to trying and search you. I've been in road checks before and they never have searched me or my vehicle.

I believe this is the first time that I have heard of a foreigner being stopped IN CEBU and searched in the middle of the day, while not under the influence (or acting like an idiot), just going about their business while acting as a normal citizen. If this is the way it really went down, I find it disturbing and hope it doesnt become a trend.

I am not making a judgement here, nor am I deciding how I think the incident went down. I dont know what the real situation is and dont see how I could ever know enough to actually have an opinion about what happened.

Edited by sweetlittle_jake
fanboat

I don't get it...how can a news agent claim a dude was walking down the street dragging to giant pot plants to his home in broad daylight,and get away with such bullshit?

Have you gone to talk to the so called reporter?

If you have a viedo camera...take to interview this fool...than post the story on youtube.

As for being setup, I have no clue. All I know is I now have several entities coming at me for money, it is effecting my business, and I am being prosecuted for someone else's junk and it does not come with a good feeling...

Robert Tunnison

You own a business in the Philippines ?

This is one of the many reasons that I would never own a business in the Philippines.

All you have to do is make someone angry, or jealous, and then they will come after you for money because you are an easy target.

It was probably not "someone else's junk", it was probably just a bag of pot that the cop dropped on the ground at your feet.

If you have the money, you could probably raise hell, and expose the corruption, and fight it in it the courts. But, it would probably be cheaper in the long run just to pay the bribes, and then move to a different city so that they cannot come at you again for more easy money.

That is also why a business owner is considered to be an easy target. You are considered to be

rich, and it is more difficult for you to just pack a bag and run.

I am surprised that you are out of jail. It seems more likely that you would still be sitting in jail if you had not paid the bribes already.

Edited by donb2222

I don't get it...how can a news agent claim a dude was walking down the street dragging to giant pot plants to his home in broad daylight,and get away with such bullshit?

Have you gone to talk to the so called reporter?

If you have a viedo camera...take to interview this fool...than post the story on youtube.

I doubt a Filipino reporter would agree to be interviewed. They would most likely run and hide from anyone seeking to speak to them.

There is no accountability in the Philippines

Edited by donb2222
Mailman

So... did you pay up? Are you chatting to us from the jail's library computer? Or are you out on bail?

How is it that you came to respond to a thread in a forum where you are not a member within a day or two of its creation?

Just curious.

Jess Bartone

Schizophrenia... you are never alone.

I didn't even know I was going to be where I was at until I got there. We were simply crossing over the road to catch a taxi to Guadalupe where we live...

What was the reason you were in T Padilla ?

Who did you meet and how do you know them ?

smokey

This is the same thing that happened to my son... he is sitting on the curb drinking a red horse drunk as a skunk 4 police approach him and stand him up ( they were worried to see a foreigner alone at night) ha ha ha at his feet a police officer sees a crumpled cig. pack and picks it up and it has a ONE/ half size joint and he is charged , within hours we are called and offered a deal , we did not accept , there is not suppose to be bail for foreigners on drug charges ... wife takes over goes into battle mode... case dismissed. drug tested twice both NO sign of drugs in system spent 8 days in jail... can offer we have a good lawyer if your interested

Robert Tunnison

Thanks Robert, but I already have a good attorney. To answer some of the questions, I wasn't drunk or creating any problems. I went with my wife to visit my mother-n-law. She lives over that way. The sky-walk we were crossing on is where P. Del Rosario and imus streets come together.

Right now I am on a 200,000 peso bond. The lawyer tried to get it dismissed but the prosecutor declined to do so. I refused to pay the bribe and they refused to drop the charge. I'm finding out the hard way that is how it works here and they have no intention of changing their little system. It seems you either pay the police and the fiscal or go to trial. I'm at the point now where I think I am just going to pay and move my family to the US. Already two of my investors have flown the coop because of this. I am simply trying to bring foreign investors here to start businesses and create jobs (as well as turn a profit), it isn't like I'm stepping on anyone's toes.

smokey

Thanks Robert, but I already have a good attorney. To answer some of the questions, I wasn't drunk or creating any problems. I went with my wife to visit my mother-n-law. She lives over that way. The sky-walk we were crossing on is where P. Del Rosario and imus streets come together.

Right now I am on a 200,000 peso bond. The lawyer tried to get it dismissed but the prosecutor declined to do so. I refused to pay the bribe and they refused to drop the charge. I'm finding out the hard way that is how it works here and they have no intention of changing their little system. It seems you either pay the police and the fiscal or go to trial. I'm at the point now where I think I am just going to pay and move my family to the US. Already two of my investors have flown the coop because of this. I am simply trying to bring foreign investors here to start businesses and create jobs (as well as turn a profit), it isn't like I'm stepping on anyone's toes.

sorry to say that very few care how much you do to help the country ,, the main thrust is ask not what Robert can do for our country but what robert can do for ME

MattFromGA

Robert Tunnison,

Would you mind mentioning how you were dressed? Were you dressed really nicely or just wearing shorts and teeshirt? Where you wearing a watch?

While I dont doubt what you are saying can happen, it is very unusual. I've been here for more than a few years and know a handful of foreigners and we all go out and do things just as you described. I have never heard of this type of scenario before (Not drunk, not acting outrageous, just minding your own business in broad daylight). This is why I want to know some details of the situation, like what you were wearing.

I can see how it can be hard for the general government to deal with this. A senator, governor or mayor type isnt going to know for sure what really happened. On the one hand they probably dont want police to give foreigners the shake down because if it happens to much, it would hurt the country a bit. On the other, they dont want to always believe the foreigner just because they are a foreigner as it would become known that foreigners can just say "I was setup" and get out of it.

Basically what you are saying happened is that you were innocently walking with you wife in a non scheduled time, and two cops saw you and instantly decided to give you the shake down. If you are being honest, then the cops had the drugs on them and were on the look out for someone to shake down for bribe money. Is it possible they me or one the other other foreigners I knew could have just as easily been their victim if we happened to have crossed their path just a few minutes before you?

For sure, even if your story is 100% true (which I am not saying it isnt), the situation is not a normal occurrence around here.

I doubt that he was innocently walking with his wife.

It is more likely that he was setup by someone with a motive.

He was probably being watched or followed.