BigRob in another altercation.

Turbota

And as another aside, Posters keep talking about China crap.

They perhaps don't realize that as many as 90% of all genuine Nokia phones are made in China.

KonC

There is a big big difference between a genuine Nokia assembled in China vs a Chinese "knock-off" cellphone (ie: fake Chinese made Nokia)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DeezNuz

• broden

• smokey

• elBradford

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

easy44

Maybe it's only Australia, but the battery is never included in the guarantee Rob.

Not even in a brand new car.

KonC

Kenny, so you're telling me your purchased a new car before with a battery problem and the dealer made you pay for the replacement? Damn, I feel sorry for you guys from Australia.

It's quite some time since I've lived in Australia Rob but the fact is, battery and tires are excluded from new car (and probably used car too) guarantee.

As an aside, at 2,100 I think you purchased a refurbished phone rather than a new one, not that it matters.

New E95 Chinaphones are around 3,000 new.

And as another aside, Posters keep talking about China crap.

They perhaps don't realize that as many as 90% of all genuine Nokia phones are made in China.

Just take out the battery and check out country of origin.

KonC

But they sure as hell aren't being made in a Nokia factory. Are you implying that they're the same or equal to the genuine product?

KennyF

There is a big big difference between a genuine Nokia assembled in China vs a Chinese "knock-off" cellphone (ie: fake Chinese made Nokia)

Ask Admin if he would prefer to lose a 19,000 Nokia or a 3,000 China phone next time

But anyway.

I didn't say there wasn't.

It would seem though, that there is confusion about "China phones" and phones made in China.

Posters keep referring to the "crap" produced by China.

I think most would be surprised at how many items they have that were made there. (Jeep Cherokee???)

For what it's worth, I have had a dual sim China phone for over two years and it's fine.

KonC

easy44

Ask Admin if he would prefer to lose a 19,000 Nokia or a 3,000 China phone next time

But anyway.

I didn't say there wasn't.

It would seem though, that there is confusion about "China phones" and phones made in China.

Posters keep referring to the "crap" produced by China.

I think most would be surprised at how many items they have that were made there. (Jeep Cherokee???)

For what it's worth, I have had a dual sim China phone for over two years and it's fine.

KonC

I think most people know that just about everything is being made in China these days, including name brands. When I hear "China Phones" I think "knockoff" and I would suspect most others do too. I don't think there is any confusion at all.

NittanyLion

I feel the same way Rob did just about every week. I think we all do.

I'm trying to negotiate getting a rental house and every time it fails because the people I'm dealing with don't know how to do proper business. But, that is one of the cons living here. There are many pros to living here though.

I'm afraid that Rob will wind up getting stabbed or shot...which is my own big fear. So, every day I'm trying to teach myself to stay cool and remember that it's only a few dollars and that isn't worth dying or going to jail.

Take the high road and walk away. You don't need to win every battle. It's not worth the stress and headaches...or the repercussions.

Durham

Rob, step back and take a breath. They were just a bunch of kids. And you scare the shit out of them. I know your point. But even your girl played in the game. It is just the way it is. Let go and let God. And I agree it ain't the money.

I agree with redman69.

Those sales clerks, lucky for them if they make P150 A DAY.

Their loyalty is to keep their job.

You lost your cool.

I know how you frustrating it can be. It sucks to feel ripped off.

It's not even the money, it's the feeling of being dissed and taken advantaged of.

And that moment, you feel to let them know, they are not getting away with it.

Reminded me of what happened to me back in Feb 2010 at Robinsons Fuente.

Some guys are selling kitchen and cooking utensils for P49,999 (some demontration too).

They made my mother and grandmother sit and gave them a bunch of supposedly free stuff (about P1,500 max of crap).

Both these very important ladies of my life are just the sweetest, polite, soft spoken persons anyone will ever meet.

I do not know how they got my mother to give them her credit card and charge her P49,999.

My mother swore those people just wanted to see her credit card.

When I got there to meet with the two ladies, they were trying to do the demontration of their products, I said, if those are free how much is the total? P49,999

I said NO. I can get all those from a reputable appliance center like SM for P20,000, also those other stuff are junk and nothing but stainless buckets and are just clutter.

They said, DEAL IS DONE. They are ready to deliver......at first, I said, we are not buying those. They said NO! this is when I started screaming!!!!!! I called them a crook.

They gave me all the excuses why they can't reverse etc etc. There was a guard by the door and thank goodness, although I was very loud, people staring like there was a movie shoot going on.

I just kept calling those people crooks, dishonest, scammers, and that their stuff are junk.

Guess what..... they hurried to reverse the charge. The manager tried to give the last word - 'we didn't scam your mother, she signed the invoice receipt, a couple from California just purchased from us and no problem'

I screamed again asking for his complete name, he then kept quiet and gave me the proof of reversed charges. I shouted, 'I do not care if Oprah, Martha Stewart, or Obama purchased your junk, I do not want them'.

This was the angriest I ever was!!!!! It was embarrassing for my mother and grandmother. They had the look of disappointment.

Grandma scolded me that I acted like they didn't send me to school that I was so ill-mannered.

I wasn't embarrassed of what I did. I want to choke those people for making me so angry I embarrassed and disappoint my mom and grandma.

All that people staring. But at least we didn't have to give them a single dime.

To get P49,999 of my mom's money back, what I did was worth it. But I swear I will never lose my cool ever again.

I understand how angry you were at that moment. When somebody wrongs you, you don't just sit there and allow it to happen.

I wouldn't go as far as destroying properties though. That's just giving them a reason to win even more.

You're the one who needs to let them know they're not getting away with it.

But of course I am a Filipino woman. People may just look at you and feel entitled to want to get a piece of you because you're just supposed to be a foreigner who is supposed to accept it the way it is, suck it up and have no right to complain whatsoever.

Be careful next time. Risking going to jail is not worth it at all.

My wife would have done the same as you.

DeezNuz

Yes, as Admin said. Us big guys can be initmidating. Especially when the locals encounter a guy that looks Filipino, but is large and tall as a Sumo Wrestler and speaks with an American accent. For the most part, I think I've improved over the years. I don't fly off the handle as much as a I used too. It's been almost 15 years since those guys were forced to go to the hospital due to my temper. Thankfully, I wasn't in jail for longer than a weekend for that situation as the judge woudln't consider 4 against 1 as an assault scenario, but self defense.

Now don't get me wrong, there are places that offer good service here in Cebu and that is attributed to good management.

Heres some examples:

When I go to the local pirated DVD/Game store, the people there are very friendly and courteous. I've had issues with their product before and they kindly replaced it. This is why I've continued to spend more than a hundred bucks with them every month.

At Makro just last week, I had a major problem with an over charge of P223. They were hesitant to provide the correct refund, so I had to go inside and physically show them the math on a calculator. Yes I was irrate, yes they were intimidated, but the people there were at least gracious enough to listen to my concerns, review the problem and correct their mistake. I will continue to spend my money there which equates to about P40,000 per month.

So management is ultimately who is to blame and that's whom I wanted to speak too. Yes the workers do what they are told. In this scenario, I am almost positive the store owner & manager was there, standing right in front of me, just too lame ass to admit it. This is typical of bad management.

Now on the bad management side where I had to go as far as to set my attorneys on them:

When I returned from the US a month and a half ago, Delta destroyed one of my bags with about $300 worth of stuff. The Manila baggage counter told me they would correct the problem and just fill out the form and contact Jeff at the Delta Office. I did that and I was told they were only responsible for $50. When I asked to speak to the manager, he refused. I was so angry I had to have one of my assistants take over on the phone as I just started cursing them out over the phone. Ultimately, they were forcing me to have my Attorney in Manila go after them. As soon as their attorney heard the name of my attorney they agreed to send the money. My $300 check will be arriving on Monday.

In my case, It's worth the small fee I pay for their retainer to handle my personal matters. It's very inexpensive and when the line is drawn to the point I get livid, I have them take over. Just as with this recent situation.

Edited by BigRob

Try this approach next time:

You: "Let's have a look at that new battery".

Clerk hands over the P150 battery.

You: "Thanks, I'll take it" (as you put it in your pocket and hand over the broken one)...."Have the manager call me if he has an issue".

This assumes that the security guards would be too scared to stop you on the way out.

elBradford

I have to ask, are you really surprised at their policy? You've obviously lived here long enough to expect that. It was 3 dollars, and no, it's not the principle because to stand on principle assumes at least some dignity. Yeah, we understand it's really frustrating sometimes. Driving on a 2 lane busy road where the traffic is backed up 1 mile long because some pedicab won't pull over is frustrating. But take a page from the filipino guide book and chill out.

KennyF

.When I go to the local pirated DVD/Game store, the people there are very friendly and courteous. I've had issues with their product before and they kindly replaced it. This is why I've continued to spend more than a hundred bucks with them every month.

Rob, you might be losing a bit of sympathy here on the "moral" or "ethical" side of things.

You nearly throw a counter through a window for a small altercation and yet you buy 4,000 pesos worth of stolen goods each month?

Doesn't add up.

KonC

DeezNuz

.When I go to the local pirated DVD/Game store, the people there are very friendly and courteous. I've had issues with their product before and they kindly replaced it. This is why I've continued to spend more than a hundred bucks with them every month.

Rob, you might be losing a bit of sympathy here on the "moral" or "ethical" side of things.

You nearly throw a counter through a window for a small altercation and yet you buy 4,000 pesos worth of stolen goods each month?

Doesn't add up.

KonC

Wow, is your perspective so skewed you actually think I'm looking for sympathy.

Oh my lord, everyone on Linc, please feel sorry for the poor little ole Big Rob!

He was taken advantage of by the evil chinaphone establishment in Cebu.

Crying+man1.jpg

PLEASE donate to my "Say No To ChinaPhone Fund" so we can purge these evil bastards from our beloved Cebu City.

iphone-v1-just-say-no.jpg

Now regarding the pirated movies...I buy from the locals. Yes, I buy a shit load of them and I'm happy to support the locals selling them.

As a matter of fact, the only place I've found that sells BluRay movies are SONY and I already have all 8-titles they carry.

So in the mean time, I download or buy the ones that interest me and if I really like them I purchase them on EBAY and Amazon and have my USA staff mail them to me. I have more than 500 original titles on DVD and am now converting to BluRay.

So ifa local place begins to sell or rent original BluRay titles, I'll have to do it this way.

Now if one of you guys decide to invest into a retail establishment that sells and rents BluRay, I'd be your biggest customer.

Maybe they won't...probably because of the same reason why Bikini Bars don't have P40 Ladies Drinks.

Edited by BigRob
DeezNuz

I have to ask, are you really surprised at their policy? You've obviously lived here long enough to expect that. It was 3 dollars, and no, it's not the principle because to stand on principle assumes at least some dignity. Yeah, we understand it's really frustrating sometimes. Driving on a 2 lane busy road where the traffic is backed up 1 mile long because some pedicab won't pull over is frustrating. But take a page from the filipino guide book and chill out.

elBradford, please let me borrow your copy of the Filipino Guide book. Or maybe you can provide me some one-on-one tutelage.

smokey

i thought pirated software was one of the perks of putting up with the heat??

fanboat

Good one Rob.

The advice to look at the new battery was good.............but your actions are priceless.bashtroll.gif

batman2525

elBradford, please let me borrow your copy of the Filipino Guide book. Or maybe you can provide me some one-on-one tutelage.

are you a big guy?I mean overweight etc....you should try carrying a blood pressure measurment kit around with you,they are only small....soon after you have had your "episode" put the BP cuff around your wrist and measure your BP,it will be sky high and your pulse rate will be out of control...thats your heart racing away......keep doing that too many times and it aint good....if its only a $3 deal...walk away...principe or not and listen to your heart thanking you.