Filipinas And Condoms

They teach nursing students in Siilliman all about that stuff, and they demonstrate how to put a condom on.. using a plastic model..

• 9 years later...
Boise_2_Banilad
On 5/2/2010 at 9:34 PM, rbm said:

Condoms and sex education.

Was talking to a Filipina friend. What surprised me is the total lack of knowledge. Many Filipina have never seen a condom , and have no idea what they were for. Heard of HIV, Aids, but not really understanding how, why, one could be infected. Further although she connected intercourse with pregnancy she had absolutely no ability to find a link to prevention.

I suspect this lack of understanding is sadly typical of her generation and the education facilities here, plus influence of the catholic church. Further it may help explain the extremely high rate of solo mothers through out the country. The population is exploding and is it any wonder why.

This seems rather typical.  Sex ed in the country must be just about nonexistent.  When I first came to Cebu years ago, I dated two Filipina.  Neither knew a thing about contraception.  It almost made me cry to think about these sweet, trusting but hapless young women knowing absolutely nothing about the world. 

They really need to introduce this into curricula or at least talk about it.  Heck, one of my local friends has an unmarried 18 year old daughter who herself already has two babies.  Gorgeous kind girl, but no high school diploma, no prospects as far as I can tell, no nothing.  I mean, that's just completely insane.  My friend and his wife seem to be quite untroubled it though.

• 2 months later...
salmusa
Posted (edited)

I find it hard to believe Filipinas not knowing what a condom is. Condoms are so prevalent they are found in gas stations. I take that they know what it is but too embarrassed to talk about it so openly because they don't. Years ago this hideous disgusting hag from some health department even made an instructional video using her mouth to put a condom on some phallic object intended for high school students and it drove me nuts. Someone posted the video on Youtube but I can't seem to find it anymore. This was when Senator Hontiveros went around distributing condoms in school to "combat" a sudden AIDS epidemic. 

Strangely, they never distribute it in call centers where the AIDS epidemic is coming from.

Edited by salmusa
Davaoeno
2 minutes ago, salmusa said:

I find it hard to believe Filipinas not knowing what a condom is. Condoms are so prevalent they are found in gas stations. I lean that they know what it is but too embarrassed to talk about it so openly. Years ago this hideous disgusting hag from some health department even made an instructional video using her mouth to put a condom on some phallic object intended for high school students and it drove me nuts. Someone posted the video on Youtube but I can't seem to find it anymore. smh

I can make a replacement video using a Banana if you need more instruction ?

• Haha 1
jtmwatchbiz
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, salmusa said:

this hideous disgusting hag from some health department even made an instructional video using her mouth to put a condom on some phallic object

Yea I remember making that video.  She used to call me "phallic object" before I told her my name.   :biggrin_01: 

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
  • Haha 2
to_dave007
3 hours ago, salmusa said:

Strangely, they never distribute it in call centers where the AIDS epidemic is coming from.

Do you have a reference link to justify this statement?

• Haha 1
Paddy
9 hours ago, salmusa said:

I find it hard to believe Filipinas not knowing what a condom is. Condoms are so prevalent they are found in gas stations. 

Not around here (rural provincial Masbate) they’re not. You’re unlikely to see them even in a bigger pharmacy. 

DSWD do, as I understand it, have family planning clinics in the Barangay but they are for the married women only. If contraceptive supplies don’t come from DSWD, their clientele are unlikely to buy their own - even if there was somewhere to buy them - simply because there are more immediate needs for any money they might have. 

Every Filipina in this village, no matter the age and including my educated partner, oohs and ahhs over a new baby. None of them seem to recognize the economic impact to the mother and father (assuming he’s still around). If the new mother is 16ish and the father is nowhere in sight, that just gives a subset of them gossip material at the stand pipe. There is no collective effort to try to solve the problem. 

Any sexed the kids are getting here is coming from Facebook and other questionable sources. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Kreole

I remember when the 100th million baby was born.  It was all celebration.  I wonder if they will be celebrating the 200th million baby?  There always seems to be room for one more.

• Administrator
Dafey
32 minutes ago, Kreole said:

I wonder if they will be celebrating the 200th million baby?

Bet there are gonna be a lot of new births in December and January...just sayin

• Like 3
salmusa
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Do you have a reference link to justify this statement?

I heard it from friends who work in these industries. It was also a focus on DOH before it quickly died down on the media. 

https://auxbreak.com/hiv-cases-in-the-call-center-industry-is-on-the-rise/

https://www.philstar.com/cebu-news/2010/01/30/544838/according-study-call-center-agents-prone-hiv-aids

https://news.abs-cbn.com/lifestyle/02/09/10/no-link-between-call-centers-and-hiv-spread

and from an HIV/AIDS awareness group shown in Sharon Cuneta's show. Its in Taglish though.

Edited by salmusa
SkyMan
18 hours ago, salmusa said:

using her mouth to put a condom

I'm not that flexible anymore.  Never was really. 

• Haha 2
Cgu
21 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

Yea I remember making that video.  She used to call me "phallic object" before I told her my name.   :biggrin_01: 

Yes, I saw that, wondering who that was.

images (3).jpg

• Haha 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

86634741_2620974044802203_6131603218527944704_n.jpg

• Haha 8
Cgu
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

86634741_2620974044802203_6131603218527944704_n.jpg

This is great!!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Administrator