Filipinas And Condoms

Condoms and sex education.

Was talking to a Filipina friend. What surprised me is the total lack of knowledge. Many Filipina have never seen a condom , and have no idea what they were for. Heard of HIV, Aids, but not really understanding how, why, one could be infected. Further although she connected intercourse with pregnancy she had absolutely no ability to find a link to prevention.

I suspect this lack of understanding is sadly typical of her generation and the education facilities here, plus influence of the catholic church. Further it may help explain the extremely high rate of solo mothers through out the country. The population is exploding and is it any wonder why.

• Thanks 1
Nangulo

I, sadly, don't think it's typical of just her generation.

lazydays

Generally contraceptive and STD knowledge is poor,but more is known by the better educated ones.

My wife,when i first met her,knew a little about condom and birth pill protection and had a little understanding of STDs.

She briefly learned about these things in UNI,by her and fellow students asking questions,but its not generally taught in schools or colleges.

It is not true that Filipinas were not educated about contraceptives. Maybe she was absent or not listening to her teachers, or just pretending not to know about them. In general, filipinas know what a CONDOM is already during their high school years.

I knew what a condom was when I was in my elementary years. One of the neighbors blew up a condom like a balloon and gave it to me. At first, I thought it was a unique type of balloon because of its shape, but then he told me it was for adult men to use so their wife won't get pregnant.

• Like 2
mahogany

I believe that various local government units are in fact a very active lot; I have witnessed local health center nurses and midwives travel through the island world, teaching, coaching and then distributing contraceptives for free. Vasectomies are often recommended as are ligations...but people are generally not very interested and have a carefree attitude that seems to be uncalled for.

The reason for the many single mothers is that the local men seem to be very good in "convincing" their girl who in turn believes that she has to "prove" her love to him; once she is pregnant he is afraid, does not take responsibility and then runs away. Many women will offer love-making to the man because they have been taught that that is the way - and are in turn shocked if the man turns down the offer.

Dramatic is another effect: abortions. Thousands of girls die in this country every year as a result of "illegal" abortions; while abortions are not legal here under any circumstances, many will go to have themselves "doctored" on, including self-mutilation, drinking poisonous concoctions etc. with fatal results.

For those who are interested I would recommend among others to visit the website of the Commission on Population: http://www.popcom.gov.ph/

• Thanks 1
Headshot
On 5/2/2010 at 10:50 PM, Shasha said:

It is not true that Filipinas were not educated about contraceptives. Maybe she was absent or not listening to her teachers, or just pretending not to know about them. In general, filipinas know what a CONDOM is already during their high school years.

I knew what a condom was when I was in my elementary years. One of the neighbors blew up a condom like a balloon and gave it to me. At first, I thought it was a unique type of balloon because of its shape, but then he told me it was for adult men to use so their wife won't get pregnant.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can just see a child trying to figure out how this balloon could prevent a woman from getting pregnant.

• Haha 2

I think that within 5 -10 years at the latest that we will be seeing sex ed taught in the RP just as it done in the States. And after it happens, you think the sexual revolution of the '60s will look like a birthday party.

Headshot

I think that within 5 -10 years at the latest that we will be seeing sex ed taught in the RP just as it done in the States. And after it happens, you think the sexual revolution of the '60s will look like a birthday party.

I think you underestimate the power of the Catholic Church here.

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Generally contraceptive and STD knowledge is poor,but more is known by the better educated ones.

My wife,when i first met her,knew a little about condom and birth pill protection and had a little understanding of STDs.

She briefly learned about these things in UNI,by her and fellow students asking questions,but its not generally taught in schools or colleges.

i have to admit when i first started to get to know my would be wife she didn't know much about this stuff ... but then again i don't think i knew any more then she did :thumbsup: but it's hard to remember exactly what i knew back then

anyway my wife and i have spoken about this before over the years .. granted my wife is smart and always has enjoyed education even outside of official channels (reading on her own learning on her own)and being rather poor diving in to learning was a bit of an escape ... she has friends of varying intellect and financial situation

but according to her .. most(by far) know alot more then they care to let on and don't care to put that knowledge to use anyway

quite honestly you see alot of kids doing the same thing here in the states .. they know to use protection if they are going to have sex but can't be bothered to

Athena

There is always been sex educ in PI schools even on my younger days. Looking back, on my growing up years in PI I don't think the lack of knowledge of contraceptives is down to the church influence or for PI being heavily catholic. As been pointed out, Ireland is mostly catholic but that doesn't stop the irish women using contraceptives or abortion for that matter though its illegal in Ireland.

The ignorance in contraception I personally believe is down to most Filipinos attitude to life and its short-sightedness. The live for today and tomorrow will care itself attitude. And lack of mental discipline. Plus the little known fact that most Filipinos lack the grasped of applied theories. They can recite the theory all right but let them try to apply what they just spouted on in practice and they hit a brick wall.

A simple example is - unripe fruits/vegs. Most Filipinos especially those in the provinces knows that if they bring in unripe fruits/veg indoor and dump them in the dark it will hasten the ripening process. But even those that have education cannot explain why this should be unless someone is a keen farmer/agriculturist or fruit/veg vendor. In grade schools, it teaches how things grow from seeds etc and have practical experiments with the mongo bean to show the students. But most cannot grasped that say a tomato ripens indoors quickly than outdoors because the gas (ethylene) produced by the green maturing tomatoes that's needed to ripen them into the full red are trap inside the house and not blown by the wind if the green mature tomatoes are left outside. The dark corner in the house is also warm, which is ideal tomato temp as opposed to direct sunlight which actually destroys the fruit (red).

With contraceptives, it might be taught at schools but its not openly discussed among young ladies. No talks, no discussion, no debates. And certainly no comparison of what is the best method to use. Its like, its ok if people think you are sexually active but they wouldn't know for sure that you are, as they cannot see evidence of contraceptive use. Those that are smart enough to use contraceptive would be hiding her usage or doing it in the sly to avoid being branded a slut! On my day, even to use the pills as prescribed by a doctor to regulate the monthly flow is suspect, and would raised eyebrows - its just not done!

So it would be very rare indeed to hear intelligent discussion among young ladies of what is the best method of contraception and what method is suitable for their needs. Only married ladies discuss such thing. Any unmarried ladies joining in the discussion would raise eyebrows. So knowledge is stifled and not passed on except for the very basic ones. But I do believe, if open discussion of the contraceptives becomes the norm like in western countries - this will change culturally the Filipino people and vis a vis change what is fundamentally moral in a Filipino psyche.

Edited by Elinel
washingtonian88

From Elinel

"Those that are smart enough to use contraceptive would be hiding her usage or doing it in the sly to avoid being branded a slut! On my day, even to use the pills as prescribed by a doctor to regulate the monthly flow is suspect, and would raised eyebrows - its just not done!

So it would be very rare indeed to hear intelligent discussion among young ladies of what is the best method of contraception and what method is suitable for their needs. Only married ladies discuss such thing. Any unmarried ladies joining in the discussion would raise eyebrows. So knowledge is stifled and not passed on except for the very basic ones."

Very very true!

• 4 weeks later...
kingandqueen

In addition to lack of sex education, poor people would spend what little money they have on food not on contraceptives.

On the other hand, DESPITE having sex education and numerous publicized campaigns / crusades in America, many Americans polled about sex also believed in many pregnancy prevention myths.

http://www.testcount...ntion-myths.htm

Even though it is taught that a CONDOM should always be used to prevent pregnancy AND sexually transmitted diseases, how many "educated" foreigners insist that girls only use the pill?

The pill DOES have possible side effects and doctor supervision is advised, but the condom is safe for everyone so there's never an excuse not to use one.

Edited by kingandqueen
  • 1 month later...
On 5/27/2010 at 4:52 PM, kingandqueen said:

In addition to lack of sex education, poor people would spend what little money they have on food not on contraceptives.

On the other hand, DESPITE having sex education and numerous publicized campaigns / crusades in America, many Americans polled about sex also believed in many pregnancy prevention myths.

http://www.testcount...ntion-myths.htm

Even though it is taught that a CONDOM should always be used to prevent pregnancy AND sexually transmitted diseases, how many "educated" foreigners insist that girls only use the pill?

The pill DOES have possible side effects and doctor supervision is advised, but the condom is safe for everyone so there's never an excuse not to use one.

1. There is sex education at school

2. Young girls can get the pill for free at many places.

3. Filipino condoms are probably more the rubber type used for bicycle tires, so nobody wants to use them.

There is a pending bill in our congress call the reproductive health bill (RH Bill). It's a big issue and the Catholic is strongly opposed to it.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
ArieBombarie

My wife is in Cebu, kids are at CIT, 2 girls 14 and 15, they had to attend a seminar at school saterday, asking what it was about it turned out sex education, it seemed to have taken hours, all the wife got out of them was that the message was 'do not use condoms', asking why? 'they break', their idea of birth controll is to tell a bunch of hormone crazy teenagers not to have sex, besides that there is no way of stopping them telling them not to is usually a great incentive to go at it as rabbits. Biggest nightmare of a parent is another kid messing up their education by a teenage pregnancy, you try to get them a decent school and then that is what they tell them, it is criminal.

Edited by ArieBombarie
  • Like 1