Davao?

lazydays

I lived in Davao for a year and found it hotter,cleaner,many malls,cheaper and growing very fast..There is so much fruit there and so cheap..Like the other poster said the mayor there is very strict with known criminals vanishing..To bad the mayor is retiring..Its not hard to hookup with the expats there..

The Mayor's daughter,who is currently deputy Mayor,is odds on to succeed him,she is just as strict.

And the Mayor is running for (deputy) Vice Mayor. Currently his daughter is the (deputy) Vice Mayor. Its a family thing.....they are just trading positions if they both win. Hum...wonder who will really be pulling the strings? It kinda funny. There opposition has posted giant signs saying, Change is what we need, and Change is what we'll have". Today I went into town and saw giant sign strung across the streets saying, "Why Change when we already have the Best". But I like it here, it is a nice place to live.

I agree,to me its pretty much a forgon conclusion as over 90% of the population support the Duterte's.

As the saying goes,"don't fix it,if it ain't broke".

lazydays

I lived in Davao for a year and found it hotter,cleaner,many malls,cheaper and growing very fast..There is so much fruit there and so cheap..Like the other poster said the mayor there is very strict with known criminals vanishing..To bad the mayor is retiring..Its not hard to hookup with the expats there..

The Mayor's daughter,who is currently deputy Mayor,is odds on to succeed him,she is just as strict.

And the Mayor is running for (deputy) Vice Mayor. Currently his daughter is the (deputy) Vice Mayor. Its a family thing.....they are just trading positions if they both win. Hum...wonder who will really be pulling the strings? It kinda funny. There opposition has posted giant signs saying, Change is what we need, and Change is what we'll have". Today I went into town and saw giant sign strung across the streets saying, "Why Change when we already have the Best". But I like it here, it is a nice place to live.

By the sounds of it,if its Daddy or Daughter,I still cant have a smoke in the street!!!sad.gif Can you even have a beer in the street??Or is there a fine for that too??Not being sarcastic,just asking,

I honestly cannot answer your question,i don't know,never seen it,and personally,i never do it.

liquido

I never saw anybody drinking beer on the street..Why would you want to be drinking beer on the street when there are plenty of places to have a beer..Maybe Angeles City you can do that...

By the sounds of it,if its Daddy or Daughter,I still cant have a smoke in the street!!!sad.gif Can you even have a beer in the street??Or is there a fine for that too??Not being sarcastic,just asking,

Paul

I would think you could, but I am not sure of this.

I agree,to me its pretty much a forgon conclusion as over 90% of the population support the Duterte's.

As the saying goes,"don't fix it,if it ain't broke".

I agree that he has the vast majority of the citizens supporting him. Mayor Rody Duterte will be involved in Davao City politics as long as he wishes.

Edited by Admin
lazydays

Just as a side note,Mayor Rody Duterte favourite mode of transport is riding his "Harley D" motor cycle.

m60man

I never saw anybody drinking beer on the street..Why would you want to be drinking beer on the street when there are plenty of places to have a beer..Maybe Angeles City you can do that...

I'm a smoker. I have a smoke while I'm in town, in front of the Malls, Hotels and businesses. Occasionally while walking from one place to another. Now, I do not make a scene of it and from time to time I ask a guard where I can smoke, he points out a place thats not so conspicuous. I do not blatantly flip my butts in the street but rather field strip them and place the filter in a trash receptacle. I don't recommend asking a police officer for a light, that might be pressing it a bit. As for beer. I do see people sitting at street side sari sari stores having a bottle now and then.

As for the Mayor, he can be quite entertaining when he's on the Sunday morning question and answer show. A large portion of his answers are bleeped out due to his profanity. A couple months ago he was caught riding his motorcycle without a helmet. Bad plan. He received a ticket. When he was asked about it on the show, he admitted his guilt. Of course they had to show pictures of his Drivers License, ticket and a few other pieces of paper. He said he paid his fine, but was not happy about the #@#!**&^%# cost! He went on for several minute, mostly being bleeped out. I think the fine may be about 2000 peso's. The bottom line was.......I won't [email protected]!#@!g do that again. Got to love him, he says whats on his mind. Usually in terms that are hard to misinterpret.

loosehead

That's a real positive for me planning to spend a couple of weeks in the davao area in July. I gave up cigarettes when i decided I will retire in the Philippines. I don't fancy spending my twilight years lugging an oxygen cylinder around or havong heart surgery in a country with a poor medical system. You know it's gonna kill you. Banning smoking in town is an excellent move by the mayor to reduce litter and the premature deaths caused by tobacco. I also like to hear he rides a Harley and calls a spade a fu^&%ing shovel. I have heard some stories about vigilante quads which I don't support but i will go there, talk to the locals and make up my own mind. So many posters on this board have said Davao City is beter than Cebu City I just gotta check it out.

How abouit a list of the "must see" places for a newby going to Davao. And any recommendations for live music joints where we can meet some locals and hear some cool music (without any stinking cigarette smoke).

Art

Safe or Not? You people are crazy we live on a planet that is on a knife edge of destruction in a dangerous Universe. A life time of looking to the right then the left before crossing the road has made crossing the road in the Philippines very dangerous for me. The traffic is not safe anywhere.

I was in Davao 2 years ago and saw people smoking in the street not a lot of them. Some sitting in doorways and I saw some foreigners smoking too it was the restaurants and public places that had no smoking rule. They are thinking of banning smoking in Queen St Mall Brisbane when I left more places will follow.

I like the city I am thinking of going there now but not if there are too many smokers you know what they are like you can't trust them I would never let one marry my daughter.

thebob

I was in Davao for a wedding this spring. Now I have nothing against a smoking ban, but they search you and do not allow you to carry cigarettes or lighters in their "Peoples Park". It was very inconvenient to walk around.

Very heavy handed policing, didn't enjoy the vibe there at all.

loosehead

I was in Davao for a wedding this spring. Now I have nothing against a smoking ban, but they search you and do not allow you to carry cigarettes or lighters in their "Peoples Park". It was very inconvenient to walk around.

Very heavy handed policing, didn't enjoy the vibe there at all.

interesting thanks bob....not the type of place you go down the park for a joint then.

C'mon guys if Davao is such a great place, tell me about it. So far:

- I have Paul's hotel recommendation.

- my mate told me to go to Eden Park and Samal island and reckons the Davao Marco Polo is the best hotel in the Phils.

- someone recommended a restaurant but i can't find the thread.

- Kenny's advice that the girls are tall and beautiful.

Are the cabs cool like Cebu otr a bit of a challenge like manila ?

Is there somewhere I can drink while observing the port ?

Are there any good live music joints ?

Where's the best place to see the orchids ?

Is there anywhere like the Ayala terraces ?

Paul
Are the cabs cool like Cebu otr a bit of a challenge like manila ?

The Davao City governing body is pretty strict on the taxis there. I haven't had any issues from taxi drivers in Davao, ever.

---------------------

I'm sorry that I can't really answer the other questions you have. But, I can provide you with some additional information about the city and places to visit:

1. Eden Nature Park

2. The Davao Crocodile Park, and visit Pangil:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3. Additionally, there is the Butterfly House, Davao Wild Water Adventure, and others offered by the PSD Group of companies.

Places to stay while there, if you want 1st class accommodations:

Marco Polo Hotel - Davao City

Waterfront Hotel - Davao City

The Apo View Hotel - Davao City

More information may be found by visiting the Davao City Official Website.

Edited by Admin