Sign in to follow this  
srfc1

Davao?

srfc1

Sorry if i seem ignorant,but people have told me to avoid Mindanao.But on the other side of the coin,someone else said Davao is one of the safest cities in Phils.Apparently the Mayor doesnt take any shit!!lol

I have read posts saying people never had problems here,there,everywhere.Can people give me the goods/bads,dos/donts of Davao?Worth a trip there?What to do,see,places to see etc

Thanks,

Dec

KennyF

The girls seem to me to be taller and more slender, some up around 5'6".

Perhaps Spanish influence.

Don't know if that's of interest to you.

Apart from that, it's hard to get to (for me).

Kenny on Camiguin (By the way, the CDO- Butun-Gingoog area is OK.)

spooks

The majority of Mindanao is as safe as most other parts of the Philippines and is for me a lot safer than Manila!!I wish i was back in CDO!! :biggrin_01: The south west of Mindanao and its islands are the areas of greatest risk :shit_stirrer: and it helps to be very very cautious if planning on going in that direction.

smokey

davao is very safe but remember the laws are followed... dont get caught smoking in a no smoking area or litter on the street or even jay walking ..

mahogany

Safe for what?? If you mean safe for travel I would think it to be as safe as anywhere provided one behaves accordingly. It is one of the more organized places around here. I have traveled around the country quite a bit and have to admit a bias for Mindanao in general. Many expats hanging around there.

m60man

The majority of Mindanao is as safe as most other parts of the Philippines and is for me a lot safer than Manila!!I wish i was back in CDO!! :biggrin_01: The south west of Mindanao and its islands are the areas of greatest risk :shit_stirrer: and it helps to be very very cautious if planning on going in that direction.

Davao is the biggest city in land mass in the Philippines.........some say the world. I live here and quite frankly I prefer it over Cebu. Cebu is a great place and I have lived there, (Talisay, Corona del Mar). I have several friends there, and my wifes family lives in Cebu City. I made a visit here (Davao) in March of 09 and new that this is where I wanted to be. Cleaner, greener and far less pollution. My safety has never been a concern here. As anywhere use good sense and you will be welcomed and feel at home. I too heard the same things from other foreigners and Filipinos as well........don't go to Mindanao. But they only know what they have read and most had never been here. You are right about our Mayor, Rudy Durante, he takes no crap, you do the crime......you will do hard time or worse. Thats a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I'm actually building a home about 35 minutes outside the city proper. Province (country) living but still close enough to the city to be convenient. Most of the trouble here in Mindanao is far to the south, south west of Davao. I will not go into specific areas on line, but if you need to know where to avoid, pm me. Honestly, the trouble spots offer very little to attract foreigners anyway. The Davao City area is a great place and the people are some of the friendliest and helpful I have found in the whole of the Philippines. If you decide to make it down this way give me a shout. Rob

Paul

You may have read where I took a trip to Mindanao this past March. I did a few write ups regarding this trip:

My Trip from Nasipit, through Butuan, and down to Davao City

A review of the VCDU Prince Hotel in Butuan City

A review of the Crown Regency Residences in Davao City

So, I think it is pretty clear that I do not feel that Mindanao is unsafe, for the most part anyway. Granted, there are a few problematic areas one should consider avoiding:

Mindanao - Travel there, or no?

I have visited Davao City on numerous occasions, by the way. I find the city to be very clean, organized, and one of the best in this country. However, it is so large (land area) that it is a bit time consuming going from point A to point B, depending on where you choose to visit. I would not have any problems going there tomorrow, if I needed or wanted to.

Incidentally, Robert mentioned not smoking in public. The fine for smoking in public, currently, is Php 10,000. This is enforced. So are most every other laws that are in place there. Davao City is no place to go against the grain, rest assured.

srfc1

Im not one to smoke in non-smoking areas(inside malls.offices etc),thats not a problem.I presume outside bars,malls,in the street is ok.Also,good to know the laws are enforced.

No post has been negative about Davao.I am aware of the problems on the islands to the South West of Mindanao.Sounds like an ok place for a visit.

Thanks to all who replied.

Paul

Public smoking ban = anywhere in the city. The only places you can smoke, are in the privacy of your own home or hotel room, as far as I am aware of, there.

srfc1

Public smoking ban = anywhere in the city. The only places you can smoke, are in the privacy of your own home or hotel room, as far as I am aware of, there.

I was afraid to ask/say that coz i thought i would sound stupid!Are you for real??You cant even have a smoke outside a mall,bar?wt-hell.gif Its the place to go if you want to cut down on smoking for sure!!surrender.gif

liquido

I lived in Davao for a year and found it hotter,cleaner,many malls,cheaper and growing very fast..There is so much fruit there and so cheap..Like the other poster said the mayor there is very strict with known criminals vanishing..To bad the mayor is retiring..Its not hard to hookup with the expats there..

lazydays

I was afraid to ask/say that coz i thought i would sound stupid!Are you for real??You cant even have a smoke outside a mall,bar?wt-hell.gif Its the place to go if you want to cut down on smoking for sure!!surrender.gif

Some hotels have a "No Smoking" Policy.

lazydays

I lived in Davao for a year and found it hotter,cleaner,many malls,cheaper and growing very fast..There is so much fruit there and so cheap..Like the other poster said the mayor there is very strict with known criminals vanishing..To bad the mayor is retiring..Its not hard to hookup with the expats there..

The Mayor's daughter,who is currently deputy Mayor,is odds on to succeed him,she is just as strict.

m60man

The Mayor's daughter,who is currently deputy Mayor,is odds on to succeed him,she is just as strict.

And the Mayor is running for (deputy) Vice Mayor. Currently his daughter is the (deputy) Vice Mayor. Its a family thing.....they are just trading positions if they both win. Hum...wonder who will really be pulling the strings? It kinda funny. There opposition has posted giant signs saying, Change is what we need, and Change is what we'll have". Today I went into town and saw giant sign strung across the streets saying, "Why Change when we already have the Best". But I like it here, it is a nice place to live.

srfc1

And the Mayor is running for (deputy) Vice Mayor. Currently his daughter is the (deputy) Vice Mayor. Its a family thing.....they are just trading positions if they both win. Hum...wonder who will really be pulling the strings? It kinda funny. There opposition has posted giant signs saying, Change is what we need, and Change is what we'll have". Today I went into town and saw giant sign strung across the streets saying, "Why Change when we already have the Best". But I like it here, it is a nice place to live.

By the sounds of it,if its Daddy or Daughter,I still cant have a smoke in the street!!!sad.gif Can you even have a beer in the street??Or is there a fine for that too??Not being sarcastic,just asking,

Edited by srfc1