Immigration

Markham
Lawyer Norman Tansingco, BI chief of staff said that BI Commissioner Marcelino Libanan decided to waive the fines on the Schengen visa holders at the request of the concerned European governments through their embassies in Manila.

In the form stated above, I don't think any European visitor would qualify for this concession, unless he was Croatian, Turkish or came from another non EU country! A Schengen Visa permits the holder to visit one, or more, of the 15 European countries that are signatories to the Schengen Treaty, 1985, which does not include the UK, Republic of Ireland or former Warsaw Pact countries. However Schengen Visas are not required for citizens of any EU member.

The use of "Schengen visa holders" in this instance is highly confusing and inaccurate.

So who exactly is exempt? Is the exemption restricted to citizens of Schengen Treaty countries? If so, that would mean that neither UK nor Republic of Ireland Passport holders would qualify even though they are just as affected as a French, German, Dutch or Italian stranded visitor is.

"Loose" reporting like this is of little consequence to everyone in this country except those Europeans trying to leave.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sheffieldmel

• Markham

• lazydays

• Mailman

sheffieldmel

I asked at the BoI yesterday and was told that your visa still needs to be up to date before you leave the country WHATEVER the reason for your delay.

Let us know how you went.

Paul

went as far as immigration at the airport the guy on the desk said things looked wrong and he would see a supervisor when she came she just wanted to see the original ticket and told me to go through. the guy on the desk looked baffled as she just walked away that has been my point all way throuh this why dont the people in charge in this country let people underneath them know whats going on. on the down side its bank holiday monday here and just 6 degrees

ancienrocka

I asked at the BoI yesterday and was told that your visa still needs to be up to date before you leave the country WHATEVER the reason for your delay.

Let us know how you went.

Paul

went as far as immigration at the airport the guy on the desk said things looked wrong and he would see a supervisor when she came she just wanted to see the original ticket and told me to go through. the guy on the desk looked baffled as she just walked away that has been my point all way throuh this why dont the people in charge in this country let people underneath them know whats going on. on the down side its bank holiday monday here and just 6 degrees

Happy that all went well mate and that my information was wrong, but like I say to so many of my customers "don't shoot the messenger"!