Immigration

lazydays

Better news when i phoned qatar they gave me a number for immigration at the airport, i rang and they told they were not charging any more if your flight was delayed due to the volcano. Dont know if this just is for people flying with qatar but if anyone else is in the same position as me the number is 3402486 ask for irene.

Mel,i think the waiver on extensions would be for everyone involved in these flight delays,and rightly so.

Side Note] Yesterday,Thailand waived extension fees for 15days for those affected by these flight delays (15 to 30th April),but must prove,by way of their return ticket date.

UK flights will resume today (Tues)

Scotland and Newcastle 7am BST.(PI 2pm)

Manchester Airport 9am BST.(PI 4pm)

Midlands Area 12 mid day BST. (PI 7pm)

Southern Area 6pm BST. (PI Weds 1am)

Keep checking with your Airline for seat availability,you may be lucky.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sheffieldmel

• Markham

• lazydays

• Mailman

sheffieldmel

went to the office and got a flight may 1 no extra cost, so thats ok the visa is ok the only people being bastards are national rail i got a ticket from the airport and they say i cant change the date ok it was no change ticket but you would think they would bend it a bit for tickets from an airport in the past few days.

ancienrocka

I asked at the BoI yesterday and was told that your visa still needs to be up to date before you leave the country WHATEVER the reason for your delay.

Let us know how you went.

Paul

Markham

went to the office and got a flight may 1 no extra cost, so thats ok the visa is ok the only people being bastards are national rail i got a ticket from the airport and they say i cant change the date ok it was no change ticket but you would think they would bend it a bit for tickets from an airport in the past few days.

Please take note of the Ancient One's post that immediately precedes this. BoI do require you to have a valid Visa for your entire stay, period. With regard to your rail ticket, you should be able to get a refund from where you originally purchased it. Should they refuse a refund and you bought it using a credit card, your credit card issuer will issue a refund - so make sure you retain that ticket plus evidence of your inability to travel on the due date (ie your original e-ticket or a copy thereof) and you'll be fine.

Mark

sheffieldmel

what is bol we spoke to the operation manager at the immigration dept at the airport she said applied to all people on tourist visas

Mailman

what is bol

Bureau of Immigration

sheffieldmel

the office in cebu say you need to have your visa up to date the immigration at the airport say they can waver all fees if you provide certification from qatar that the flight did not take place who do you believe ? would the embassy in manila be able to help

A_Simple_Man

who do you believe ?

I would take the option that best suits you, (the airport people), and then go ask for something in writing in case that individual has a day off when you are ready to fly out.

lazydays

Ha Ha,only in the Philippines,the right arm doesn't know what the left arm is doing.

Get it in writing from the Airline that there was no flight available due to Volcanic Ash problem.

Check again with Airport Immigration to see if they give you the same story,and get their name.

I would then go to BOI office with the letter from the Airline,speak to the Manager,show him/her the letter,and tell him/her what the Airport Immigration Officer(name) told you twice,on two different occassions,see what they then say.

If you still have to get an extension,you don't have to get 2 months,you can get 1 month or less.

Just my 10 twocents.gif worth.

Edited by lazydays
Markham

the office in cebu say you need to have your visa up to date the immigration at the airport say they can waver all fees if you provide certification from qatar that the flight did not take place who do you believe ? would the embassy in manila be able to help

Paul - the Ancient One - and I spoke about this briefly last night at the Pizza Party. The rules are quite clear, your Visa Extensions must be fully up to date when you leave the country and the only people who can stamp your Passport to that effect work at the Bureau of Immigration in Mandaue. If your Visa Extensions are not up to date, you may be refused departure clearance and told to visit BoI, thus you will miss your flight.

I suggest you obtain a letter from Qatar's Station Manager stating the reasons you are unable to fly on the original date and which states the date upon which you definitely will be flying; this letter will undoubtedly need to be notarised to have any legal value. You can then take this letter, along with your Passport, to the Bureau of Immigration (BoI) before your current Visa expires and put your case to a senior official there. It is remotely possible that he will be sympathetic and issue an extension for a reduced fee but it's far more likely that you will have to pay the full amount for a month's extension.

The British Embassy will simply state that you should abide by the local laws and requirements of the country.

I suggest you retain all receipts from BoI and make a claim against your travel insurance policy once you return to the UK. You may also be entitled to claim for any additional hotel expenses incurred by you as a consequence of your delayed departure.

Mark

Jess Bartone

I asked at the BoI yesterday and was told that your visa still needs to be up to date before you leave the country WHATEVER the reason for your delay.

Let us know how you went.

Paul

Paul, I don't know if this really applies to this topic, but... remember the big storms in Mindanao middle of January '09? I was stuck in CDO for 3 days, and managed to get a flight out during a brief break in the weather. When I went to check in for my flight to Melbourne (from Manila), immigration said I couldn't leave as my visa was 3 days out of date (my original flight was booked for the last day of my visa). I asked PAL to help me, and a very nice lady walked me up to BoI and told them it's not my fault, I was rained in at CDO. The fellow behind the desk looked me up and down for a moment, smiled, then stamped and signed an extension, no charge.

It's tough being so handsome...shitstormretarded.gif

Markham

If you read Paul's posts over the last few months, you'll see that BoI is really tightening-up its procedures with tourists and has less tolerance towards over-stayers than before. I wouldn't risk missing a flight for the sake of a few Pesos for an extension when I can claim such expenditure on my travel insurance.

The law is clear and Paul has confirmed the BoI position in that the OP does need to obtain an extension of his stay - regardless of the reason.

Mark

sheffieldmel

this morning i got this from the embassy in london

Sir

The latest information we have received from the Bureau of Immigration is as follows:

1. Waiver of immigration fees in favor of passengers affected by the no-fly restrictions in European airspace will be implemented

2. The waiver is subject to presentation of a certification from the airline concerned of their confirmed booking dates

3. Extension of Temporary visitor's visa of the affected foreign nationals may be done at the BID Main Office, Satellite Offices, Field Offices, Sub-port offices and at airports

We suggest that you reconfirm this with the BID in Cebu

Thank you

Philippine Embassy

Theresa Dizon-de Vega

Minister and Consul General

Embassy of the Philippines

6-8 Suffolk St London UK SW1Y 4HG

(+44)2074511800

www.philembassy-uk.org

Markham

I suggest printing that email and taking it, along with a letter from Qatar Airways and your Passport, to the Bureau of Immigration and have them stamp your (free) Extension in your Passport. However the Consul's letter does contain one inaccuracy: you can no longer obtain Extensions of Stay at an airport.

Mark

Mailman

Immigration waives fines for stranded passengers bound for Europe

MANILA, Philippines - The Bureau of Immigration has agreed to waive the immigration penalties and fines for the hundreds of overstaying Europe-bound foreigners who were stranded at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport

(NAIA) for several days as a result of the volcanic eruption in Iceland.

Lawyer Norman Tansingco, BI chief of staff said that BI Commissioner Marcelino Libanan decided to waive the fines on the Schengen visa holders at the request of the concerned European governments through their embassies in Manila.

Tansingco said that in making the request on behalf of their citizens, the embassies informed Libanan that their governments will reciprocate the humanitarian gesture by waiving the fines on Filipino tourists who overstayed in their country, also as a result of the eruption.

Libanan for his part, said the eruption gave governments and private organizations lessons on how we can help each other in a crisis like what happened in Iceland.

Although we are miles away, we were able to communicate effectively to help citizens from different countries and are in distress, Libanan said as he extends his deepest gratitude to different European embassies and private organizations deeply involved in assisting foreigners and Filipinos alike.

According to Tansingco, Libanans office was swamped with requests from the official of the Board of Airline Representatives (BAR) and embassies, particularly envoys from France , Belgium , Switzerland, Austria and Sweden , who sought a waiver of immigration fines on their respective nationals.

In fact, some of the stranded passengers from Germany even came to our office personally to submit their handwritten requests for waiver of fines due to financial constraints, Tansingco said. He said there was no reason for the BI not to grant the requests because it was not the fault of the foreign passengers that they overstayed in the country.

In particularly Tansingco cited the letter of a German national to Libanan who requested that the bureau waives the visa extension fee as his flight back to his country was cancelled due to the volcanic eruption.

As of presstime, news organizations have reported that flights to and from Europe have now resumed as the volcano in Iceland had already calmed after days of sending massive volumes of ash that clouded skies all over Europe, prompting many airlines to suspend operations.

The foreigners who were stranded in Manila were forced to check-in with various five-star hotels in the metropolis while awaiting the resumption of their cancelled flights.

It was reported, however, that some of the airlines and embassies came to the rescue of their stranded citizens by shouldering the expenses for their hotels and accommodations.

:twocents:

Edited by Mailman