Sign in to follow this  
retired

Any Electrical Engineers On Board

retired

Just wondering if the forum had any electrical engineers , or anyone else , that might have some input regarding a lively debate going on here in northern Mindanao regarding the brown outs that are occurring and how a household might have access to power 30% less , time wise , but have an increase in KWH consumption by 15 - 20% ? Not talking specifically about higher bill , though obviously that is the end result , but higher consumption .

As i understand it , when the power comes back on there is a period of time for the load to stabilize for say 10 - 15 minutes so let's assume you don't re - connect to the grid until the load has stabilized . Assuming you are running the same appliances , etc and factoring in the fact that a fridge or ac will have to work harder to get things cooled back down that would still not seem to explain a 15 - 20% increase in consumption . Some , in fact , are using their own gensets so would not even have the 'cool down' factor in play .

Some folks think it a conspiracy of course , some believe the meter reader ain't reading the meter properly or that there is something wrong with their meter ( ours for instance looks like 1960's version ) . The power company spoke person that responded directly to a forum request for information basically danced around the issues raised by giving the standard pat answers , none of which specifically answered the direct questions of the posters as loosely stated in the first paragraph above .

Now , i will freely admit that i am a bit of a dummy when it comes to electrical in general and a whole lot dummy when it comes to electrical in the Philippines but some of our other forum members are not and in some cases have had or still have electrical backgrounds in one way or another .

Examples:

Poster 1

Our normal bill is around PHP 9,000.00, then the February bill was around PHP 7,000.00 which made sense as around 30% of the time electricity was off. Our last bill (with also 30% less electricity) was PHP 10,500.00. It seems we

Woolf

I have heard that it has been very dry there for a while

that results in higher outside temperature (the rain not cooling the air and the ground)

that could be the reason for the higher consumption of electricity

the aircon has to work harder

retired

OK , i will then take it that there is no one on board this forum with any logical explanations either . :-)