Sign in to follow this  
Paul

How Long After Intercourse Can A Woman Take A Pregnancy Test?

kar wren

Hello people!

Just wanted to say, i really like what am reading. A lot of opinions exchanged etcetera. Let's stay on topic though, or maybe make a new thread on something else not related to the Original post inquiry. Salamat po! :lee_popcorn:

Penguin

I am looking at my calendar and that test was wasted money, no wonder it was negative. It will be negative in 4 days. It will more than likely be negative in a week.

Once conception occurs, the body starts producing the hormone that the urine test detects. They have a sensitivity that generally takes anywhere from two to three weeks to detect. Generally implantation occurs about 10 to 14 days after conception and within a day or two of this, it can start to show up on the more sensitive tests. The newer more sensitive tests are designed to detect pregnancy a few day before a period comes, this means about 10 days after conception.

The girl had unprotected sex on the 29th which puts a conception time from the 29th to about April 1st or 2nd. Even the best tests on the market couldn't even possibly detect it until the 8th or 9th. A cheapo test might not be able to detect until the 12th or 13th at the earliest. And that is when the test is done at the most optimal time, the first urine of the morning. But every pregnancy is different. In real life, a detection window will be from April 12th until April 23rd or 24th.

I know this because of my wife. We were testing everyday and the test that we had only showed up 16 days after she ovulated.

Lee From Cebu

I picked on Broden because he had just posted, so I knew that he was looking at the thread (Sorry Karen...I hadn't even noticed that Paul had elevated you to moderator. I'm not sure if congratulations or condolences are in order). I was just giving Paul a small ration of shit for breaking his own rules. No big deal, but I thought somebody should mention it.

However, this discussion has been quite enlightening to me. In the past, comments like this would have been called. Now, they don't seem to matter, so I now have a different understanding of the forum rules. I have to wonder if the reaction will be the same next time somebody decides to offer their true feelings about the effects of Islam on the world. That religion is much bigger than the Catholic Church (1/3 of the world's population), so I guess that it's OK to badmouth their beliefs now on the forum...since they are a "big dog" and can take care of themselves. It will certainly make for some interesting reading.

I think you're understanding the unwritten forum rules much better now. You can talk religion provided you denigrate it or otherwise agree it generally sucks. You can't talk politics unless you're a right winger condemning the left in general or Obama specifically, and you can't be racist unless its against Koreans.

All other religious, political, or racist posts are uncalled for and a violation of forum rules.

Ok for all you cry babys here is the forum rule

Politics & Religion - These two topics almost always cause flaming. Do not post your political or religious beliefs anywhere on this forum.

you are allowed to post against religion and politics...

just can not post your views IE: quoting scripture or political views

no rule at all about Koreans that I can find :lee_popcorn:

til

As far as I remember all pregnancy tests state to be accurate x days after the missed period, not after impregnation.

Of course in this case you could safely assume that impregnation can't be much later than the second time she did it (unless there's been a third time since...) and you should get an accurate reading 10 days or more after that.

Ah well Penguin said it all already.

I'm reading up on it and what I see is: up to 6 days after impregnation(which in turn could be "a few days" after sex) no test can detect the pregnancy because the hormone they test for is not produced yet, after that the level of the hormone hcg rises constantly and peaks between day 60 and 70 of pregnancy.

This might be relevant for me soon, sometime after the honeymoon :lee_popcorn:

broden

some of the early tests say 4 days before you're expected missed period or 5 days earlier then older type tests

even if you gave her this first one too early and it ends up wrong .. at least she got a few days peace of mind out of it .. and time to maybe settle down a bit

Headshot

some of the early tests say 4 days before you're expected missed period or 5 days earlier then older type tests

even if you gave her this first one too early and it ends up wrong .. at least she got a few days peace of mind out of it .. and time to maybe settle down a bit

Yeah, but I would wait at least two more weeks before she uses the second test. Three or four weeks from now would be even better. And don't worry about trying to calculate missed periods. With a lot of Filipinas, their periods are very spread out and irregular. Three months between periods is not unusual for Filipinas. Many Filipinas don't even start menstruating until they are 15 or 16 years old (some even later) because they don't get proper nutrition and their body doesn't function as it should. Therefore, trying to calculate cycles is useless.

Penguin

As far as I remember all pregnancy tests state to be accurate x days after the missed period, not after impregnation.

Of course in this case you could safely assume that impregnation can't be much later than the second time she did it (unless there's been a third time since...) and you should get an accurate reading 10 days or more after that.

Ah well Penguin said it all already.

I'm reading up on it and what I see is: up to 6 days after impregnation(which in turn could be "a few days" after sex) no test can detect the pregnancy because the hormone they test for is not produced yet, after that the level of the hormone hcg rises constantly and peaks between day 60 and 70 of pregnancy.

This might be relevant for me soon, sometime after the honeymoon :lee_popcorn:

Yeah they use the missed period date because women generally don't know when they are ovulating, they usually do know when their period is due. It just so happens that ovulation usually around the middle of a normal 28 day period. On the first missed day of period, it's usually 14 days after conception. But of course that varies by women, sometimes by up to a week. You can't even get an accurate reading until about two weeks after conception, you can try but that's all you will do, try. And not be very successful.

You are right about the HCG though. 10 days after conception is about the fastest any test can detect anything and then that is scratching it. Pregnancy test are big bucks in the US and the more often they get women to use them then the more money they make.

I didn't comment earlier about the Catholic Church thing, but I will say this. Filipinos in general are very ignorant about birth control. In fact, you can buy just about medicine at the pharmacy without a prescription, but I do know people who have been asked for prescriptions when trying to buy birth control pills. Crazy crazy.

I think before we rile about the Catholic Church we should try to do better. One way to do is better is to properly educate people. This girl has no idea about getting pregnant. She should be taught the ramifications and her options. I suggest that the OP talk to the girl and explain how people get pregnant and how she can control whether she gets pregnant or not. You don't do this by giving her a test a few days after sex and then make her feel good about not being pregnant. It's better to explain how the body works and make her understand that it's impossible to know until such and such a date and take a test then.

srfc1

Sounds like she trusts your help more than her family's help.Or maybe she is too embarrassed/ashamed to tell them.Either way,nice for her to know you are around to help out/advise.thumbsup.gif

On-in-2

those that call themselves atheist because in truth deep inside they are actually mad at God for some perceived slight and thus refuse to believe

I'm not going to pick apart your whole post...but let's just look at this one sentence, ok?

How can someone be mad at something or someone without believing in its very existence?

This is a logical impossibility. It is one of the major fallacies that believers cite when attempting to label atheism as a 'faith'.

Oh well...there aren't many arguments in favor of 'faith'...but another tired and faulty one is.."You can't prove that god doesn't exist".

People to whom that statement makes sense, just need to examine their thinking processes.

Pete of New Hampshire

broden

there are many things that are logically impossible in the world .. i'm talking from personal experience.. plain and simple .. i've known many people who deep down believe and then simply refuse to .. some going back

the human mind and psyche work in amazing ways allowing for many conflicts within

that said believe what you like .. as will i and anyone else

Paul

The rabbit lived. My friend started her menstruation, and the guy who nailed her is very lucky too, I suppose.

I was informed as soon as she was certain of this.

Thanks to all, for your help in this matter.

Edited by Admin

broden

good deal Paul

hope this sinks in for her

Willie

The rabbit lived. My friend started her menstruation, and the guy who nailed her is very lucky too, I suppose.

I was informed as soon as she was certain of this.

Thanks to all, for your help in this matter.

playboy-bunny-costume.jpg