Sign in to follow this  
cebubird

Types Of Fish

DeezNuz

Yeah, the oilfish will only fight when they get about 100-meters from the surface. You bottom fish for those behemoth (around 300-400 meters depth)

When they get to closer to the surface, they constantly keep diving back down to a comfortable depth. So a fight could last as long as a couple hours depending on how big the fish is and your endurance level.

OIL FISH

DSC03675.JPG

The mouth is large enough to engulf the head of an aduly human being.

DSC03680.JPG

The one on the right is 45-kilos. It took 1.5 hours to land it.

You need to use about 2-meters of 80-100# wire leader with a 12-0 size circle hook on the end. The scales of an oilfish are similar to that of a pineapple but on each scale containes two sharp barbs that will cut 200# mono leader as if it were thread. Lest your hand come in contact with their scales, count on getting a few hundred stitches on the palms and fingers of your hands. It'll shred them all to hell.

Edited by BigRob

Jess Bartone

How often do you go fishing off Siargao? I'm jumping in my seat with excitement here, would absolutely love to land just one good oilfish. How much would a spot on the gunwale cost me for such an expedition?

til

I've been in siargao fishing with junior gonzales there. He asked 5000 pesos for a day of trolling, which is a good price I think and that included tackle and bait. Plus he really knows what he's doing.

But the sea was really rough! That's on the open pacific with some real waves, not like inbetween the islands around Cebu.

n1169437633_30336100_7397.jpg

n1169437633_30336109_8887.jpg

n1169437633_30336101_8417.jpg

DeezNuz

The first time I went to Siargao was in March 2009 and the swells were pushing 4-meters, and we were about 2-hours from shore (Pilar). Quite a rush and an amazing experience for anyone, especially when you do it in a little pump boat no wider than my ass.

The International Game Fishing Tournament is this month. So I suggest going afterwards. I'll be heading there next month with a Group of Friends. The El Nino has kind of screwed up the typical fishing paterns and I suspect the bill fish to be arriving a little later than usual. (Typical Billfishing season in the Philippines is March thru July) They migrate North.

Right now I'm told they're only landing little 15kg sail fish and even though the Dorado season has has gone by (2-months passed), they're still landing them!

I'm all prepared for it! I ended up buying about a thousand bucks worth of lures and fishing equipment at Bass Pro's a couple weeks ago.

Edited by BigRob

atomic

Hey BigRob whats a good line choice for mahi mahi fishing there? Im grabing my line here before I come.

shadow

God, I would LOVE to have some flounder. I haven't had an opportunity to eat broiled flounder in a decade!

Paul,

My guess is that your not missing much at all, there in Cebu, when it comes to flounder. Here in the States, I live very close to the cold waters of the Atlantic, our Flounder/Fluke/Halibut, are tough to beat when it comes to flavor. But just go south some, to like North Carolina, where the waters aren't as cold, and the Flounder taste like crap. The meat is mushy and taste like hell......Nothing tops the fish from the Cold Altantic waters, Cod and Fluke being my top two favorites. Stuffed with blue crab meat and there tough to beat.

I'de suspect the same,warm waters of the Philippines and surrounding seas, probably not the best of flounder meat........JMHO.

I was raised on the shores of cold pacific waters, and also did a fair amount of fishing in the higher elevation lakes of Wyoming and Montana. I know what you mean. I have been sorely disappointed in the lack of flavor of most fish here. Give me halibut, sturgeon, paddlefish, northern pike, and walleye anyday!

Oh, and how about some dungeness crab and gooeyducks?

Cold water fish rules!

Larry in Dumaguete

easy44

Dungenous Crab!!!! Yes!!!! I would pay just about anything for a nice big one.

fanboat

When I was living in Davao I would go to the fish market there and get swordfish (malasugi)...IMHO this is the only fish i like for making Kinilaw..One inch steaks were also good on the grill....It always cost more than tuna but well worth it...

Yeah...swordfish mmakes good tacos too..found it at Robinson super market on sale for 220 a kilo.

fanboat

God, I would LOVE to have some flounder. I haven't had an opportunity to eat broiled flounder in a decade!

Paul,

My guess is that your not missing much at all, there in Cebu, when it comes to flounder. Here in the States, I live very close to the cold waters of the Atlantic, our Flounder/Fluke/Halibut, are tough to beat when it comes to flavor. But just go south some, to like North Carolina, where the waters aren't as cold, and the Flounder taste like crap. The meat is mushy and taste like hell......Nothing tops the fish from the Cold Altantic waters, Cod and Fluke being my top two favorites. Stuffed with blue crab meat and there tough to beat.

I'de suspect the same,warm waters of the Philippines and surrounding seas, probably not the best of flounder meat........JMHO.

I was raised on the shores of cold pacific waters, and also did a fair amount of fishing in the higher elevation lakes of Wyoming and Montana. I know what you mean. I have been sorely disappointed in the lack of flavor of most fish here. Give me halibut, sturgeon, paddlefish, northern pike, and walleye anyday!

Cold water fish rules!

Larry in Dumaguete

Oh Yeah Larry,Halibut is great,one day I would like to fly to Alaska and catch some them big ones.

Dungeness crabs are the best food ever...netted a bunch back in 72',Oregon coast.

DeezNuz

Hey BigRob whats a good line choice for mahi mahi fishing there? Im grabing my line here before I come.

30lb is what the more experienced guys will use. 50lb for those that need extra assurance. 80lbs+ for the noobs.

We had a gest go to Siargao last weekend and landed a sail, Dorado, Dog tooth Tuna and a small 25-kilo oilfish.

shadow

Paul,

Cold water fish rules!

Larry in Dumaguete

Oh Yeah Larry,Halibut is great,one day I would like to fly to Alaska and catch some them big ones.

Dungeness crabs are the best food ever...netted a bunch back in 72',Oregon coast.

I was born and raised in the Newport area.

Larry in Dumaguete

Cebuned

Paul,

Cold water fish rules!

Larry in Dumaguete

Larry in Dumaguete

Larry, you must know one of my favorite squid fishing hangouts then.... " GOAT ISLAND " area, RI/USA :unsure:

DeezNuz

In case you guys misssed the thread...

This is happening this weekend...

gallery_5388_210_23892.jpg

GOOGLE map to Porters Marina in Lilo-An

fanboat

Paul,

Cold water fish rules!

Larry in Dumaguete

Larry in Dumaguete

Small world after all...it was Newport I netted them Crabs.

ps...RBM said you and I should have a beer together.

Cebuned

In case you guys misssed the thread...

This is happening this weekend...

gallery_5388_210_23892.jpg

GOOGLE map to Porters Marina in Lilo-An

Big Rob, how do you find the quality and selection of Fishing Rods, found in the TCE Tackle Shop? I'll be bringing a number of my reels with me during this trip, but it's a gamble traveling with the rods themselves. I may just leave my rods at home and purchase new rods to match my reels, from TCE. I'm sure he can use the buisness and I can always use a new rod or 5 ......LOL

Thanks,

Ned