Sign in to follow this  
cebubird

Types Of Fish

DeezNuz

This one office I worked as a kid...one of the saddistic saleguy's would torment the puffer fish in the company aquarium when the owner was out of the office. He would grab a broom and stuff the handle in the tank just to chase the poor fish around and poke it till it puffs up.

Jess Bartone

I heard there is one of the larger species of puffer fish in Japan that will come up to swimmers and bite a 1/4" chunk out of their legs. Maybe that's why they like to eat themoldtimer.gif

Cebuned

God, I would LOVE to have some flounder. I haven't had an opportunity to eat broiled flounder in a decade!

Paul,

My guess is that your not missing much at all, there in Cebu, when it comes to flounder. Here in the States, I live very close to the cold waters of the Atlantic, our Flounder/Fluke/Halibut, are tough to beat when it comes to flavor. But just go south some, to like North Carolina, where the waters aren't as cold, and the Flounder taste like crap. The meat is mushy and taste like hell......Nothing tops the fish from the Cold Altantic waters, Cod and Fluke being my top two favorites. Stuffed with blue crab meat and there tough to beat.

I'de suspect the same,warm waters of the Philippines and surrounding seas, probably not the best of flounder meat........JMHO.

til

I heard there is one of the larger species of puffer fish in Japan that will come up to swimmers and bite a 1/4" chunk out of their legs.

That sounds more like what the titan trigger fish likes to do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_triggerfish

cebubird

God, I would LOVE to have some flounder. I haven't had an opportunity to eat broiled flounder in a decade!

Paul,

My guess is that your not missing much at all, there in Cebu, when it comes to flounder. Here in the States, I live very close to the cold waters of the Atlantic, our Flounder/Fluke/Halibut, are tough to beat when it comes to flavor. But just go south some, to like North Carolina, where the waters aren't as cold, and the Flounder taste like crap. The meat is mushy and taste like hell......Nothing tops the fish from the Cold Altantic waters, Cod and Fluke being my top two favorites. Stuffed with blue crab meat and there tough to beat.

I'de suspect the same,warm waters of the Philippines and surrounding seas, probably not the best of flounder meat........JMHO.

and just MHO as a florida boy-I think your cod/fluke/halibut etc tastes like crap and cant compare with our flounder and grouper dolphin etc.

But that is just different tastes from people in different parts of country(world) you probably dont like black eye peas rice and cornbread either,

Not being smart ass-just pointing out different people have different tastes.

Bill

RogerDuMond

There is a Fish Species list that encompasses most of the types that inhabit the Philippine waters. Feel free to click the link on my signature line (below) and check out the Fish Species section.

Grouper, Snapper can be caught all year round here. Dolphin fish is seasonal, latter part of the year towards the beginning. I have yet to see any flounder or Cobia.

Right now is the start of billfish season. So Cagayan (in Luzon) and Siargao are the two top fishing destinations for Sportsmen. I'll actually be heading to Siargao Island in the next couple weeks to try and get some fishing in before the start of the Game FIshing Tournament.

Also Rob, grouper, snapper and kingfish are reef dwellers and can be caught while anchored or drifting. Mahi mahi (dolphin) and the bill fish are caught while trolling so you will find more of the grouper, kingfish, and snapper available for sale.

Bob Ward

There is a Fish Species list that encompasses most of the types that inhabit the Philippine waters. Feel free to click the link on my signature line (below) and check out the Fish Species section.

Grouper, Snapper can be caught all year round here. Dolphin fish is seasonal, latter part of the year towards the beginning. I have yet to see any flounder or Cobia.

Right now is the start of billfish season. So Cagayan (in Luzon) and Siargao are the two top fishing destinations for Sportsmen. I'll actually be heading to Siargao Island in the next couple weeks to try and get some fishing in before the start of the Game FIshing Tournament.

Also Rob, grouper, snapper and kingfish are reef dwellers and can be caught while anchored or drifting. Mahi mahi (dolphin) and the bill fish are caught while trolling so you will find more of the grouper, kingfish, and snapper available for sale.

Kingfish are migratory and I've caught thousands of the while trolling!

RogerDuMond

Kingfish are migratory and I've caught thousands of the while trolling!

Maybe I should have said reef scavengers instead of reef dwellers. I have caught allot of kingfish while drifting and anchored using chunks of squid but never one mahi mahi nor bill fish that way. Another great tasting reef scavenger fish is the tile fish, but they are usually found in deeper water (at least here in Florida).

Cebuned

Paul,

and just MHO as a florida boy-I think your cod/fluke/halibut etc tastes like crap and cant compare with our flounder and grouper dolphin etc.

But that is just different tastes from people in different parts of country(world) you probably dont like black eye peas rice and cornbread either,

Not being smart ass-just pointing out different people have different tastes.

Bill

You left out one of your best tasting fish down south ( warmer waters ) that we don't get to enjoy up North here, Red Snapper. Love It ! I will agree with you, everyone has different taste and growing up with and eating the local fish found here, I'm sure that is what my taste bud's favor. Maybe I could have gone a little lighter on the crap label, but I'de love to have a blind folded taste test of Cold water flounder VS warm water flounders. That would be a better all around taste test I guess. Don't get me wrong, there are many items I prefer from Southern areas and warmer waters, than I do North and cold waters. Point given, Cherrystone Clams, best I've ever had come from the Emerald Isle area of North Carolina, make our here in CT taste like crap...Ops, there I go again....LOL And yes, I do enjoy a good piece of cornbread, with a big slab of butter on it, toasted prefered :)

liquido

When I was living in Davao I would go to the fish market there and get swordfish (malasugi)...IMHO this is the only fish i like for making Kinilaw..One inch steaks were also good on the grill....It always cost more than tuna but well worth it...

Spango58

Where i live in Western Australia we have most of the species that u get in Cebu and surrounding areas, Lapu Lapu is Coral Trout i have only seen small ones over there, here they r larger around the 80 to 95 cm mark, the other species i am familiar with is Bangus or Milk Fish which i net for, here we use it as bait, where as in Cebu its eaten, another species they have in Bohol is White Schnapper we call it Spangled Emperor, also have seen Painted Crayfish (Lobster) the same size has we get here, most of the fish i have seen in Tabunok market would not be allowed to be kept here where i live, as they r undersize.

Cheers

Mark

DeezNuz

Check out the gallery page of the CebuSPortFishing website and you can see a good number of species caught in Cebu and surrounding areas.

Barrcuda.jpg

Barracuda caught while trolling in Mactan

DSC03668.JPG

Oil Fish landed in Siargao

dogtooth.jpg

Landed while trolling in Mactan

cebusportfishing_2nd_intl_gamefishing_tourny%20%2852%29.jpg

Edited by BigRob

Lee From Cebu

I checked your site out rob :thumbs_down: wow theres a huge number of fish caught and nice pictures :paul:

Jess Bartone

Rob those Oilfish are awesome, are they big fighters?

Spango58

Here is a macky my son caught recently here in Exmouth where we live.

Cheers

Mark

post-5539-12707007718_thumb.jpg