Sign in to follow this  
cebubird

Types Of Fish

cebubird

I know we have some fisherman on the forum and I have have couple questions.

Do the Philippine waters have grouper, snapper, flounder, cobia, dolphin?

If so what are these fish called there?

I have looked at a lot of fish in the markets, big grocery stores, and at waterfront on Mactan,

and didnt see any that looked like any of these fish.

Thanks

DeezNuz

There is a Fish Species list that encompasses most of the types that inhabit the Philippine waters. Feel free to click the link on my signature line (below) and check out the Fish Species section.

Grouper, Snapper can be caught all year round here. Dolphin fish is seasonal, latter part of the year towards the beginning. I have yet to see any flounder or Cobia.

Right now is the start of billfish season. So Cagayan (in Luzon) and Siargao are the two top fishing destinations for Sportsmen. I'll actually be heading to Siargao Island in the next couple weeks to try and get some fishing in before the start of the Game FIshing Tournament.

cebubird

There is a Fish Species list that encompasses most of the types that inhabit the Philippine waters. Feel free to click the link on my signature line (below) and check out the Fish Species section.

Grouper, Snapper can be caught all year round here. Dolphin fish is seasonal, latter part of the year towards the beginning. I have yet to see any flounder or Cobia.

Right now is the start of billfish season. So Cagayan (in Luzon) and Siargao are the two top fishing destinations for Sportsmen. I'll actually be heading to Siargao Island in the next couple weeks to try and get some fishing in before the start of the Game FIshing Tournament.

Daghan salamat Big Rob!!!!!

Paul

God, I would LOVE to have some flounder. I haven't had an opportunity to eat broiled flounder in a decade!

MrSuave

What is available for freshwater fishing? I know you have talapia and snakeheads ... anything else?

liquido

This girl that I know here in Mactan with limited english told me back in January her grandpa and 4 others died from the fish he prepared here in Mactan..I asked her what kind of fish it was and she stated the one "that puffs up"...I assumed it was a Puffer fish and she said they had them at the market here...Can this be true??I thought only people in Japan eat this cooked by a licensed chef...

til

The puffer fish is not poisonous everywhere, since it gets its poison form some algae it eats or something. But I don't know if you can safely eat it in the phils...

And On Topic of fish names:

I know lapu-lapu is a small kind of grouper.

The dolphin fish is called mahi mahi.

I don't think there is much cobia or flounder.

There is a big kind of gar they call bao or something.

Barilis is tuna (smallish kind).

Often you have more than one name for the same fish.

DeezNuz

What is available for freshwater fishing? I know you have talapia and snakeheads ... anything else?

They have Large Mouth Bass up North. I don't care too much for fresh water fishing any longer. A 5-30 second fight is nothing compared to the challenge of a 30-minute to 4-hour long fight with big game during deep sea fishing.

DeezNuz

This girl that I know here in Mactan with limited english told me back in January her grandpa and 4 others died from the fish he prepared here in Mactan..I asked her what kind of fish it was and she stated the one "that puffs up"...I assumed it was a Puffer fish and she said they had them at the market here...Can this be true??I thought only people in Japan eat this cooked by a licensed chef...

On another post, I had mentioned that I was fishing at the Mactan Yacht Club pier and landed a 2-kilo 'booteetee' (puffer fish). I was about to throw the fish back when one of the guards exclaimed that her wanted it. It was a tiger puffer, to my recollection, hence poisonous. So I warned the guy. He wanted the fish anyways and said that he would be eating it...

...I've never seen the security guard ever again.

huh.gif

Jess Bartone

With the puffer fish, I'm not sure about the algae, but I have read that the flesh is not poisonous, it is only if the point of your knife touches the internal organs, especially the liver, and the testes in the male. Just a scratch can release the extremely potent toxins which dissipate rapidly throughout the flesh. It takes the skill and steady hand of a brain surgeon, hence the high level of training required. I also read that several dozen people die every year from puffer poisoning, but they consider it such a delicacy they are willing to take the risk. Back in the 50s, four Italian immigrants (two married couples) went on a camping and fishing holiday S-E of Melbourne at Tooradin, and their decomposing bodies were found a few weeks later in the tents. Forensics found remains of puffer fish in their stomachs.

I remember as kids we would catch them (not intentionally) and tickle them with our boots until they puffed up, then stomp them with the heel, and they would explode with a bang.

broden

With the puffer fish, I'm not sure about the algae, but I have read that the flesh is not poisonous, it is only if the point of your knife touches the internal organs, especially the liver, and the testes in the male. Just a scratch can release the extremely potent toxins which dissipate rapidly throughout the flesh. It takes the skill and steady hand of a brain surgeon, hence the high level of training required. I also read that several dozen people die every year from puffer poisoning, but they consider it such a delicacy they are willing to take the risk. Back in the 50s, four Italian immigrants (two married couples) went on a camping and fishing holiday S-E of Melbourne at Tooradin, and their decomposing bodies were found a few weeks later in the tents. Forensics found remains of puffer fish in their stomachs.

I remember as kids we would catch them (not intentionally) and tickle them with our boots until they puffed up, then stomp them with the heel, and they would explode with a bang.

yeah i get deadly too if someone touches my testes with a knife

Jess Bartone

yeah i get deadly too if someone touches my testes with a knife

lmao.gif

til

Well I had to read up on the Fugu:

It's not algae, but actually bacteria that produce the poison.

You can produce non-toxic Fugu in fish farms if you control their diet.

The most poison is in the liver and ovaries(roe) (the milk is edible it seems) and also the skin.

Edited by til

Jess Bartone

I have taken some risks in my life but... I don't care if he's the most respected chef in all of Japan, I'm not eating his fugu.