Buying a motorcycle

JohnFromTexas

Jess Bartone

NICE bike! Dual plugs: do they fire simultaneously or alternating? .....

Dual plugs spark together, and create a bigger combustion fire, burning the fuel more efficiently, resulting in more horsepower. Therefore, theoretically, if you ride at the same pace, you will use less fuel (lower throttle setting to achieve the same km/h).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jess Bartone

• Billyand

• GanjaBoy

• JohnFromTexas

David_LivinginTalisay

David, how much does their medical cost? And does the cycle insurance cover medical expenses due to accident?

Tex,

All approved Motor Insurance covers 3rd Party Liability.

The Limit of Liability for such is normally Php50,000

Types of Coverages

• Compulsory Third Party Liability (CTPL) - is provided for by PD 612, making compulsory the motor vehicle insurance against third party liability death and bodily injuries. The CTPL coverage is a requirement before the registration and operation of any motor vehicle. The minimum required coverage can be increased as requested through Excess Third Party Bodily Injury/Death Cover (EPTL).
  • Third Party Liability - the insurer will pay all sums (subject to the schedule of limits of Liability) necessary to discharge liability of the assured in respect of accidental damage to property not belonging to or held in trust by, or in the custody or control of the assured or any member of the assured's household or being conveyed by the insured vehicle as a consequence to the operation of the vehicle.
  • Loss or Damage - this coverage specifies the protection afforded the assured insofar as his vehicle is concerned. It covers all accidental damages and malicious damages by any third person (other than an employee of the assured) to the insured car and/or its accessories and spare parts (excluding mechanical breakdown and wear and tear but including damage resulting from these causes when such resultant damage is caused by accidental means).
  • Theft - this covers loss or damage arising out of burglary, housebreaking or theft.
  • Personal Accident - this provides indemnity (benefits) for loss resulting or solely from bodily injuries caused by external accident causes while the Insured/authorized driver or any of his or her passengers are riding in, boarding or alighting from the insured vehicle.
    Benefits provided are as follows:
    a. Death
    b. Permanent Disablement or Dismemberment
    c. Medical or Surgical Treatment

This us from my Malayan Insurance Policy Document:-

Policy No. MC-0051-200802472

SECTION 1/II

LIMITS OF LIABILITY PREMIUM PAID

THIRD PARTY LIABILITY =p= 100,000.00 =p= 200.00

(SUBJECT TO THE SCHEDULE OF INDEMNITIES)

SECTION III PREMIUMS

INSURED'S ESTIMATE OF VALUE OF SCHEDULED VEHICLE

=p= 135,000.00

SECTIONS 1/II 200.00

SECTIONS III OD/THEFT 3,915.00

SECTIONS 1V-A 70.00

SECTIONS 1V-B 370.00

AUTO P.A 600.00

TOTAL PREMIUM 5,155.00

MUNICIPAL TAX 20.78

VAT 618.60

DOCUMENTARY STAMPS 659.50

COC-AV FEE 56.00

TOTAL AMOUNT FEE =P= 6,514.00

SECTION IV

A. BODILY INJURY B. PROPERTY DAMAGE

100,000.00 100,000.00

See this copy of the Policy Document:-

MOTORCYCLE 1 POLICY.docx

My 150cc Sinski....46,000 new.........nobody wants to steal it....good storage...good in traffic........hangs with the big dogs...nobody gave me shit...still waiting for it!

Second bike...125cc Rusi...cost new...39,000....Gigi rides this around town.

Is that Sinski one of thees:

100_0740.jpg

I hold this one for a friend who will be back here in 2011! Its a great look! The chrome is rusting though, but it runs well!

lol robert

how does insurance work here for these things??

As a foreigner you should have a good insurance on your bike, Ayala Life building, I think 11th floor. But, ask for Perla Insurance,Ma Lou! You will get an Insurance that covers it all, Like third part, your bike, passenger and rider! Price less than 5000,- php each!

I got three bikes insured there!

When I was looking for good Insurance for my Yamaha XT225, I think it was Motor Cycle Philippines Forum that it was suggested the best one was Malayan Insurance.

Our House and Contents insured with Malayan's 'Home Protect' with optional Family Hospitalisation, and we made 2 claims of Php30,000 and Php35,000 in 2008. Malayan paid up on providing the receipts from the Hospital and Medical Certification, for my daughters Appendectomy and my Heart Catheter 'Angiogram'. My daughter just dlevered a 1 months premature baby via cesarean section, so we might be able to get Php20,000 for that surgical operation and Php2,000 a day for expenses (Php4,000/day if ICU).

Also have my Hyundai Matrix 1.5CRDi VGT insured with them Fully Comprehensive. This vehicle is 5 Years old on 1st June and they value it @ Php400,000 and the premium renewal is about Php5,000 currently (and dropping due to Vehicle Value Depreciation, and No Claim Discount)

At first, Malayan would not consider insuring my Yamaha XT225, under all risks Fully comprehensive cover, as "Product limited to motorcycles with at least 400cc displacement."

My Yamaha XT225 cost Php160,000 so no problem with "Minimum market value of Php 100,000.00." or "Exotic Brands: American, European, Japanese."

However after contacting Malayan Insurance Head Office via e-mail, and explaining I had been riding Motorcycles from 125cc to 750cc for 40+ Years and had passed the ' Advanced Riding Test' with the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM), conducted by an Examiner who holds Police Class1 Motorcycle License in the UK.

post-198-126914218185_thumb.jpg

Malayan Insurance did then agree to insure my 225cc Yamaha XT225.

Premium is about Php4,000pa.

logo-motorcycle1.jpg

M1.gif

motorfront2.jpgEnjoy your ride with full protection from the No. 1, Malayan Insurance

1) Compulsory-Third Party Liability

Cruise through the hassles of your Motorcycle Registration

2) Loss/Own Damage

Malayan takes pride in its claims settlement reputation in the same way proud owners value their exotic bikes. Financially protect your precious bike from damage or theft.

3) Third Party Liability Protection

Riding involves great responsibility, and you always run the risk of accidentally hurting someone or damaging another person's property. Malayan shoulders this risks to keep your riding experience refreshing as if it was your first time to ride again.

4) Riders' Personal Accident

Protect yourself and your passenger against misfortunes of accidents.

5) Acts of God Protection

Secure your precious bike for the unexpected. This optional cover will provide coverage for damages directly caused by typhoon, flood, hurricane, volcanic eruption, earthquake, or other forces of nature.

6) Riots, Strikes & Malicious Damage Coverage

We make sure our customers are not victims of social unrest and lawless elements. This optional cover will respond to losses incurred due to damages intentionally or unintentionally done by third parties.

QUALIFICATIONS:

1) Product limited to motorcycles with at least 400cc displacement.

2) Minimum market value of Php 100,000.00.

3) Exotic Brands: American, European, Japanese.

NB: I do not work for, or represent, Malayan Insurance/RCBC or any Yuchengco Group Company (YGC),

just a satisfied Malayan Insurance customer, sharing my experience with Members of this Forum.

Yes that's about what my Insurance covers too! I also have our hose insured there. And I know from a friend that its no big deal having them payout! I newer had to!

fanboat

I got a mickey Mouse automatic scooter....but I like the little bastard

Hey, I am one that doesnt care what other people think about me too. However, I personally dont like being the butt of other guy's jokes in a public place while I am trying to just relax. There is a difference about it. Sure, it has only happened to me once, but you also do get extra respect from everyone (Filipino and foreigner alike) over a big bike. I cant count how many times people have stopped me to comment on my big bike.

I guess in a way I do like what people think about me sometimes. After all, if you enjoy it when a Filipina is eyeballing you or flirting with you, then you do car what some people think about you. The fact that I do enjoy it when people like my big bike and that I enjoy it when a Filipina takes notice of me means I do care about what people are saying/thinking about me. I'm just not driven by it.

Also, a bigger bike is good for bigger guys. They dont have to be expensive either. You can find 400 to 600cc bikes for well under 100k pesos. Its also nice to have a bit of "get up and go" power when needed, and if you weight over 200 lbs, you need a bigger cc engine to get it. You dont want to sputter up a hill with jeeneys passing you up do you?

If finances are an issue, maybe you're just not ready for a bike. A good bike is going to cost you no matter how you slice it. Even a Suzuki raider 150 costs 80k used, where as an older 600cc bike could cost the same. I like the raider, given it is also a 6 speed, but when I rode a friend of mines even my wife laughed as I was too tall and big for that bike.

My advice from previous ownership ....

Buy any bike you like as long as it's not CHINESE!

I bought my wife a brand new Chinese 150cc Jonway scooter about 3 1/2 years ago. This scooter has turned out to be the biggest POS that I have ever owned!

I got so fed up with this cooter, I finally just gave the POS to a church friend of my wife. I think the guy got it to run for about a week ... it's now been parked at his house for the last 6 months.

Total garbage!

I hear they say so, but never had any problems with my "China rice cooker" Starts and run every day for nearly four years! But I keep it clean, change oil every other month and do necessary service! Changed tires ones, and spark plug every year, that's it!

Good for about 110 Kmph a good cruising speed at about 80 Kmph after changing sprockets and went from 120 profile to 130 on the rear wheel tire!

fanboat

Well said...Tex rode my bike and he is new to riding...so i am thinking,the automatic would be the safest thing for him.

I know what you are saying about power...at times I am wide open going up the national hwy...yet a boy could out run me up hill.

ps...I got 2 big bikes in california

Hope we can ride sometime....i will stand next to your big bike i i need to score a lady,hehe

JohnFromTexas

come on guys, you're in the philippines -- you definitely don't need a bike to score a lady here, just your pale skin :oldtimer:

come on guys, you're in the philippines -- you definitely don't need a bike to score a lady here, just your pale skin :yourock:

:):oldtimer::notallthere::oldtimer: :oldtimer: Your right!

Edited by Billyand

Tex, I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not saying you need a big bike to score the ladies. Besides, both you and I are married and are off the market anyway. I was just saying that even though I dont "care what other people think", in a way I do because I do enjoy it when the ladies eyeball me or flirt (even when I'm not near my bike).

Tex, I think you also enjoy having Filipinas flirt with you too, so in that sense you are in fact impacted by what other people think of you. I'm sure that if the Filipinas were throwing up every time they saw you it would take its toll on you emotionally, even though you have claimed in a post above that you "dont care what other people think".

Reasons for getting a big bike are:

1. It will take a big guy around faster, and accelerate faster when you need it.

2. You wont look like a clown at a road show like you would on a scooter. A big guy on a small scooter is an exercise in comedy.

3. It will garner some respect from both Filipinos and foreigners and even though we all "dont care what other people think", it is a similar experience to how you feel when you notice a 20 year old Filipina batting her eyelashes at you.

Reasons to not get a big bike and go with a 150cc type bike are:

1. Small bikes cant accelerate too fast with a big guy on it, so you have less of a chance of doing something stupid and getting in an accident. A 1200cc bike can be like riding a rocket and its just a little too easy to accelerate too fast and find yourself in a bit of trouble.

2. Great on the gas.

3. Not too expensive, but depends on which one you get.

JohnFromTexas

I know what you mean ganja... and no, I don't mind when the girls flirt or say I'm gwapo, but it's not something I worry about or need either, so it's not a motivation at all with the bike... it's funny you made that list because #1, 2 and 3 are all reasons I'm looking at the smaller bikes... I really am an absolute beginner and even fanboat's 150cc scooter went plenty fast for me and I never got a chance to see how fast it would go. As it is even at scooter speeds I had to break fairly hard a couple of times to avoid traffic coming to a stop or cars pulling out in front of me in traffic. I'd like to take it on longer trips but that's only something I'd be doing occasionally. 90% of the time it would just be a getting around cebu bike, and there are not very many hills at all on the roads I usually travel around here.... so it seems like I would really only need the bigger bike for trips outside the city.

Also it seems most of the higher cc bikes are all clutch driven/non-automatic. I know how to drive clutch in a car but not on a bike.... how hard is it to learn?

I would think an automatic would have more parts and thus be more susceptible to breaking than a manual transmission. I'd highly recommend you give a manual transmission a test drive. When I first learned how to drive one it took about 15 minutes to get it right.

My reasoning for going with manual transmission are two fold:

1. Automatics SHOULD be more complex mechanically and thus more to worry about breaking down.

2. Another perception thing you probably dont care about.

It does seem hard to imagine that a human being isnt going to feel a bit of a pump emotionally when they are praised. This is why a married man who is happy with the action at home is still going to feel good when a Filipina flirts with him. It should feel good inside when another human being says something nice about your bike.

Oh ya....

I've been told and have experienced first hand that "big bikes" dont get hassled by the cops. You wont get pulled over at road blocks and they wont bother you over issues like helmets and stuff. When I drove a 150cc bike I did get pulled over for illegal left turn, at road blocks, etc. I've NEVER been pulled over on the big bike, and I HAVE gone through road blocks and they DO wave me right on by - more than one time too.

My mechanic and many other Filipinos have all told me this thing about not being bothered by the cops.

fanboat

Tex, I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not saying you need a big bike to score the ladies. Besides, both you and I are married and are off the market anyway. I was just saying that even though I dont "care what other people think", in a way I do because I do enjoy it when the ladies eyeball me or flirt (even when I'm not near my bike).

Tex, I think you also enjoy having Filipinas flirt with you too, so in that sense you are in fact impacted by what other people think of you. I'm sure that if the Filipinas were throwing up every time they saw you it would take its toll on you emotionally, even though you have claimed in a post above that you "dont care what other people think".

Reasons for getting a big bike are:

1. It will take a big guy around faster, and accelerate faster when you need it.

2. You wont look like a clown at a road show like you would on a scooter. A big guy on a small scooter is an exercise in comedy.

3. It will garner some respect from both Filipinos and foreigners and even though we all "dont care what other people think", it is a similar experience to how you feel when you notice a 20 year old Filipina batting her eyelashes at you.

Reasons to not get a big bike and go with a 150cc type bike are:

1. Small bikes cant accelerate too fast with a big guy on it, so you have less of a chance of doing something stupid and getting in an accident. A 1200cc bike can be like riding a rocket and its just a little too easy to accelerate too fast and find yourself in a bit of trouble.

2. Great on the gas.

3. Not too expensive, but depends on which one you get.

CLOWN....you make my beer boil.........I guess you stick to the big bikes and admire your ride...i will stick to my friends that don't have your better than thou attitude.

ps......i ride 10 times more miles a year thanyou do........and never has anyone had the balls to tell me i am a joke!

ps......i ride 10 times more miles a year thanyou do........and never has anyone had the balls to tell me i am a joke!

Is this an indication of your ESP or have you been sneaking over to my place and taking notes from my odometer every so often to know what I drive?

Are you 300lbs driving a bike with tires smaller than a typical US car's donut type tire? If so, people are having a little humor in their day over seeing such a sight - but hey, you dont care what other people think. Wait....

you make my beer boil....

Logic states that you in fact do care what other people think of you. A person who really didnt care what other people think of them wouldnt be having their beer boiling over such a statement.

stick_poke.gif

Edited by GanjaBoy