Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Take a trip through Mindanao, north to south

Paul

I recently spent eight (8) days traveling through Mindanao, north to south. I booked passage on Cebu Ferries Lines boat, the Cebu Ferry 2. This boat is the newest addition to Cebu Ferries Lines, currently offering service from Cebu to Nasipit port (Butuan), via Surigao City. Cebu Ferry 2 also offers service from Cebu to Ormoc. Vivian and I departed from Pier 4, on a Thursday at 7:30PM.

Traveling comfortably is something I always appreciate, so I booked a state room on board the Cebu Ferry 2. The trip time aboard the boat was 12 hours, one way. The charge for the state room is Php 3,266, not including PPA (Philippine Port Authority) and freight fees (for any vehicle you may take with you).

gallery_1_371_49538.jpg

The stateroom on board included a refrigerator with two bottles of Nature's Spring water in the refrigerator, a flat screen LCD television on the wall, offering ten channels of satellite programming, a private CR (bathroom), a double bed and two bunk beds. So, you could also book a stateroom on aboard, good for a family of four, comfortably.

The boat arrived in Nasipit Pier the following morning, at 7:30AM, as scheduled. This was after making a brief stop off at Surigao City, Surigao del Norte. Upon arriving at Nasipit, I got the motorcycle off the boat and we headed down the highway. Here is the route we took through Mindanao:

As a side note, there are Jollibee restaurants in Butuan, San Francisco, Tagum, and Davao City. There are also McDonald's restaurants in Butuan and Davao cities.

gallery_1_371_54539.jpg

Here are some photos of the trip along the way. A rice field with a beautiful mountain view in the background:

gallery_1_371_18026.jpg

Mindanao isn't lacking in rice, for sure:

gallery_1_371_30953.jpg

The motorcycle below is what is called a "Skylab" habal-habal. You can see these, or similar models, for most of the trip:

gallery_1_371_22936.jpg

Another style of a "Skylab" habal-habal that I viewed during my trip through the island:

gallery_1_371_7106.jpg

A vendor along the provincial highway, selling fruits and vegetables.

One thing I appreciated during this trip, was Lanzones for sale at only Php 30 / kilo.

gallery_1_371_5203.jpg

Over night, we stayed at a small "motel" in Nagbunturan, Davao del Norte, located about 90 kilometers north of Davao City. I had taken my time traveling and stopped for site seeing along the way. Thus, I was unable to make it quite all the way to Davao in one day. Not to mention, I had a flat tire on the motorcycle in Nagbunturan. So, I figured someone was trying to tell me something. We stopped for the night.

Below is a view of the entrance of the "motel" we stayed in Nagbunturan. It was called the Com Val (Compostella Valley) Tourist Inn, located in Nabunturan Town, Davao del Norte. The cost for a room with air-con, hot and cold water, television, double and single beds, dining table, and very roomy, was Php 800.

Incidentally, we ordered a total of about Php 300 worth of food from this place. It was more than we both could eat, and was excellent. There were no complaints regarding the food. They still served us, although it was a bit late in the evening, by the time I ordered.

gallery_1_371_22848.jpg

The following morning, we woke, got ready to go, and headed on toward Davao City.

The highways through much of Mindanao are actually in pretty good shape, considering the size of the trucks that run up and down them. This particular highway was in good shape for most of the way between Nasipit to Davao City. The landscape scenes were absolutely breathtaking at times. This particular route took me over several mountain ranges, and over 330 kilometers, one way. By the time I had returned from this trip, I had clocked almost 1,000 kilometers. If you want to take a nice, relaxing trip through a wonderful island, definitely consider taking the route that I did, sometime.

In closing, I must say, had the brownouts not been as long, and as frequent, we would have extended our stay on the island. It just became a bit of a pain in the ass, arriving at every destination where a brownout was just about to begin, or was already on going.

Related write ups:

VCDU Prince Hotel - Butuan City - The hotel we stayed in, while in Butuan City on this particular trip.

Crown Regency Residences - Davao City - The hotel we stayed in, while in Davao City on this particular trip.

Oh, one last point. I started a thread, almost four (4) months ago now, titled "Mindanao - Travel there, or no?" I advise you to read that thread, primarily to see what I, and others were saying - was, and is true. Folks, don't go by information that is posted by members (banned or active) who have limited traveling experience through the Philippines. Additionally, use the same cautions here in the Philippines that you would use in your respective home countries.

• Like 1

joemama

looks like a nice trip paul, those habal habal skylab things, you on one side, me on the other, if one of us got off, that would definitely be fun to watch haha

• Like 1

Jess Bartone

I'll definitely take the trip, looks fantastic, and could rattle Lazydays' cage while I'm therelaugh.gif. Don't think you'll get me on a skylab thoughnot_me.gif. What kind of bike you got Paul?

canadianguy

Satellite on a moving ferry. That makes me laugh. Is it still as pixalated and useless as it was when I rode the ferry a few years go?

State Trooper

Ive done that trip with my motorcycle a couple of times but alas Ive not been able to for the past 2 years since Ive been in China. Im planning the trip however on July 3....two weeks after I get back to Cebu.

WHat are the current fees for your motorcycle? Was it much of a hassle? Nasipit pier has always been much easier to deal with than Cebu pier but how about Cebu Ferries?

Willie

Mindanao!? North to south?! My God man! You weren't raped, pillaged, and plundered?! Such risk taking! Are you mad?!

• Like 1

mello874

That is a great trip, Did it in 1991 on the Bus. Round trip.

Paul
looks like a nice trip paul, those habal habal skylab things, you on one side, me on the other, if one of us got off, that would definitely be fun to watch haha

You know, we both should show up down there and do just that. It would be one hell of a photo opportunity! :D

What kind of bike you got Paul?

It's a 2006 Honda XR200 dirt bike that I babysit for a friend:

gallery_1_99_119664.jpg

Satellite on a moving ferry. That makes me laugh. Is it still as pixalated and useless as it was when I rode the ferry a few years go?

Actually, the programming on board offered about 10 or 12 channels, as I recall, and the movies were fine most of the time.

WHat are the current fees for your motorcycle?

Below is the freight bill for the return trip. The I was charged Php 951.45 for the bike. But, the fees will depend on the actual size of the unit (the total cubic meters of space it takes up on the boat), and what you value the motorcycle at. A Honda XR200, properly measured, will be charged for 1.75 cubic meters of space. If you let the counter person at 2GO (The Aboitiz freight division for shipping on board their vessels) figure it on his own, he will charge you for 2.50 cubic meters. I made them go outside to the bike and measure it, which they didn't know how to do. He was going to measure, for the height, a straight line from the ground, up the forks, to the top of the bike. Proper measurement should be from the top of the bike (handlebars) straight down to the ground.

gallery_1_371_125176.jpg

Was it much of a hassle? Nasipit pier has always been much easier to deal with than Cebu pier but how about Cebu Ferries?

State Trooper, I don't know that I really want to take a bike again, on any of the larger shipping lines. It is more of a pain in the ass than it is worth, even at a small pier like Nasipit. Upon arriving at Nasipit, I still had to jump through hoops before they would let me take the bike off the pier.

On departure, it was more of a pain in the ass. You start at one building, and head to another, and then to another. Then you finally park the bike while you wait to be checked through with your luggage and bags. After you go through all of that, then, you may finally put the motorcycle on the boat.

Honestly, I like the ease and less bullshit of the smaller shipping lines. A couple that immediately come to mind are Roble Shipping and Super Shuttle Ferry (no relationship to SuperFerry or Cebu Ferries). For example, I can take the bike to Super Shuttle Ferry's Pier 8, check it and myself in, pay Php 2,000 all up (Php 1,100 and Php 900), put the motorcycle on the boat, and get under weigh to Camiguin. Upon arrival on Camiguin Island, I simply leave the boat (with the bike), pay the pier fee (something like Php 10 or Php 20) as I am driving off, and then be on my way. Try doing that at a pier in Cagayan de Oro!! You will pull your hair out trying to get a vehicle off the boat at CDO, trust me!

Mindanao!? North to south?! My God man! You weren't raped, pillaged, and plundered?! Such risk taking! Are you mad?!

LOL. Absolutely, and returned south to north, too! (In his best Popeye voice) I feared for me life every moment!

I must have completely lost it to take such a trip. I must be completely insane. Of course, I did have a flat tire while in Nabunturan. That should count for something, right? :D

broden

hey paul get onna these electric bikes for your next trip .. you can carry it in a backpack

Capella-The-Electric-Backpack-Bicycle-809.jpg

or this

Uno-segway-782.jpg

or this

Honda-U3-X-984.jpg

cool site by the way

http://www.futuristspeaker.com/2009/12/4-trends-to-watch-in-2010-%E2%80%93-the-personal-mobility-explosion/

Edited by broden

Paul
hey paul get onna these electric bikes for your next trip .. you can carry it in a backpack

--------- truncated --------

Well, the only issues with that suggestion are: Link 1 or Link 2 or Link 3

:D :D :stick_poke::pimp::biggrin_01:

broden

--------- truncated --------

Well, the only issues with that suggestion are: Link 1 or Link 2 or Link 3

:D :D :stick_poke::pimp::biggrin_01:

haha well it looks like it has pedals on it too haha

besides this is the one i wanna see you tooling around in

honda_cyborglegs_wjbwu_54.jpg

alright alright .. seriously, cool pics thanks for all the info and stuff

Paul

Sorry, folks. I had neglected to add the Nagbunturan portion of my trip in the original post. It is near the bottom of the post, if you care to go back and read it.

JamesMusslewhite

Paul,

I wish you would have PM me, I would have loved to have had met you when you came to Surigao City. Remember me next time.:thats-funny:

Paul

Hi James,

My apologies for not being more clear in my post. I didn't mean I stopped there. I meant the boat stops there on its way from Cebu to Nasipit. The route is via Surigao. Had I planned a shore visit to Surigao, I most definitely would have contacted you ahead of time to let you know so we could meet up.

Here is the schedule for the boat from Cebu to Nasipit (via Surigao).

My apologies for the confusion,

Paul

elBradford

Reading this makes me really excited for my trip! Especially through Mindanao, I've never been to Mindanao before. How does the XR200 feel? I'm a big guy, 6'3" and about 210 lbs.