tortillas

BulaBula

Does anyone know where I can buy tortillas? I tried rastans but no joy.

shadow

There are generally several brands at Ayala supermarket, as well as many other supermarkets.

Larry in Dumaguete

You need to look in the freezer section of the stores... ayala super market.... fooda... tinderbox also has them.. The flour tortillas they make here do not taste the same as the one's in the states..they are made with shortening and not lard..Never found corn tortillas here other than at Maya restaurant and they were damn good.. So we just make are own..

Taz

For flour tortillas I highly recommend that you make them by hand as needed. The frozen tortillas being mentioned here dont hold a candle to freshly made at home tortillas.

For corn flowers, you are SOL. I'm very happy to have had a friend just arrive from the States who brought me 300 real Mexican corn tortillas! laugh.gif

liquido

If you are on Mactan Island you will find fresh flour or wheat Tortilla's at Cafe De France located in Tamiya or in Savemore at Marina Mall..About 1 foot diameter size..not bad..try in morning cause they go fast..

I might add they make decent bread also,Oatmeal and Wheat....NOT SWEET

Edited by liquido
SkyMan

For flour tortillas I highly recommend that you make them by hand as needed. The frozen tortillas being mentioned here dont hold a candle to freshly made at home tortillas.

For corn flowers, you are SOL. I'm very happy to have had a friend just arrive from the States who brought me 300 real Mexican corn tortillas! laugh.gif

Would love to try. Do you have a good recipe/instructions?

Tex-Mex Flour Tortillas

Ingredients:

1 cup All-Purpose Flour

1/2 tsp Baking Powder

1 tsp Salt

2 tbsp Cooking Oil (Lard is perferred if you can find it)

1/2 cup Warm Low Fat Milk

Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and oil.

Slowly add the warm milk.

Stir until a loose, sticky ball is formed.

Knead the dough for about 3 minutes on a floured surface. If the dough remains too sticky, add a little more flour as necessary while kneading.

After kneading, the dough should be firm and soft.

Place the dough ball in a small bowl covered with plastic wrap. Let rest for 30 Min.

After the dough ball has rested, break off into 4 equal sized round balls.

Place one of the round dough balls on a floured surface. Pat it out into a 4 inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin until it's thin and about 10 inches in diameter. Continue with the other balls.

In a dry large sized skillet heated on medium heat, cook each tortilla about I minute on each side. (It will start to puff up and get dark brown in certain areas on the bottom when done)

Keep cooked tortillas refrigerated and covered until ready to eat.

Makes 4 tortillas

fanboat

I find small flour tortillas in the frozen section,next to pizza dough at Robinsons.

Its easy to make flour tortillas too.

I tried making corn tortillas...but had no luck yet.

Thanks for the responses guys, I never thought to look in the frozen section, haha.

If you can imagine me explaining that I'm looking for flat round bread to the store clerk, and he's directing me to pancake mix or something. :D

samatm

Thanks for the responses guys, I never thought to look in the frozen section, haha.

If you can imagine me explaining that I'm looking for flat round bread to the store clerk, and he's directing me to pancake mix or something. :P

I saw them at the Gaisano Grand supermarket in Basak.. Frozen section next to lumpia wrappers. Think I'll make a batch myself.

Ayala Metro has Old El Paso burrito kits @ P298. The kit has 8 soft flour tortillas, 1 packet of chilli and bean burrito spice mix and a sachet of mild salsa. But they don't sell tortillas by themselves.

easy44

Ayala Metro has Old El Paso burrito kits @ P298. The kit has 8 soft flour tortillas, 1 packet of chilli and bean burrito spice mix and a sachet of mild salsa. But they don't sell tortillas by themselves.

Yes they do, right next to the lumpia wrappers and pizza dough. They had them last Monday, but they do sell out quick.

DeezNuz

HAHAHAHA!!!

I brought pack two large packs fo Tortilla'sfrom the US with me. Old El Paso Brand!!!

Along with Taco Bell Seasoning and a couple cans pf Old El Paso refried beans!

Burrito and taco night this Friday!!!