a new type of visa info..... wife is leaving this heaven on earth

smokey

well we applied for a IR-1 visa((( wife to the US ))) officially nov 23,2009 that is when they finally received all the papers from the ever slow as mud post office... we heard back Jan 17 and this time brought the papers required and handed them in person in manila Feb 23, 2010 well today she received her medical appointment for march 29 and her interview April 5,, guess if your married over two years it is as easy as I was told... much quicker then a K1... but the trick is to be married 2 years or more. needless to say she is excited

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• GanjaBoy

• SkyMan

• The Mason

Congrats Roberts.

Has your wife ever been in the US before ? If she spends anytime over here (in the USA) I am willing to bet that all of those preconcived ideas of life here will change very quick. My wife(living here over 6 years ) now understands that $ does not grow on trees. That it is not always cold here - if U are living in the south. Not all women in the USA are beautiful. There are no maids waiting on her hand and foot. There is such a thing as a time clock and being late is not acceptable. She now knows that living day to day is not as easy as she once belived.

I hope your wife enjoys herself on her visit. If ya'll get down south near Memphis PM me.

shadow

I'm a little confused. If you have Philippine residence you should have filed DCF (direct consular filing), in which case you would hand the application to Manila in person in the first place, no post office involved. DCF is quicker than filing from stateside.

OR, did you file from the US?

Larry in Dumaguete

Athena

Congraturations robert and good luck for the upcoming interview. I hope the medical and interview will be smooth for your wife. Im sure your wife will be OK in the states. She sounds a level headed woman to me

washingtonian88

Congratulations Robert!

You have been married some years. I am sure you have told her the real world, about the USA.

Generally, the USA is a great place.

Of course, it comes down to each individual.

She will have to share your real life here in the USA as she has shared her life in PI with you.

I am sure you have learned about PI through her, personal experiences.

You may have learned that what you may have read or heard may not have been the same as yours.

Same thing would be the same for her.

She will learn more about the US through you.

And I mean "Your Real Life", not those of on TV or the lalaland perception about U$ of A.

And yeah, we use clocks here in the USA! Hehehe. It is rude and disrespectful to be late. You do as you say you would do! Filipinos are notorious for saying, they would deliver something at 2pm, but actually they meant 4pm and act like it was nothing.

Very true, everybody works here. There are bills to pay here. A lot of them. Mom will not pay for it, not Ante in the US who constantly sends money will pay for it, not anymore.

Generous hubby might pay for it, but there is something called "budgeting".

She will do just fine.

I am sure she is very excited.

Congrats again to you both!

Trey ;)

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i'm just waiting to see what robert does when she needs to be bailed out for telling some cop to stick it

JohnFromTexas

Congrats Robert. Hope things go well for you and keep us informed. We will be putting our application in next month.

In talking to one of the people over at the city hall who we have been dealing with for our marriage and license papers, I believe I have found out part of the reason it takes so long for spousal visas. When you get your marriage certificate that is just a local copy. Before your spousal visa can be approved, the government has to receive an official 'security' copy. We were told by the official that they send ALL of them at one time once a year. So it doesn't matter if you get your copy at the local city hall, until that copy reaches manila, you won't get approved as technically the federal government does not know you are actually married ;) We paid the guy to expedite our papers and are supposed to have our official 'security' version in 3 weeks.

Please let us know how things go for you

washingtonian88

i'm just waiting to see what robert does when she needs to be bailed out for telling some cop to stick it

When I got pulled over here in the US, I almost thought of giving the officer some "lunch break money".

Good thing, the officer only gave me a warning. Driving 40s on a 35.

My honey says, it would have been 'bribery' and that it would have been a serious offense.

Well, I did that when I was pulled over driving in Cebu City, turned right on a no turn right, I think it was. I gave 'lunch money' and the officer scolded me and let me go.

So don't do that! Hehehe.

Trey ;)

wingandprayer

I'll add to the list of "Congrats Robert". My wife will be very interested in reading this post. Her Visa has been the focus of many, many conversations lately and any new info is great.

lazydays

Congrats Robert.

The 2yr married,confirms what i had also heard.

lazydays

Congrats Robert. Hope things go well for you and keep us informed. We will be putting our application in next month.

In talking to one of the people over at the city hall who we have been dealing with for our marriage and license papers, I believe I have found out part of the reason it takes so long for spousal visas. When you get your marriage certificate that is just a local copy. Before your spousal visa can be approved, the government has to receive an official 'security' copy. We were told by the official that they send ALL of them at one time once a year. So it doesn't matter if you get your copy at the local city hall, until that copy reaches manila, you won't get approved as technically the federal government does not know you are actually married smile.gif We paid the guy to expedite our papers and are supposed to have our official 'security' version in 3 weeks.

Please let us know how things go for you

Your experience is correct,the local copy you get at your wedding ceremony is not recognised by the authorities.

You have to wait until you receive your NSO (National Statistics Office) official marriage cert,which can take time.

smokey

I'm a little confused. If you have Philippine residence you should have filed DCF (direct consular filing), in which case you would hand the application to Manila in person in the first place, no post office involved. DCF is quicker than filing from stateside.

Larry in Dumaguete

we sent the application in and the first time they sent it back requesting NOT a managers check and the payment was to be made to homeland security and not the embassy... well this took over one month for them to get this info back to us and also wanted her annulment papers and original marriage cert. and it had to be stamped annulled their reply back to us was thru the snail mail... she is excited i will go with her for the first month to see a new granddaughter and get her set up with a place.. we are doing this so she will be able to be get some of the bennies later i hope much later like when it comes time for SS ...

Edited by robert51

Welcome to government red tape Robert. But after your wife gets her visa, then it will be all worth it.

Larry in Dumaguete

we sent the application in and the first time they sent it back requesting NOT a managers check and the payment was to be made to homeland security and not the embassy... well this took over one month for them to get this info back to us and also wanted her annulment papers and original marriage cert. and it had to be stamped annulled their reply back to us was thru the snail mail...